Which storage do i choose?

so long story short, im making a PC and was wondering what storage options should i go with, 2 options:  kingston ssd sata 960GB  with 500/450 read write, or a leven 512 m.2 with almost 2k read write speeds + a 2tb HDD
so.... is HDD even worth it theese days, im mainly using it for gaming, and i want fast loading times, but i also end up hoarding a lot of games, meaning even after finishing a game i wont delete it. is there a HUGE loading time difference between m.2 nvme and ssd sata like the kingston? if so what should i go with. Also wanted to ask, first time seeing leven m.2  are they good? do they last? afraid of buying it since ive never heard of it. love if someone could help.

For gaming get the biggest regular HDD you can afford.

For ssd a 256gb is enough for windows and non gaming stuff.

Install your game in HDD, games don't need SSD speed.

Loading might be a bit faster, but ingame wont matter.

m.2 is great for space saving, but for gaming not that big of a difference.

If i were you i'll get a 256ssd + 3TB hdd.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

For gaming get the biggest regular HDD you can afford.

For ssd a 256gb is enough for windows and non gaming stuff.

Install your game in HDD, games don't need SSD speed.

Loading might be a bit faster, but ingame wont matter.

m.2 is great for space saving, but for gaming not that big of a difference.

If i were you i'll get a 256ssd + 3TB hdd.

thanks for the tip, the thing is i see a lot of videos on youtube about different loading times in games and it kind of bugs me, i know FPS in game wont change, so you think a 256 NVME ssd? or a regular 2.5 256gb ssd would be good?

Since you will be using the SSD for boot (windows and others) and the game is on the HDD, won't matter if you went either ways.

The game still be loading from the HDD.

But since it's a new pc i recommend just jump in the m.2 bus.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Since you will be using the SSD for boot (windows and others) and the game is on the HDD, won't matter if you went either ways.

The game still be loading from the HDD.

But since it's a new pc i recommend just jump in the m.2 bus.

do brands matter too much? theres this cheap brand leven that makes a cheap m.2 ssd with great speeds, samsung in comparison is twice the price, what would you reccomend? lower storage samsung or higher storage leven for around the same price?

Yes, usually i would go to one of the top tiers like samsung, crucial, intel, kingston, sandisk, WD etc.

Things to consider is the warranty, get at least 3 years.

Samsung is expensive because they offer 5+ years of warranty.

And their product is very popular and proven to have low problems.

Cheap brand usually don't have a proper after sales service.

If you wanna go cheap get a Kingston or Sandisk.

So i have asked before but im making a pc and i was looking at suggestions and people didnt like the ssd i wanted the kingston a400 960GB 

so now im looking between 2 nvme options: kingston a1000 and kingston kc2000 both are great and i was wondering would it make a difference that much to go with the more expensive kc version or is the only difference speed, i want it to last aswell. Please help

I use this site: setec.mk

At the price of a 1tb NVMe, I'd go for a Corsair 960gb, tbh. Can't see it on setec.mk, but certainly in the UK it's a little cheaper than the Kingstons and a little faster. 

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/960gb-corsair-mp510-m2-2280-pcie-30-x4-nvme-13-ssd3480mb-s-read3000mb-s-write-610k-570k-iops

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

A1000 is enough, it has DRAM and R/W is already higher than the best of SATA SSDs. KC2000 has double the speed and has DRAM, but that's not very useful for gaming. A400 has no DRAM and read writes are kinda bad even among SSDs, though it has double the capacity which is useful for fast mass storage, but not as the main drive.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Check my SSD resources here.

The A1000 is a bit obsolete in my opinion, the KC2000 is a great daily driver. That being said, if you can find the A2000 for cheaper I'd probably go with that instead. Keep in mind there are a metric ton of drives that share hardware with the A1000 (E8) and KC2000 (SM2262EN) - check my spreadsheet for a full list.

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

A1000 is enough, it has DRAM and R/W is already higher than the best of SATA SSDs. KC2000 has double the speed and has DRAM, but that's not very useful for gaming. A400 has no DRAM and read writes are kinda bad even among SSDs, though it has double the capacity which is useful for fast mass storage, but not as the main drive.

Thing is, im a gamer but i usually just delete games i finish or get bored of, both a1000 and kc2000 are 500gb versions im looking at, i dont plan to do any work that relies on read/write speeds, do you think the a1000 lasts as much as the kc2000? If so i might get that as its cheaper.

57 minutes ago, NewMaxx said:

Check my SSD resources here.

The A1000 is a bit obsolete in my opinion, the KC2000 is a great daily driver. That being said, if you can find the A2000 for cheaper I'd probably go with that instead. Keep in mind there are a metric ton of drives that share hardware with the A1000 (E8) and KC2000 (SM2262EN) - check my spreadsheet for a full list.

Thank you, the thing is im using the site i listed as i like to have the warranty so ill have to get whats offered there.

1 hour ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

Thank you, the thing is im using the site i listed as i like to have the warranty so ill have to get whats offered there.

Understood. So 5,999 vs. 3,999? That's a pretty steep price difference if so. The A1000 is probably the better deal in that case.

31 minutes ago, NewMaxx said:

Understood. So 5,999 vs. 3,999? That's a pretty steep price difference if so. The A1000 is probably the better deal in that case.

Yeah most likely will get that one then, was just worried about it’s durability, but i guess both of them are similar build quality and lifespan.

Just as an update either i didnt see it or it just got added but they added the a2000 version and its 4300denars, i think thats the best option at the moment

18 minutes ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

Just as an update either i didnt see it or it just got added but they added the a2000 version and its 4300denars, i think thats the best option at the moment

Yep I agree, easy choice.

Get the kc2000. It's significantly faster than the a2000.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

Just now, VEXICUS said:

Get the kc2000. It's significantly faster than the a2000.

Well yes but it’s more expressive and honestly I’m just a casual gamer, i dont play around with large filles and stuff, probably would make no difference for me.

12 minutes ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

Well yes but it’s more expressive and honestly I’m just a casual gamer, i dont play around with large filles and stuff, probably would make no difference for me.

Get any SSD above tier C.

Also, as you are located in North Macedonia, you can import parts from all over Europe with no import taxes, IIRC. However, specifically for Macedonia your government does have free trade agreements with virtually 90% of European countries. Referring to the EU's official European Commission website concerning EU trade with the Western Balkan countries, since signing the Stabilisation and Association Agreements (SAA, the fancy name in the EU for a free-trade agreement) with Macedonia, the SAA has established a free-trade area over a transitional period which has now ended. This means that Macedonia (should) be able to import things from the EU without either export tariffs (on the EU side) nor import tariffs (on the Macedonian side). So if you have online websites similar to Amazon or Newegg based in the EU, you should be able to buy it from there for a similar price to local Macedonian sites.

Look at something like this...

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/N7zkcf/sabrent-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-sb-rocket-1tb

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

16 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

Get any SSD above tier C.

Also, as you are located in North Macedonia, you can import parts from all over Europe with no import taxes, IIRC. However, specifically for Macedonia your government does have free trade agreements with virtually 90% of European countries. Referring to the EU's official European Commission website concerning EU trade with the Western Balkan countries, since signing the Stabilisation and Association Agreements (SAA, the fancy name in the EU for a free-trade agreement) with Macedonia, the SAA has established a free-trade area over a transitional period which has now ended. This means that Macedonia (should) be able to import things from the EU without either export tariffs (on the EU side) nor import tariffs (on the Macedonian side). So if you have online websites similar to Amazon or Newegg based in the EU, you should be able to buy it from there for a similar price to local Macedonian sites.

Look at something like this...

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/N7zkcf/sabrent-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-sb-rocket-1tb

Yes thanks, im aware about such offers about buying parts outside the country and importing them but for me i think having that warranty really makes a big difference, as for my use case as a casual gamer, i think the a2000 hits the spot, mind you in upgrading from a slow hdd so it will be a huge change either way, although the kc2000 is faster around the board, i dont think i will get any huge benefits from it in game and application loading times for that higher price.

• 1 month later...

-= Topics Merged =-

Multiple posts of the same topic are not allowed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER