old AND new GPU?

GhomerGhamer

ok, so ive done digging and i cant find a thread on what i want to do. im running adobe CS5 master, doing some stuff with premier pro. (no, i will not get newer adobe, this one was free from my wife's school) my system is an 8 core amd with 16gb ram and a 1080 8gb. supposedly, adobe premier SHOULD use my 1080 for h264 work but it isnt, despite downloading some software from adobe that says it should fix that. i know from documentation that gtx 200 series cards DO work plug and play with CS5, and i have a really nice GTX 275 as a shelf queen, runs fine. but i cant seem to find a way to run it AND my 1080 in the same system, and simply use the 275 as an adobe processor. i end up with driver issues because the last update that worked on a 275 was from 2016, driver 342.XX, and my 1080 is enjoying 441.XX. the older driver doesnt seem to recognize my 1080 either, so im kinda between a rock and a verge place. anyone have any suggestions?

i do aim to go ryzen before TOO long, and i know that it will speed up my renders a TON compared to my FX 8 core, but that could still be about a year in the making, and i have a lot of videos that need done. the only other hardware i have access to is an i7 2600, but i havent found reliable numbers on how that would run adobe compared to my FX. btw, my FX is running at 4.6 on 8 cores when im doing adobe, so it's cranked pretty good.

4 minutes ago, GhomerGhamer said:

adobe premier SHOULD use my 1080 for h264 work but it isnt,

adobe doesn't have have nvenc encode support at all. So its not doing h264 encoding. But it will help with some effects. BUt not that many, cause they have added a lot of gpu features since cs5

The only real way to have a modern gpu is to get a amd gpu for the main games, and the 275. You can only have one version of nvidia driver on the system for all nvidia cards.

Or do something like dual boot.

h264 and h264 bluray are encoding options when exporting media in CS5 Premier Pro. so is that just faking it? it even lists youtube as an encoding option under the regular h264 option

Just now, GhomerGhamer said:

h264 and h264 bluray are encoding options when exporting media in CS5 Premier Pro. so is that just faking it? it even lists youtube as an encoding option under the regular h264 option

thats realy h264, but it doesn't use any gpu power, its all cpu power when encoding.

the official adobe threads talk about using 200 series cards, and even some 500 series cards, as well as a slew of quadros, for video encoding in PP, unless im just REALLY misinterpreting them. i spent about 2 days researching them a while back

Just now, GhomerGhamer said:

the official adobe threads talk about using 200 series cards, and even some 500 series cards, as well as a slew of quadros, for video encoding in PP, unless im just REALLY misinterpreting them. i spent about 2 days researching them a while back

cuda in adobe cc is used for some effects, scaling video, decoding some codecs, and encoding some codecs. The actual encoding of h264 is all cpu(in cs5, cc 2018(i think) can use quicksync), but if you have effects, it can be done on gpu.

ok that makes more sense then.  so i guess ill just benefit most from making the bump to the 3950x when that time comes. (got hit by a truck, literally, waiting for my lawyer and their insurance to cut me a check) thanks for the clarification, because i was really not enjoying the 3+ hour render times on a 1080 video that was only half that time in length! (man AMD's IPC has come a LOOOOONG way since the 8350)

1 minute ago, GhomerGhamer said:

ok that makes more sense then.  so i guess ill just benefit most from making the bump to the 3950x when that time comes. (got hit by a truck, literally, waiting for my lawyer and their insurance to cut me a check) thanks for the clarification, because i was really not enjoying the 3+ hour render times on a 1080 video that was only half that time in length! (man AMD's IPC has come a LOOOOONG way since the 8350)

Yea, cpu will probably help more.

Also though, cc is faster is speed is an issue to you. New cpus have new features and instructions, that cs5 wasn't made to use. 

What settings is it taking 3 hours to render with? What video lenght. That seems long

lemme pop open a project really quick and see. ill add another post with the settings

heres the settings i used on that particular render. about an hour thirty in length, ended up being about 3hr 15min for the render of the 16gb file. im still sort of a novice at this, so i could be picking really stupid settings. basically i took a 3 hour video, killed the original audio, put a music soundtrack to it that was about an hour and a half, cut the video to match the length, and re-rendered it at the original 1080/25fps

screenshot adobe.png

1 minute ago, GhomerGhamer said:

heres the settings i used on that particular render. about an hour thirty in length, ended up being about 3hr 15min for the render of the 16gb file. im still sort of a novice at this, so i could be picking really stupid settings. basically i took a 3 hour video, killed the original audio, put a music soundtrack to it that was about an hour and a half, cut the video to match the length, and re-rendered it at the original 1080/25fps

So 2x realtime encoding rate for 1080p on a fx chip really isn't that bad. Something like a ryzen 7 should get this to under a hour(my guess, but probably in the ballpark)

Id probably use normal x264 unless your making a blueray. Is two pass on?

WHat effects do you have?

really no effects at all. i ripped a long aquarium video from youtube that my autistic daughter likes, its basically just a pre-recorded loop for 3 hours from start to finish in the original video clip. i just chopped it to match the length of the mp3 playlist i added, basically just a bunch of 128-mp3s that my daughter likes, ended up just being that 1:28 length overall. i dont think anything called "two pass" was on. i later re-rendered the clip that THOSE settings spit out, but i crunched it down to the youtube specs and 720, and the file size was tiny, and it took only around 20 minutes. i wanna say it was 4 gig that last time. i just wanted as high of quality for the first one as i could get, since the fish are pretty.

the next day i made a tribute video for my late dead car, by far my most complex work in premier. ill post a youtube link if that's allowed in the forum, im not totally sure it is, so i wont post it yet just in case.

9 minutes ago, GhomerGhamer said:

really no effects at all. i ripped a long aquarium video from youtube that my autistic daughter likes, its basically just a pre-recorded loop for 3 hours from start to finish in the original video clip. i just chopped it to match the length of the mp3 playlist i added, basically just a bunch of 128-mp3s that my daughter likes, ended up just being that 1:28 length overall. i dont think anything called "two pass" was on. i later re-rendered the clip that THOSE settings spit out, but i crunched it down to the youtube specs and 720, and the file size was tiny, and it took only around 20 minutes. i wanna say it was 4 gig that last time. i just wanted as high of quality for the first one as i could get, since the fish are pretty.

If this is something that you don't do that often, id just let if run overnight.

One thing to make this faster is to use a faster to encode codec like mpeg2 if you device supports it and you have the extra space as its a less efficient codec.

i try to use my OS disc as a scrub disc, but its only a 240gig samsung ssd. my 3tb wd red is massive but much slower. i try to keep between 60 and 80 gig open for any larger projects just in case. the new build will be using a 2tb 860 evo scrub disc and the os will be on some sort of 4.0 m.2 drive.

im downloading the 2020 adobe benchmark from Puget to see how rough this is haha. i think my 1080 will help a bit in the newer editions. i get to play with some of linus's 4k and 8k RED footage in the benchmark

i took your advice on the mpeg2 this morning on an experimental video. i did mpeg2 bluray for standard 1080 settings, single pass, 30fps,etc. 37 minute video done in about 25 minutes. i did NOT select "maximum render quality" on this one. i did prior, and it was over 3 hours. unselecting it dropped it down to below 30 mins. so thanks for the tip on that! ill let youtube do the heavy lifting when i upload videos in the future until i get my zen box built.