Interesting crossroads

So basically, Im wanting to upgrade my cpu. My specs are :

i5 4690

Gigabyte windforce R9 390 8gb

10gbs of DDR3 

msi z97 gaming 3 mobo

PSU: HUNTKEY lw -6550HG 550W PSU

I will be using my PC for editing photos and eventually video in the future however it will most likely not even be 4k then, I also game. I only play games that are old and my PC runs them easily at 60 or more fps since I don't play new games. I do want GTA 6 next year though. 

my upgrade options are an  R5 upgrade kit which I can provide the link for if you need, it's an R5 3600.

However there's an r7 2700x upgrade kit for the same price almost and Initially I was gonna get the 2700x but in Benchmarks the 2700x loses in gaming perf compared to the R5 3600 which is fine, I expected that. And in production benchmarks cause I will be using Photoshop in the near future, it wins as expected. My question is though, which ones better to get cause the R5 cores are better than the r7's and I don't even think I'll need 8 cores for the work load I'll be doing. Like for video I'm only going to be processing 2k footage at best and that's not even with my current camera equipment. 

the r7 2700x option would also mean I need a new PSU. 

PSU LIMITATION: SO , my PSU can't run my gpu and CPU at full speed (I power limit my gpu by -40%). Sounds like a bad issue sure, but It doesn't effect me almost at all cause I still run games well over 60 fps. 

if I go with the R5 I won't need a PSU upgrade and I could let my gpu run at full speed as I suspect my PSU could almost run my current spec of components but just came short. If I go with the R5 I technically lose 30w of cpu TDP , so I figure that extra headroom will then let me remove the power limit on my gpu. I'm trying to spend as little as possible cause I need camera equipment too. PSU's are expensive in my country and I still need to get another 4gb Ram stick and possibly an SSD. 

i feel like the R5 3600 will last longer than the r7 2700x due to the better Zen 2 architecture, even with 2 less cores. What are your thoughts ?

get a new psu, a good 550w can easily power that system, and if a psu can't meet its spec, you shouldn't user it. It also doesn't have apfc, so anouther big reason not to use it.

id personally go 3600 here, zen2 was a big improvment for many tasks.

As old as the cpu psu is.... just replace it.

3600X vs 2700x. That's pretty tough there. 

Less money for the 2700x has a tad less IPC, has the core count.

3600X has the IPC and better IMC, but lacks the core count. 

5-10 fps difference between the two? 20 fps? At what point do you need more or less, neither chip would really bottle neck any GPU.....

Now if this product is to help you make a product, and you buy the cpu that's cheaper and does more work in total. There are some areas where a lot of threads is good to have. cuts production times down.

2 cats on a fence. Put on blind fold, throw shoes. Which ever cat is still standing, take him home. 

Or flip a coin? lol

38 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

get a new psu, a good 550w can easily power that system, and if a psu can't meet its spec, you shouldn't user it. It also doesn't have apfc, so anouther big reason not to use it.

id personally go 3600 here, zen2 was a big improvment for many tasks.

For sure. I do agree. I think I can see after I upgrade the CPU MOBO and Ram, I could do that after if my PC doesn't run well on my current PSU.

55 minutes ago, Diploma swinger said:

my upgrade options are an  R5 upgrade kit which I can provide the link for if you need, it's an R5 3600.

However there's an r7 2700x upgrade kit for the same price

The 2700x should be cheaper, What is different about the kit other than cpu?

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

1 hour ago, Diploma swinger said:

I do want GTA 6 next year though

Did I miss something?? Gta 6 next year???

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

My 2 cents worth says grab the 3600/3600X and whatever else, call it a day.

While the 2700x isn't a bad choice and has two more cores/four more threads it's not quite enough to overcome the 3600/3600x.

I happen to own both, a 2700x and a 3600x, the 3600x to me is the better chip for most any situation except where sheer core count alone would matter.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

The psu is probably the most important component in any system - always make sure this is good! What's the point in decent video cards and faster processors if they rely on flakey old under powered psu units? It is actually infuriating the amount of posts I see on various forums where people just dont care about the psu! Hello it's the heart of your system it literally pumps the blood or electricity in this case to all the major organs again components in this case!