Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PunkmeisterDuy

Unknown Device (trying to port forward proxmox)

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am trying to port forward my proxmox server (192.168.1.2) and its showing as unknown. The other IPs are my VMs on the proxmox server. For some reason only one vm has a name. I cannot port forward devices with an unknown device so my question is "How do you name a device". I am using an arris gateway btw. Thank you very much for the help. 

Background:

On proxmox I created 3 VMs and I configed static local ip for each of them and the proxmox server. I also changed nameservers to be cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

192.168.1.2 is Proxmox (hostname is serverduy.com; I did not buy this domain)

192.168.1.3 is VM named 3d4hmc (hostname is 3d4hmc.com; paid for domain)

192.168.1.4 is VM named nxuron (hostname is nxuron.ml; free claimed domain)

192.168.1.5 is a VM named punkmeister (hostname is punkmeister.net; paid for domain)

image.png.daf4635ac4aca0f230b4c8715139b67f.png

I realized nxuron and 3d4hmc were on the same ip (192.168.1.3), so I changed nxuron to 192.168.1.4 and nxuron's name does not appear anymore. 

image.png.dcd1bd151cc6ae322e782ca5e360180b.png

29 minutes ago, PunkmeisterDuy said:

I cannot port forward devices with an unknown device

Why not? I have an att router and port forward unknown devices all the times, with no issue.

Also what are you portfordwarding? You probably don't want to expose your hypervisor. Make a vpn, and port forward thath.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not? I have an att router and port forward unknown devices all the times, with no issue.

Also what are you portfordwarding? You probably don't want to expose your hypervisor. Make a vpn, and port forward thath.

When ever I try to port forward an unknown device it gives me "A required setting is empty".

image.thumb.png.c4cb1ea77d8851fc572174dbed08f130.png

Why do you want to port forward your Proxmox server? Are you looking to SSH in or do you want access to the WebUI?

As for unknown devices that's a constant issue I've dealt with but it has never stopped me from forwarding ports to a private IP. Have you port forwarded before? Are you sure you're on the correct menu?

Guides & Tutorials:

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

A Beginners Guide to Servers

In the Queue:

[Taking Suggestions]

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Why do you want to port forward your Proxmox server? Are you looking to SSH in or do you want access to the WebUI?

As for unknown devices that's a constant issue I've dealt with but it has never stopped me from forwarding ports to a private IP. Have you port forwarded before? Are you sure you're on the correct menu?

I am looking to access the WebUI so I can monitor all the servers and easily ssh into each of them without having to use putty for each one of them. And yes I have port forwarded before; I deleted all the custom applications since it was too messy.

Also it is not the unknown device issue since I can port forward other unknown VMs. I think it may be proxmox's firewall, but I am checking that right now.

also hey its you again.

As Electronics Wizardy stated you really don't want to Port Forward the WebUI of the server. It's a non-encrypted service and only a password stops anyone else or a bot from logging into the server. Instead of forwarding port 8006 what I would do is setup an independent machine or setup a dedicated VM with TeamViewer or AnyDesk then bridge it to your home network. This will enable you to control the server over a secure connection and it doesn't require opening any ports either.

I don't think it's a firewall issue I think it's a forwarding issue.

And yeah it's me again. :D I'm on here daily.

Guides & Tutorials:

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

A Beginners Guide to Servers

In the Queue:

[Taking Suggestions]

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.