Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Charlie Roberts

Help needed!

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm sorry if I've put this in the wrong forum but I've got a 2400g CPU and a Vega 64 a weird combo I know. So I checked if my CPU was bottlenecking my PC by looking at Usage percentage and it said my CPU was at 70% and my gpu was at 98%. If so why did everyone say this will be a really bad bottle neck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Charlie Roberts said:

If so why did everyone say this will be a really bad bottle neck.

A lot of people will tell you if you have a bottleneck without asking what software you're using or your performance target, etc. There are plenty of applications or games where there's no problem with a 2400G and Vega 64.

 

What games are you playing, what refresh rates and resolution?


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites

how does RDR2 play?  the percentages don't look bottleneckish to me, but what do I know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That can be perfectly normal. 

Always depending on the game or workload you have. 

There will be games that cause usages like you put there and there will be games that cause gpu usages in the 50% range. 

But still that doesn't mean you gain nothing from this gpu. Even when cpu bottlenecked and not being able to get more than 60fps for example a better gpu can still do better graphics at those 60 fps. Just not more fps because you're cpu can't give your gpu more fps to process. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
30 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

how does RDR2 play?  the percentages don't look bottleneckish to me, but what do I know.

It's quite gpu heavy on max settings 1080p and gives about 50-60 fps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, NoGanksEric said:

That can be perfectly normal. 

Always depending on the game or workload you have. 

There will be games that cause usages like you put there and there will be games that cause gpu usages in the 50% range. 

But still that doesn't mean you gain nothing from this gpu. Even when cpu bottlenecked and not being able to get more than 60fps for example a better gpu can still do better graphics at those 60 fps. Just not more fps because you're cpu can't give your gpu more fps to process. 

Thanks that's quite useful I didn't realize that's how it worked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Charlie Roberts said:

It's quite gpu heavy on max settings 1080p and gives about 50-60 fps.

 

RDR2, like you said, is a GPU heavy game.

Seeing ~70% on a 4-core / 8-thread is more or less correct.

 

With Vega 56 getting average 51/52 FPS on maximum settings, it looks like you are running fine.


Intel X99 Rig -- CPU + PSU being RMA'ed
Intel Z390 Rig (*NEW* Primary)

  • i7-6800K @ 4.0 GHz --- i7-8086K
  • ASUS X99 Deluxe --- Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire / ASUS ROG Platinum Matrix R9-280X
  • 32 GB, 16 GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z Red/Black 3000 MHz + 16 GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000 MHz
  • CM Hyper 212 EVO (temporary) .... EKwb Predator kit .... in-progress
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

  • Intel i5-4690K @ 4.6 GHz  4.8 GHz (still tweaking it)
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version] + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned...for now)

  •  FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932
  • Logitech G9x + Corsair K70 (red LED, anodized black, cherry MX Brown)  *NONE*

 

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

 

RDR2, like you said, is a GPU heavy game.

Seeing ~70% on a 4-core / 8-thread is more or less correct.

 

With Vega 56 getting average 51/52 FPS on maximum settings, it looks like you are running fine.

With a 2400g/rx 5700 I was at 100% gpu and 80% cpu usage playing rdr2. The 1600 af Im using now is around 65% cpu usage with 2 more cores. Sounds about normal to me

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×