I just bought this...how screwed am I?

aisle9

2010 15" MacBook Pro for $35 from Newegg, apparently with nothing wrong with it? What's hidden in these screenshots that I blatantly missed when I was like, "ME WANT"?

746871259_AppleMacBookProMC372LLA154LEDNotebook-IntelCorei5Dual-core2Core253GHz-Aluminum-Neweggcom.thumb.png.e37499358a8a59ae7b921fa47fbd3eef.png

540356209_AppleMacBookProMC372LLA154LEDNotebook-IntelCorei5Dual-core2Core253GHz-Aluminum-Neweggcom2.thumb.png.e79556c051afce29fef11264de0f96f0.png

2106714821_AppleMacBookProMC372LLA154LEDNotebook-IntelCorei5Dual-core2Core253GHz-Aluminum-Neweggcom3.thumb.png.2caba1953370c86aa22ed0d5e92e1a6e.png

If there's no catch and you also feel the, "ME WANT", search for Macbook on Newegg. It's the $32 2010. I'm half expecting a P-P-P-Powerbook to show up or get a cancellation email, but at $35, I had to try my luck.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Either a typo and it gets canceled, they want to really get rid of the last stock, or China has your info now :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Keep in mind you're not buying from Newegg, but from 'BetechParts' who is selling through Newegg. Looks like they generally have positive feedback, but this is highly like a pricing error (forgot to add a 0 at the end or whatever)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Either a typo and it gets canceled, they want to really get rid of the last stock, or China has your info now :D

That's why I like PayPal. There's an added degree of separation between China and my bank account.

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

Keep in mind you're not buying from Newegg, but from 'BetechParts' who is selling through Newegg. Looks like they generally have positive feedback, but this is highly like a pricing error (forgot to add a 0 at the end or whatever)

That's kind of what I'm thinking, but hey, there are worse uses of $35 than seeing if I can land a MacBook with it.

Got my $5 steam controller last month, anything's possible

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

A macbook packaging probably

19 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Got my $5 steam controller last month, anything's possible

Now that's something they really want to get rid of

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Looking at the images in the image gallery -- I'm guessing they are selling the battery.  There are two pictures of batteries after the laptop pictures.  I don't think they'd show pictures of a battery with screwdriver if it was actually a laptop.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

27 minutes ago, nick name said:

Looking at the images in the image gallery -- I'm guessing they are selling the battery.  There are two pictures of batteries after the laptop pictures.  I don't think they'd show pictures of a battery with screwdriver if it was actually a laptop.  

Nah, if they were selling a battery, it'd have to say battery in the title or description. This is clearly marketed as a laptop, and those two pictures are buried off the main page entirely.

41 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Nah, if they were selling a battery, it'd have to say battery in the title or description. This is clearly marketed as a laptop, and those two pictures are buried off the main page entirely.

Well I hate to say it, but you're hopeful it isn't mislabeled and there isn't any reason there would be battery pictures in the image gallery if it was a laptop.  Also, that seller sells laptop batteries.  

PS

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 hour ago, nick name said:

Well I hate to say it, but you're hopeful it isn't mislabeled and there isn't any reason there would be battery pictures in the image gallery if it was a laptop.  Also, that seller sells laptop batteries.  

PS

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.  

If it is mislabeled, boom, refund with shipping paid by the seller as per their own return policy. Low risk, high reward, that's my style.

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If it is mislabeled, boom, refund with shipping paid by the seller as per their own return policy. Low risk, high reward, that's my style.

Yeah, if anything it's just an annoyance and some disappointment.  I'd be more worried about the disappointment.  I hate disappointment after getting excited about something.  

24 minutes ago, nick name said:

Yeah, if anything it's just an annoyance and some disappointment.  I'd be more worried about the disappointment.  I hate disappointment after getting excited about something.  

That's why I'm not excited. I know I'm going to get a cancellation letter because they mislabeled it, put it in the wrong category, pricing error, etc. If I actually get a 2010 MacBook Pro, it doesn't look like it's been through a wood chipper and it actually works, I'll be pretty damn stoked.

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That's why I'm not excited. I know I'm going to get a cancellation letter because they mislabeled it, put it in the wrong category, pricing error, etc. If I actually get a 2010 MacBook Pro, it doesn't look like it's been through a wood chipper and it actually works, I'll be pretty damn stoked.

My guess is you're going to get a battery.  

10 hours ago, nick name said:

My guess is I'm going to get a cancellation email. They sold out overnight. If I do end up with a battery, it's the most misleading ad this side of Wish. Labeled as a laptop, categorized as a laptop, sold as a laptop, they probably borked it up and will end up canceling today or sending out refunds when batteries arrive.

11 hours ago, nick name said:

After some further review, I'm definitely going with pricing error. They had a couple of HP ProBooks listed for $17.99 with free shipping yesterday along with the Apple. Either they really are selling the whole laptop or someone's going to get their ass chewed off today for messing up pricing on three in-demand items.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

My guess is I'm going to get a cancellation email. They sold out overnight. If I do end up with a battery, it's the most misleading ad this side of Wish. Labeled as a laptop, categorized as a laptop, sold as a laptop, they probably borked it up and will end up canceling today or sending out refunds when batteries arrive.

My guess is that Newegg has a product page saved for sellers to use and this seller chose to use it and then simply add some battery photos into the image gallery without changing ANYTHING else.  I've talked to Newegg about it and they messaged the seller.  

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

My guess is that Newegg has a product page saved for sellers to use and this seller chose to use it and then simply add some battery photos into the image gallery without changing ANYTHING else.  I've talked to Newegg about it and they messaged the seller.  

Why did you do that? You might have just murdered any chance a boatload of people had at a $35 MacBook!

Just now, aisle9 said:

Why did you do that? You might have just murdered any chance a boatload of people had at a $35 MacBook!

I did it after I found the battery images in the image gallery.  Which I found after I placed an order. 

And I just got e-mails for Newegg and the seller saying the order was cancelled.  The seller stated it was "due to some glitch in our listing".  AKA they were lazy putting the listing up and used a template for the laptop instead of creating a battery listing.  

Just now, nick name said:

I did it after I found the battery images in the image gallery.  Which I found after I placed an order. 

And I just got e-mails for Newegg and the seller saying the order was cancelled.  The seller stated it was "due to some glitch in our listing".  AKA they were lazy putting the listing up and used a template for the laptop instead of creating a battery listing.  

You placed an order, fair enough.

As to the rest, thank you for checking...but I still hate you a little. But it's an appreciative, loving hate.

30 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

You placed an order, fair enough.

As to the rest, thank you for checking...but I still hate you a little. But it's an appreciative, loving hate.

Man, of course I placed an order.

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

Man, of course I placed an order.

I sent a question directly to the seller asking if I was getting a 2010 MacBook Pro in like-new condition, as per the ad. I'd rather they either send me that (they won't) or cancel it because they can't get one over on me. Wouldn't be too shocked if their plan was to make people think they're buying a laptop, send them a battery, then try to refuse the return because a battery was buried at the end of the pictures.