What’s the BEST TV Under $400?

nicklmg

For Samsung 7100 connectivity: There is screen mirroring like it says on box, but there is straight up no UI for it.

I owned one, and using the Connect option from a Windows 10 device it just...works on it's own (tested from an old surface updated to win10). Attempted doing the same from Android (S7 Edge) and the phone would see and connect to the TV, but nothing would happen. Since there's no UI for the function, idk.

You've gotta agree right now!

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Anyone had any luck finding any of these models in the UK. TCL seems to use a completely different model naming system over here. The 'LG 49UM900PUA' doesn't seem to exist anywhere, let alone the UK. I can find the Samsung.

I weirdly expected the video to be sponsored by whatever brand makes cranberry almost crunch...

Also, what did they do with the durian?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

In my opinion, comparing the "software" set of the Sceptre to the other TVs seems ingenuous to the Sceptre itself.

You cannot compare a simple OSD to a full Smart TV OS.

The fact that it completely lacked the features was the main selling point of the TV.  I don't want to deal with software when I have an external Roku Ultra that I'll be using as my primary streaming device.  Dumb TVs are hard to come by, and I couldn't find any others below the $1000 price point (that were over 40"), so the Sceptre was really my only choice.

A huge plus about the Sceptre, is that my Roku Ultra can control it with it's remote (Audio, On/Off, Source, etc) with that HDMI Device control, and that my Roku Remote has an Infrared emitter. So i rarely touch my TV remote as well. I haven't seen that with other Smart TVs with a separate streaming Device.

I have a 55" TCL Roku TV in my living room, and it's constantly plagued me with audio level issues, and no, it's not related to the soundbar I have below it. Sometimes I'll be streaming Hulu or Amazon Prime and have the volume set at 100, but I can barely hear anything. TCL has acknowledge this as a bug when I've contacted them, and said when they fix it they'll provide a software update, and it's been over a year since that has been said.

Samsung? Well I hate their OS to be fully frank. The fact that they have in-OS advertisements drives me up the wall. No TV should have baked in advertisements like that. (/me points to all of the $2500 nice samsung TVs with Ads) While the Roku has some ads, they're on the side of the home menu, and I don't have to deal with scrolling past it to get to the content I want.

I would love to see a review of Dumb TVs.  Because sometimes, you don't want to deal with smart TV bulls***.

Edited by Rootbear75

Just bought a RU7100 last month on a discount and replace my LG UK6340. The RU7100 has excellent low latency. I'd love to buy the UM6900 for the lowest 4k@60hz latency (based on Rting) but in Vietnam I could not find one. Same with some TCL models, they don't import those low latency ones here in VN.

AMD Ryzen 1700 3.75ghz@1.3v

G.Skill TridentZ 2x16GB 2800mhz@1.375v

Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

ASUS X370 PRIME PRO

Samsung 960 EVO NVME 250GB

Andyson H6 800W 80Plus Gold

6 hours ago, Computernaut said:

I weirdly expected the video to be sponsored by whatever brand makes cranberry almost crunch...

Also, what did they do with the durian?

he most likely drop it out side...

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

9 hours ago, Harvs said:

Anyone had any luck finding any of these models in the UK. TCL seems to use a completely different model naming system over here. The 'LG 49UM900PUA' doesn't seem to exist anywhere, let alone the UK. I can find the Samsung.

This must be typo it is suppose to be 6900

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

where did you guys buy a whole durian in canada? o_o

I swear I saw some at No Frills in Edmonton! Out of all places... 

(But that was 1 year ago and now I can't confirm anymore.)

16 hours ago, Harvs said:

Seeing the same problem. If anyone could find a similar model it would be highly appreciated as I am desperate for a new Smart HDR Tv

19 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Buy TCL 50S425 on Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/47f2g2
Buy LG 49UM900PUA on Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/XRt2Eh
Buy Samsung UN50RU7100FXZA on Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/gSkyPJU
Sceptre U550CV-U on Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/nkKiTv

Some feedback on the vid.

I think it would have been a better idea to choose specific TV's that have a thorough tested review available for them online.

While certain sizes of these TV have been reviewed, there are not reviews of the specific sizes u got for all of them. For example rtings has the LG, Samsung, and TCL TV's reviewed but at 49",55",and 43" respectively.

I only suggest this because ur video, while it does has some factual results here and there, is predominantly a subjective opinion, which while interesting to watch (and it was :)  ), doesnt really help much someone who is looking to spend money on a display.

From a objective standpoint, the LG TV which rtings does indeed have reviewed at that size, is bad. The IPS panel results in poor contrast, poor uniformity, the specific subpixel layout they use results in poor color coverage of the HDR color space, and the flickering backlight causes motion duplication.

Your color tests were also ... well there were not wrong, but u were measuring the sRGB color space, which is fine for PC use.. but ur looking at a TV, and commenting on HDR movies at the same time as color accuracy and color space, so you should be measuring the wider DCI-P3 space, which if u did u would/should have found out that the UM6900 has rather poor coverage of that HDR color space.

In the end i think the video could have been done better if u had kept the subjective fun "which do u think is worth the most and which do u prefer?" then unveil the results of either ur own objective testing in full with clear charts and graphs and time for the viewer to read. or those of other reviewers.

So something like Linus saying "hey i like the TCL i would spend, or recommend people spend, money on this one over the others because X Y Z"

then you unveil the results.. "well actually the Samsung is objectively better because X Y Z"

I still enjoyed it, but i think u still have room to improve your display videos.  :)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 hours ago, Rootbear75 said:

I would love to see a review of Dumb TVs.  Because sometimes, you don't want to deal with smart TV bulls***.

Agree 100%. Every smart TV I have owned and used at a relatives or friends place is horrible to use. Buggy, slow, crashes, unresponsive and a miserable user experience. I have been clinging onto this Best Buy 55 inch Insignia dumb TV that I purchased for under $250 for a couple years now and I love it. My ps4 is hooked up to it so no need for it to have any smart capabilities. 

Some smart TV's even lack basic features, like those Vizio smart TV's that weren't on the latest version of Chromecast so you couldn't use it for Disney+. My girlfriend has one of those Vizio smart TV's, and it's legit one of the worst TV's I have ever used. Easily the most frustrating TV imaginable. 

I have the TLC. Bought it because it had a built in Roku (already using a roku devise in another room), and I also used the VESA mount. Which I had no issues with, the included screws with the mount worked fine.

I can´t find the TCL model in Europe does any one know if it as different name in Europe for that particular model? thanks?

• 1 year later...

Could you share the settings or tweaks you use for LG TVs?

Also, I ordered a 55nano85una from NewEgg, and got a 55nano85unf. Should I return it? What are the differences between the two models?

Thanks!