Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoodBytes

Welcome to *new* Edge web browser. Chromium based Edge being rolled out to all.

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

He means this:

Image1.png.b83c74cc3b30aa60ddda53005ea18718.png

 

The right-click menu on the app on the task bar where you have app related options.

but it does support jumplist then??? why is he saying it does not support jumplist?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maartendc said:

I've always used Firefox and never been tempted to go over to Chrome.

I've used Firefox for years but switched to Chrome a few years ago when FF started performing like the hot garbage a single threaded 32bit browser came to be with modern websites and crashing multiple times per day when used heavily.


F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

 

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

 

GPD Win 2

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maartendc said:

I never really understood why Chrome got so popular in the first place. Even with the average person that doesnt even know multiple webbrowsers exist.

 

I've always used Firefox and never been tempted to go over to Chrome.

1) Almost all Android browsers were based on Chrome, and later Chrome became the default on a lot of Android phones.

2) Google did a lot of marketing. They had banner ads, they had video ads, they had a lot of the tech press talking about it.

3) Chrome was in fact much better than the other browsers out at the time. Better in terms of security, better in terms of speed, and better in terms of standard support.

4) Chrome was bundled with a lot of other software. So if you installed for example CCleaner you also got Chrome installed, unless you went into "advanced" settings and disabled it before install.

 

 

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

He means this:

<picture>

The right-click menu on the app on the task bar where you have app related options.

Does it work in Edge Dev? It doesn't work in stable for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

1) Almost all Android browsers were based on Chrome, and later Chrome became the default on a lot of Android phones.

2) Google did a lot of marketing. They had banner ads, they had video ads, they had a lot of the tech press talking about it.

3) Chrome was in fact much better than the other browsers out at the time. Better in terms of security, better in terms of speed, and better in terms of standard support.

4) Chrome was bundled with a lot of other software. So if you installed for example CCleaner you also got Chrome installed, unless you went into "advanced" settings and disabled it before install.

 

 

Does it work in Edge Dev? It doesn't work in stable for me.

It should have been better.  Fantastic amounts of money was spent developing it.  How could it not have good features?  It was worse in a couple of things, one of which was important.  It was incredibly rich in spyware.  That’s how google makes it’s money.

 

The thing I’m really liking about “chromedge” is while it is connected to Microsoft at least it’s not connected to google.  So as long as I don’t use any google apps I can keep it that way.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 9:22 PM, DeScruff said:

... Is it bad that all I can think about is how this will affect Merry's Web browser webcomic?
Merry.png.e42c1975783963841a730275d3b7f76a.png

Also: Does anyone even say "Surf the web" anymore? To me thats such a... late 90s thing.

The same way she evolved to edge, she will evolve to this edge


Main PC:  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM: Amd R9 Gamer 32gb 2400mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF X Case | Storage: Amd R7 480gb, 2x Crucial M500 240gb, Toshiba 5TB | PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1200 | CPU: Amd FX-9590 | GPU: Asus Amd Fury X | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Razer Leviathan | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Dell u3415w | Cooling: Apogee XL, Heatkiller Fury X w/ Back Plate, 720mm Rad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Does it work in Edge Dev? It doesn't work in stable for me.

Seem so for me. If you don't have it, then it is clearly coming very soon if the Dev channel has it.

I don't know the exact speed of release, as the official was just released, but probably in a month or month and half it should come out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On one side, I am very happy that the default browser now is running on the barebones Chromium platform that everybody is addicted to, and more notably, has any Google-specific features and mechanisms removed.

 

On the other hand, it is driving me absolutely insane how Google is continuing to drive a web monopoly (not just web browsers) with little to no regard to their competitors. Minus Email and video, I have completely de-googled myself, with how paranoid I am becoming of Google's influence on the web and the nature of its advertising power overall.


Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

with little to no regard to their competitors

What compeditors? Bing? Microsots can barely keep its OS stable and working and you expect them to compete with Google. Yahoo? They havent been relivant in god knows how long. The only compeditor Google has that has the power to even compete is Apple and thats only in phones and tablets and computers, if you count Googles Chromebook line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

On one side, I am very happy that the default browser now is running on the barebones Chromium platform that everybody is addicted to, and more notably, has any Google-specific features and mechanisms removed.

 

On the other hand, it is driving me absolutely insane how Google is continuing to drive a web monopoly (not just web browsers) with little to no regard to their competitors. Minus Email and video, I have completely de-googled myself, with how paranoid I am becoming of Google's influence on the web and the nature of its advertising power overall.

I don’t even care about the web stuff.  I’m worried about politics.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t even care about the web stuff.  I’m worried about politics.

IDGAF about Google's corporate positions in politics, as the impact and influence of that alone is much smaller than what the keyboard experts (mostly edgy Conmenservatives) scream at the top of their lungs. What scares me though, and should scare anybody who cares about this stuff, is how much influence their advertising partners can have on the market, and the impossibility of properly vetting out those with... very questionable claims and ulterior motives.


Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

IDGAF about Google's corporate positions in politics, as the impact and influence of that alone is much smaller than what the keyboard experts (mostly edgy Conmenservatives) scream at the top of their lungs. What scares me though, and should scare anybody who cares about this stuff, is how much influence their advertising partners can have on the market, and the impossibility of properly vetting out those with... very questionable claims and ulterior motives.

IDGAF either, as long as they don’t use their power to affect elections.  I’m worried that it could become possible though.  I compare it to the Ninja of feudal Japan.  For one day GOOGLE could rule america.  The next day the executives would be hunted down and killed, (literally) but for one day...


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

don’t use their power to affect elections.

Id be more concerend with Russia doing that again and not realy Google. Plus the fact is all corporations influence the elections. That why Citizens United is a crock of shit and the members of the supream court who voted for it should be fired. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Id be more concerend with Russia doing that again and not realy Google. Plus the fact is all corporations influence the elections. That why Citizens United is a crock of shit and the members of the supream court who voted for it should be fired. 

Russia is more likely but they don’t have the raw power google is capable of fielding.  Google terrifies me.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Where can i download the offline installer for Edge? ?


| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Russia is more likely but they don’t have the raw power google is capable of fielding.  Google terrifies me.

SMH. You do relized there are other companies out there. AND ALL OF THEM pay off congress. Id fear the Military Industrial Complex. Because of them bastards we are always at war. And I fear if things continue on the way they have been it might turn in to something much worse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caldrin said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

I know it says for business but its the same thing :)

Thanks! Now i can put Edge in all PCs i'm deploying.  ?


| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 7:12 AM, linkboy said:

...ust hoping the announced Linux version releases soon so I can install it on my Linux partition.

 

I don't give the north end of a south bound furry little rodent if the new Edge comes out with a Linux version or not. There is no way I'm ever having anything from MS on any of my computers anymore! Period!

23 hours ago, LAwLz said:

1) Almost all Android browsers were based on Chrome, and later Chrome became the default on a lot of Android phones.

2) Google did a lot of marketing. They had banner ads, they had video ads, they had a lot of the tech press talking about it.

3) Chrome was in fact much better than the other browsers out at the time. Better in terms of security, better in terms of speed, and better in terms of standard support.

4) Chrome was bundled with a lot of other software. So if you installed for example CCleaner you also got Chrome installed, unless you went into "advanced" settings and disabled it before install...

 

I disagree somewhat with #3 but, otherwise you pretty much got it, especially with #4. I would say #4 is probably the biggest reason Chrome is so prevalent now.

 

The best browser I ever used was IE11, mostly because it just worked, was secure (don't laugh, this isn't IE6 which was horrible), and was the only browser that gave me total cookie control. However, MS has gone totally south without even the benefit of a hand basket and I'm so through with them. I'm using the Brave Browser now, which is nowhere as good as IE11 was, but still beats the big fat hairy heck out of what's available now when it comes to security.


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I don't give the north end of a south bound furry little rodent if the new Edge comes out with a Linux version or not. There is no way I'm ever having anything from MS on any of my computers anymore! Period!

I disagree somewhat with #3 but, otherwise you pretty much got it, especially with #4. I would say #4 is probably the biggest reason Chrome is so prevalent now.

 

The best browser I ever used was IE11, mostly because it just worked, was secure (don't laugh, this isn't IE6 which was horrible), and was the only browser that gave me total cookie control. However, MS has gone totally south without even the benefit of a hand basket and I'm so through with them. I'm using the Brave Browser now, which is nowhere as good as IE11 was, but still beats the big fat hairy heck out of what's available now when it comes to security.

Chrome did have a serious shovelware issue.  One of the reasons I stayed away from it.  Shovelware is never good.  It’s not always (though frequently) actually bad, but never good.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of Google services that were cut from Edge, and these cut services help contribute to better performance. All the services that were cut had something to do with data collection, so if you like privacy that is great.


Specs of The Battlestation:             CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X             Motherboard: AORUS AX-370 Gaming 5             RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz

 

                         Case: NZXT H710                           Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 SC Hybrid             Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W Gold+  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Built 7 custom machines. Resident Tech Support Agent. Proficient in C#, JavaScript, and Sindarin Elvish. Loyal Member of House Ravenclaw. Ask me a question about hardware, and I can probably answer it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDragonHawk said:

There are a lot of Google services that were cut from Edge, and these cut services help contribute to better performance. All the services that were cut had something to do with data collection, so if you like privacy that is great.

A lot of you are conflating Chromium with Google Chrome. Chromium is just a browser kernal or a separate browser. It is not the same thing as Google Chrome, which is a browser that uses the Chromium kernal along with "features" added by Google. No Google services were cut from the new Edge because they were never there in the first place.


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Chrome did have a serious shovelware issue.  One of the reasons I stayed away from it.  Shovelware is never good.  It’s not always (though frequently) actually bad, but never good.

Shovelware is such a polite term; I prefer crapware. Ther eis program designed to remove crapware from new PCs that's actually called PC Decrapifier.


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I don't give the north end of a south bound furry little rodent if the new Edge comes out with a Linux version or not. There is no way I'm ever having anything from MS on any of my computers anymore! Period!

I disagree somewhat with #3 but, otherwise you pretty much got it, especially with #4. I would say #4 is probably the biggest reason Chrome is so prevalent now.

 

The best browser I ever used was IE11, mostly because it just worked, was secure (don't laugh, this isn't IE6 which was horrible), and was the only browser that gave me total cookie control. However, MS has gone totally south without even the benefit of a hand basket and I'm so through with them. I'm using the Brave Browser now, which is nowhere as good as IE11 was, but still beats the big fat hairy heck out of what's available now when it comes to security.

Oh God I have never seen a post I so strongly disagree with. 

IE11 was shit. Complete and utter garbage. I am honestly surprised to see even a single person that liked it. 

What kind of cookie control are toy missing in Chrome or Firefox? 

 

 

1 hour ago, TheDragonHawk said:

There are a lot of Google services that were cut from Edge, and these cut services help contribute to better performance. All the services that were cut had something to do with data collection, so if you like privacy that is great.

1) Cutting features does not necessary increase performance. Personally I haven't seen any performance increase. 

2) Not all services that were were related to privacy. 

3) a lot of the services that were cut has just been replaced with equally privacy intrusive services, but the data goes to Microsoft instead of Google. 

4) This new edge browser is not good if you want privacy. 

 

 

4 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

A lot of you are conflating Chromium with Google Chrome. Chromium is just a browser kernal or a separate browser. It is not the same thing as Google Chrome, which is a browser that uses the Chromium kernal along with "features" added by Google. No Google services were cut from the new Edge because they were never there in the first place.

1) There is no such thing as "Chromium kernel". It's just called Chromium.

2) some of the Google services that were cut are in Chromium. Chromium includes quite a few Google services built in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Shovelware is such a polite term; I prefer crapware. Ther eis program designed to remove crapware from new PCs that's actually called PC Decrapifier.

Crapware is too vague though.  Shovelware is sort of a subset of crapware.  Is shovelware crapware though? Yes.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Oh God I have never seen a post I so strongly disagree with. 

IE11 was shit. Complete and utter garbage. I am honestly surprised to see even a single person that liked it. 

What kind of cookie control are toy missing in Chrome or Firefox? 

 

 

1) Cutting features does not necessary increase performance. Personally I haven't seen any performance increase. 

2) Not all services that were were related to privacy. 

3) a lot of the services that were cut has just been replaced with equally privacy intrusive services, but the data goes to Microsoft instead of Google. 

4) This new edge browser is not good if you want privacy. 

 

 

1) There is no such thing as "Chromium kernel". It's just called Chromium.

2) some of the Google services that were cut are in Chromium. Chromium includes quite a few Google services built in. 

The undeserved bad reputation given to IE11 is due to memories of IE6. IE6 was crap. IE started getting better around IE9. IE11 worked just fine By the time it came out, it was as secure as most browsers, if not more so, and was the only browser left that allowed custom control of individual cookies as websites tried to put them on the computer. When IE11 was set to do so, every time a website tried to put a cookie on your computer, you would get a popup giving you a choice of accepting or rejecting the cookie for this session only or to permanently accept or reject the cookie.

 

Again Chromium is not Google Chrome so nothing was cut out from the Chromium kernel because it was never there. An there is suc a thing as the Chromium kernel. Read this.


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×