Welcome to *new* Edge web browser. Chromium based Edge being rolled out to all.

GoodBytes
17 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

If the Chromium Edge makes better use of system resources, I can see myself switching to it on my old laptop and maybe even on my 2ndary computer. 

The beta has been recommended by a few people who have the same laptop as me to improve battery life versus Chrome, and while not massive it seems to be a bit lighter on the CPU indeed, and hasn't yet done to me the thing that Chrome tends to do when reopened after not having been used for a while i.e. suck 30-50% CPU for 10 minutes or so.

Didn't check RAM usage.

I've put all my usual extensions on and they all work, so I'm on the happy side and saying good job for once.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

With the switch to Chromium, will Edge still be capable of running 1080p videos on Netflix?  Chrome can't because of some stupid DRM nonsense.

I'm happy with the logo/icon change, they should have done it sooner however. So many people confuse the E from EDGE as the E from (internet) EXPLORER.

28 minutes ago, Quinnell said:

With the switch to Chromium, will Edge still be capable of running 1080p videos on Netflix?  Chrome can't because of some stupid DRM nonsense.

It should be able to. 

The reason why Chrome on Windows can't run it is because Netflix doesn't allow "third party" browsers to run the higher quality settings. Chrome on ChromeOS for example is allowed to run 1080 since it's OS native, but chrome on Windows (which supports all the same thing Chrome on ChromeOS does) is blocked from accessing 1080p.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:47 AM, GoodBytes said:

So in conclusion, the new Edge web browser is Chrome, but tied to Microsoft service instead of Google, with Microsoft touch and improvements applied to it.

That's misleading. If it was that simple, Edge would have been replaced back in 2018.

The web browser is webkit-based. But it reports the user agent as so:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/79.0.3945.117 Safari/537.36 Edg/79.0.309.65

However Microsoft is in fact using V8 and Webkit, the same as all Chromium Embedded Frameworks (eg every "html5 app" on every platform).

Opera reports this:

Notice the Chrome string is the same?

Current version of Chrome:

So every browser is reporting it's the current version of chrome except Firefox:

How soon till the user agents get truncated to just "HTML/5" ?

I've actually been using the beta channel of the Chromium-based Edge for several months now. I haven't turned back since. If you don't rely on Chrome to store passwords (which you shouldn't :P), this is actually worth your time. They've also activated bookmark and history syncing, so using Edge on Android (which uses Chromium anyway) is finally appealing.

I love Google products, but the idea that every single aspect of my activity while using Chrome can "phone home" is something that always bothered me.

I get why people immediately write this off because it reminds them of Internet Explorer and how much Microsoft sucks at this game. I think it's foolish to do so because this is shockingly good (gulp, there I said it.)

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

GSkill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 l NZXT Kraken M22 AIO l Deepcool Macube 310P

On 1/15/2020 at 10:47 AM, GoodBytes said:

As previously mentioned, the web browser supports Chrome very own extensions, which you can simply install by going on Google's Chrome Play Store, and get. Just hit "Add to Chrome" on the extension you want, and it will install it on your Edge web browser.

It's the chrome web store, not play store, jtlyk

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Thanks, but I'll stick to the feature rich Vivaldi that performs amazingly.

*sees people saying this Edge is pretty good*
and here I am on the original Edge all like

"The non Chromium version is/was great too"

it does sort of sadden me that when MS moves over to chromium a ton of people decide to give Edge a shot 

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

*sees people saying this Edge is pretty good*
and here I am on the original Edge all like

"The non Chromium version is/was great too"

it does sort of sadden me that when MS moves over to chromium a ton of people decide to give Edge a shot 

The biggest issue with the old Edge, is that it had a lot of trouble keeping up the paste with web changes, while catching up in terms of web technologies but also interface, and optimizations for the given resources at the team disposal. It was just too much for them to handle. And the, for what I can only assume, architectural error, which continued to have the web browser tied to the OS, even thaugh it was not their intention since day 1, to deliver faster updates really all piled up to them not ending up with a good overall web browser despite certain qualities and strength it had over the others.

So the current direction of taking Chromium and making a Microsoft version of it with its own unique feature set, is perhaps the the best for them, and for us, users.

Already they pushed smoother scrolling on Chromium which is nice, people reported that Microsoft implementation of service replacement from Google to be superior in terms of optimizations (consumes lower memory and CPU, but I that is what is claimed, I have not compared, so take it as a grain of salt). It is already some good signs. We also see an organized and easy to navigate Settings panel, Fluent Design element appearing, making websites as apps with PWA support if teh sites uses the APIs. So it seems that so far, the web browser is evolving much quicker then with Edge, and they do front and back end with much ease compared to before.

Seeing that Collections is coming, I suspect that plans to bring all old Edge features to the new one is definitely in the works. 

Neat. I actually use edge. It wasn't bad to begin with tbh.
Only ever really used it on laptop for the placebo that my battery would last longer tho :P

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I have no love for Microsoft as many of you might know. But Chrome runs like shit. If Microsoft can make a browser based on Chrome that runs better, I’m all for it. Hopefully the Linux version doesn’t take forever to come out. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 1/15/2020 at 2:51 PM, Bombastinator said:

*still wants to know if Microsoft sucked the spyware out of chrome or not*

Use chromium. I'm fairly certain that is actually what M$ is doing as well. you could also try Brave, Opera, and basically every other browser besides firefox and safari if you want chrome with out google built in... But even if M$ is not using google spyware, you realize windows 10 is already collecting just as much if not more than your browser. (I turned off every thing I could during setup.) So its just going to have M$ spyware built in now.

Also the new Edge Browser is also available for Windows 7.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

9 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

safari

I dont think they offer Windows or Linux versions any more. Which is sad because Id use Safari. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I dont think they offer Windows or Linux versions any more. Which is sad because Id use Safari. 

I do belive you are correct. I wonder if apple would make more money if they just released OSX the PC masses.

Just now, DavidKalinowski said:

I do belive you are correct. I wonder if apple would make more money if they just released OSX the PC masses.

It was discussed at one point.  The issue apparently is OSX is more expensive per user to develop than windows.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, DavidKalinowski said:

They dont care about that. Apple wants control. Thats the reason they dont use off the shelf ARM chips, the reason they bought Intel's mobile modem business and why MacOS is only offered on their hardware. 

18 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They dont care about that. Apple wants control. Thats the reason they dont use off the shelf ARM chips, the reason they bought Intel's mobile modem business and why MacOS is only offered on their hardware. 

Well they want to be able to run a profitable business anyway.  If profit leads them toward or away from control it is likely where they will go.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:22 PM, DeScruff said:

... Is it bad that all I can think about is how this will affect Merry's Web browser webcomic?
Merry.png.e42c1975783963841a730275d3b7f76a.png

Also: Does anyone even say "Surf the web" anymore? To me thats such a... late 90s thing.

how did I never know about this. holy hell this amazing. thank you for showing me this ^_^ This needs to be turned into an anime.

- Thread cleaned -

Stay on topic.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

For me, my main focus is on my phone's browser. I need a browser that has sync between my laptop and Note 10.

That really only leaves Chrome (which I had been using) and Firefox. I was waiting to see how Firefox's new Android browser turns out (I'm not a fan of their current Android browser), but I decided to give Edge a try and I really like it. It's hitting all the boxes that I need between my computers and phone and I think I'm going to stick with it for the foreseeable future.

I've already moved my Windows and Mac computers over, just hoping the announced Linux version releases soon so I can install it on my Linux partition.

This is going to determine whether or not I'll be switching.

I know it's still based on Chromium, but will it use less or more ram when doing the exact same tasks compared to Chrome itself.

5 hours ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

This is going to determine whether or not I'll be switching.

I know it's still based on Chromium, but will it use less or more ram when doing the exact same tasks compared to Chrome itself.

No the real question is will it run like SHIT like Chrome does. Ram usage is not an issue with me, I have 16 Gigs worth, but Chrome runs like crap and always has.