Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Cow

Larger than 32GB USB Flash Drive Use Case

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I picked up a couple new flash drives to replace some 2.0 and even 1.0 drives and noticed that most start at the 32GB point and going up from there is not terribly expensive by comparison. my main use over a gig is storing a recent set of drivers and install media in case i totally bork something and my 130 some gigs of MP3 fit on my phone for car listening.

 

I'm just curious what others have found useful in having large capacity flash drives.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mainly operating systems (transfering and booting). Depending on the os they can take multiple gigabytes (centOS takes 8 GB for instance). But more than let's say 16GB for files etc. I've actually never needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Cow said:

I picked up a couple new flash drives to replace some 2.0 and even 1.0 drives and noticed that most start at the 32GB point and going up from there is not terribly expensive by comparison. my main use over a gig is storing a recent set of drivers and install media in case i totally bork something and my 130 some gigs of MP3 fit on my phone for car listening.

 

I'm just curious what others have found useful in having large capacity flash drives.

I have a few USB 3.1 Type A and C (dual) drives, on one of them I keep some movies in case I need to go to hospital or somewhere where I might not have time to chuck some on my phone... just some favourites that I can watch over and over again.  On another I keep some progs that I might need for my own or someone else's PC in case I don't have access to pull them from my home server... along with some settings and info. And on the 3rd drive I use it with YUMI, to have some much needed ISO installers. 

I have another m.2 adaptor drive with an m.2 SSD inside that has a type C connnector (can be used with a USB c to c, or A to c cable), for my backup stuff, plus in case I need something quickly stored and accessed... this is my most useful drive TBH, 240GB storage capacity, AND pretty fast at approx 240-300MB/s writes.. not expensive either, at the time I got it cost me around £40-45 for the adaptor case and the 240GB drive. Now you can get the drives for around £25 and the caddy/adaptor for around £10 I think. I will be getting more of these.

Plus an NVME one once USB 4.0 comes out and can then get that sweet 40Gbps speeds :D

 


Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

 

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/XyXyXL
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • Main Server - ASrock AB350M Pro 4 - AMD Athlon 200GE - 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM - 240GB Crucial M500 SSD Boot Drive, running Windows 10, plex server - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs.
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  •  
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  •  
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently needed a 64GB drive to transfer over Witcher 3 from one computer to another. With more modern games it might need a 128GB drive.


QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

 

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List

 

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 512GB SSD - 16GB DDR4 - I lost my pen so I convince myself I don't need it

 

"Sometimes I just buy computer hardware with no practical use for it, maybe I'm weird"

-Galileo Galilei, 1604

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

I recently needed a 64GB drive to transfer over Witcher 3 from one computer to another. With more modern games it might need a 128GB drive.

This one is a good use case for me. Downloading games to my laptop is way faster than copy from desktop SSD to external HDD then copy to laptop SSD.

 

 

I knew i'd get some good ones from you guys. Most are outside of my activities but it gives reason to why so many are so large. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Kon-Tiki said:

Mainly operating systems (transfering and booting). Depending on the os they can take multiple gigabytes (centOS takes 8 GB for instance). But more than let's say 16GB for files etc. I've actually never needed.

Same, I'm sure there are a whole host of uses but i'v never been in a position or industry that required it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I have a few USB 3.1 Type A and C (dual) drives, on one of them I keep some movies in case I need to go to hospital or somewhere where I might not have time to chuck some on my phone... just some favourites that I can watch over and over again.  On another I keep some progs that I might need for my own or someone else's PC in case I don't have access to pull them from my home server... along with some settings and info. And on the 3rd drive I use it with YUMI, to have some much needed ISO installers. 

I have another m.2 adaptor drive with an m.2 SSD inside that has a type C connnector (can be used with a USB c to c, or A to c cable), for my backup stuff, plus in case I need something quickly stored and accessed... this is my most useful drive TBH, 240GB storage capacity, AND pretty fast at approx 240-300MB/s writes.. not expensive either, at the time I got it cost me around £40-45 for the adaptor case and the 240GB drive. Now you can get the drives for around £25 and the caddy/adaptor for around £10 I think. I will be getting more of these.

Plus an NVME one once USB 4.0 comes out and can then get that sweet 40Gbps speeds :D

 

I've thought of doing the m.2 drive myself and retiring the old external HDDs but have read that data retention is pretty short when no power is applied, short in comparison to HDDs. The movie idea is great, I have downloaded so much media i have no interest to my phone when given 8 hour notice that i have to fly out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Cow said:

I've thought of doing the m.2 drive myself and retiring the old external HDDs but have read that data retention is pretty short when no power is applied, short in comparison to HDDs. The movie idea is great, I have downloaded so much media i have no interest to my phone when given 8 hour notice that i have to fly out.

Data retention time for consumer SSDs is about one year without power for the worst-case scenario, where the drive is near the end of it's life (lots of writes).


QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

 

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List

 

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 512GB SSD - 16GB DDR4 - I lost my pen so I convince myself I don't need it

 

"Sometimes I just buy computer hardware with no practical use for it, maybe I'm weird"

-Galileo Galilei, 1604

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 250gig Samsung T5 for holding PC diagnostic programs, Windows install ISOs. I also use it for when I need to shuffle data to another PC fast, or if I need to I can access the data on a modern smartphone with the USB C to C adapter. They do get expensive as the capacity grows, but I haven't had a single issue with mine at all. Tiny little devices, but very fast.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're in a situation where you can't access the cloud very easily (where internet is weak, filtered, or nonexistent) but you need to carry a decent sized library with you. The most classic use case is if you have to have a lot of videos with you and you don't know when you can get to a high speed internet point next.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 1:03 PM, The Cow said:

I picked up a couple new flash drives to replace some 2.0 and even 1.0 drives and noticed that most start at the 32GB point and going up from there is not terribly expensive by comparison. my main use over a gig is storing a recent set of drivers and install media in case i totally bork something and my 130 some gigs of MP3 fit on my phone for car listening.

 

I'm just curious what others have found useful in having large capacity flash drives.

Excess. I hate having just enough to scoot by.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×