Computer Speakers

max668
13 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

And I wouldn't be surprised you haven't listened to any good speaker systems. Unless you catch one heck of a sale or stumble across a good, used system, even 2.0 isn't going to be all that great for $150. Usually, the more speakers you add, the lower the quality for each speaker has to be to still cost the same as a 2.0 system.

The value of 5.1 depends on what the user is going to use them for. For music, 5.1 is of no benefit. For the money one would spend on a 5.1 system , one can buy a much better 2.1 system or an even better 2.0 system. 

5.1 is better suited for movies (assuming they have a surround sound option; not all do) or for gaming. Even then, 5.1 is of benefit only if there is room for the speakers to be positioned properly. 5.1 of any quality cannot be heard properly in a small room.

Btw, I've had Logitech 5.1 speakers and they were trash. I would have been better off spending the money on a 2.0 system that wasn't Logitech. Even as grossly overpriced Bose is, a Bose 2.0 system will beat out Logitech for the same price as any Logitech.

I think you forgot we are talking about PC speakers.

And not a full apparatus of high fidelity sound, that can cost over 1k$

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

4 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I think you forgot we are talking about PC speakers.

And not a full apparatus of high fidelity sound, that can cost over 1k$

Nope. I'm talking about computer speakers. And you don't need to spend over $1k for good sound. My 2.1 system (using JBL 5" studio monitor speakers, a matching 10" sub, and a Dragonfly Red USB DAC) cost only around $800 all together, including Monoprice cables, all caught on sale. I started with just the studio monitors (self amplified with a fairly flat response), later added the sub (also self amplified), then added the DAC later still. This is not even what audiosnobs audiophiles would consider a baseline speaker system but, for music, they sound great to me (and make anything from Logitech sound like the sound coming out of cheap laptop speakers, not to mention will last much longer).

For $150 (and I'm not knocking the amount, we all have budgets we have to live within), the OP will get his best bang for his buck by sticking to 2.0 or 2.1 speakers. Also, if at all possible, he should listen to speakers at a showroom to see what he likes best rather than depend on specific recommendations from others (other than how durable they might or might not be). Everyone's ears are different and everyone has different taste so only the person who is going to be listening to the speakers should be the one making the decision on what to buy.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

29 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Nope. I'm talking about computer speakers. And you don't need to spend over $1k for good sound. My 2.1 system (using JBL 5" studio monitor speakers, a matching 10" sub, and a Dragonfly Red USB DAC) cost only around $800 all together, including Monoprice cables, all caught on sale. I started with just the studio monitors (self amplified with a fairly flat response), later added the sub (also self amplified), then added the DAC later still. This is not even what audiosnobs audiophiles would consider a baseline speaker system but, for music, they sound great to me (and make anything from Logitech sound like the sound coming out of cheap laptop speakers, not to mention will last much longer).

For $150 (and I'm not knocking the amount, we all have budgets we have to live within), the OP will get his best bang for his buck by sticking to 2.0 or 2.1 speakers. Also, if at all possible, he should listen to speakers at a showroom to see what he likes best rather than depend on specific recommendations from others (other than how durable they might or might not be). Everyone's ears are different and everyone has different taste so only the person who is going to be listening to the speakers should be the one making the decision on what to buy.

FYI you don't need to spend $800 to get a good sounding system. Furthermore Logitech makes both good and bad products, just like literally every other company. I have the Z5300 5.1 set (have had it for something like 15+ years now), and that wasn't even the top 5.1 package from Logitech, and it's a great speaker set.

Is it comparable to an $800 or $1000+ 5.1 set? Hell no, of course not. But just because something sounds better, doesn't automatically make the thing you're comparing it to sound bad. My Z5300's are great for movies. Sure the sub is a bit muddy at times, but for the price, the quality is pretty good.

With all of that in mind, the OP simply needs to decide what he's going to use the speakers for, and what he values most. There's nothing wrong with a $150 5.1 set. They're not going to blow you away with sound quality, but they can do the job nicely if having surround sound is of high importance.

However, he's not gonna watch movies at all, then yes, getting a 2.1 or 2.0 system makes infinitely more sense, as for the space price, of course the speakers will be better.

But let's not get into the habit of shitting on a $150 set just because there are much better more expensive sets.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

FYI you don't need to spend $800 to get a good sounding system. Furthermore Logitech makes both good and bad products, just like literally every other company. I have the Z5300 5.1 set (have had it for something like 15+ years now), and that wasn't even the top 5.1 package from Logitech, and it's a great speaker set.

Is it comparable to an $800 or $1000+ 5.1 set? Hell no, of course not. But just because something sounds better, doesn't automatically make the thing you're comparing it to sound bad. My Z5300's are great for movies. Sure the sub is a bit muddy at times, but for the price, the quality is pretty good.

With all of that in mind, the OP simply needs to decide what he's going to use the speakers for, and what he values most. There's nothing wrong with a $150 5.1 set. They're not going to blow you away with sound quality, but they can do the job nicely if having surround sound is of high importance.

However, he's not gonna watch movies at all, then yes, getting a 2.1 or 2.0 system makes infinitely more sense, as for the space price, of course the speakers will be better.

But let's not get into the habit of shitting on a $150 set just because there are much better more expensive sets.

Most PC 2.1s or 5.1s can be great starting points for audio system development. When I started out, I had an SW-G 2.1 for $50, then I replaced the speakers, first to a pair of Sony SS-A307s ($15 used), then to Klipsch R-15Ms ($75 on clearance), and the sub to a cheap Panasonic HTIB's part. If you're starting out, going full ghetto and just iteratively filling your Jack ports, upgrading to quadro, and then to 5.1 with anything you can find cheap, is a viable and cost-effective option. This won't even cost you extra in the long run, as you can sell anything for the same price if you bought them used and haven't used them for that long. When I arrived at my first actual cinema hardware, my balance was still below $300 for the money I spent at audio equipment. You can get really lucky if you invest your time. The funniest part is that I still have Genius amps hidden in my system, because I really like them. Yes, it's destroyed by a Crown amp, but diminishing returns come into play.

Keep in mind "good" and "bad" are subjective. If you like "bad", go for it.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

2 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Keep in mind "good" and "bad" are subjective. If you like "bad", go for it.

This is a contradictory statement. You're saying what you think is bad is subjective, then you go on to keep referring to a subjective thing as bad - it's no different from an underhanded compliment. Not saying you're intentionally trying to be insulting (since I doubt you are), but you thinking something is bad doesn't make it so, and putting quotations around it doesn't make it any better.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

This is a contradictory statement. You're saying what you think is bad is subjective, then you go on to keep referring to a subjective thing as bad - it's no different from an underhanded compliment. Not saying you're intentionally trying to be insulting (since I doubt you are), but you thinking something is bad doesn't make it so, and putting quotations around it doesn't make it any better.

You missed the point although you are close. I should have been more clear the last "bad" I referred to was based on my tastes. Some people like from a greasy spoon while others think that kind of food is bad.

Jeannie

2 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

You missed the point although you are close. I should have been more clear the last "bad" I referred to was based on my tastes. Some people like from a greasy spoon while others think that kind of food is bad.

This is true - however, the way we communicate matters. I'll digress the matter, since I agree with your basic premise that bad (as is taste in general) is subjective, and therefore different people will value things differently, especially in particular anything audio.

8 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

And I wouldn't be surprised you haven't listened to any good speaker systems. Unless you catch one heck of a sale or stumble across a good, used system, even 2.0 isn't going to be all that great for $150. Usually, the more speakers you add, the lower the quality for each speaker has to be to still cost the same as a 2.0 system.

The value of 5.1 depends on what the user is going to use them for. For music, 5.1 is of no benefit. For the money one would spend on a 5.1 system , one can buy a much better 2.1 system or an even better 2.0 system. 

5.1 is better suited for movies (assuming they have a surround sound option; not all do) or for gaming. Even then, 5.1 is of benefit only if there is room for the speakers to be positioned properly. 5.1 of any quality cannot be heard properly in a small room.

Btw, I've had Logitech 5.1 speakers and they were trash. I would have been better off spending the money on a 2.0 system that wasn't Logitech. Even as grossly overpriced Bose is, a Bose 2.0 system will beat out Logitech for the same price as any Logitech.

Was Z606 5.1 Surround Sound  a good choice ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MVYH9VJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

If I made the wrong choice please suggest me something better ...

3 minutes ago, max668 said:

If I made the wrong choice please suggest me something better ...

We did.

I've been very happy with Mackie CR5BT in stereo.  I prefer it over my Logitech 5.1 from 15 years ago, which aged well for what it was.

$200 range for a 2.0 powered system is a good way to get great sound affordably for most people.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

8 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

he should listen to speakers at a showroom to see what he likes best rather than depend on specific recommendations from others

You are right but I dont know anything about speakers and I dont have time going to showrooms ... so this is my best bet

1 minute ago, EmoRarity said:

We did.

didnt see links

Just now, jstudrawa said:

I've been very happy with Mackie CR5BT in stereo.  I prefer it over my Logitech 5.1 from 15 years ago, which aged well for what it was.

$200 range for a 2.0 powered system is a good way to get great sound affordably for most people.

Agreed, but out of budget. Swan M10s or ~5 inch studio monitors 

1 minute ago, max668 said:

didnt see links

I didn't send links. Does Amazon work.

Just now, EmoRarity said:

I didn't send links. Does Amazon work.

yes

Just now, EmoRarity said:

Agreed, but out of budget. Swan M10s or ~5 inch studio monitors 

Right, was hoping he could maybe stretch the budget or find used.

Not having time to go listen to speakers...  Ehh, something I wouldn't recommend.  Hearing is subjective, I love hitting soundrooms.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Thanks

I did see those suggestions
Edifier R1280T  was my first choice.. but I still dont know what to chose

Which looks interesting. 

1 minute ago, EmoRarity said:

Which looks interesting. 

It sure does

2 minutes ago, max668 said:

It sure does

Which is it. The edifiers? The swans? 

K

Well they are flexible, affordable and have a reasonable feature set. They are from a respectable company that builds a respectable product. They will out last the most expensive Logitech set.