Scythe cooler is this OK? If so getting AM4 mounting

darklighthim

I have a Scythe Ashura CPU cooler that I was using with an LGA1156 intel CPU for years, then I moved to AM4 with a Ryzen 5 2600

Initially I just ran stock as the old cooler was pre-AM4 so no mounting hardware in the box and really wanted to get a system up and running.

Now though I might want to swap coolers and wondering if the Scythe Ashura would be OK for a stock and maybe lightly overclocked 2600.

Also does anyone know where I can pick up the correct mounting hardware? I tried emailing Scythe as per their website about purchasing mounts, as they mention my cooler as being able to use AM4 mounting but they never got back as far as I could see..

Desktop
i5-760: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb Asus GTX 760 2gb

Laptop 

i5-4300u: 8GB ram, Intel HD: 128GB: 1080p Touch

Mounting hardware for your specific cooler probably doesn't exist. I don't recommended it [as you could get a 212 eve or something for cheap] but there is probably a functional, but illegitimate way to get it to fit. 

6 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

Mounting hardware for your specific cooler probably doesn't exist. I don't recommended it [as you could get a 212 eve or something for cheap] but there is probably a functional, but illegitimate way to get it to fit. 

It definitely does exist.
Scythe SCAM4-1000A Mounting kit for AM4 Type A. The important part is the Type A. Type B is for a different set of coolers.

I looked a bit more into the cooler and it seems to be roughly on par with the NH-U12S, so definitely good enough for a 2600, and probably even something more power hungry.

I recently bought the Type B kit for my Ninja 4 just to have it ready if I decide to upgrade. It cost me roughly $15 so a lot cheaper than a new cooler. But I had to source it from a random retailer that had it in stock (or Ebay, but it was slightly more expensive there).

It shouldn't be that hard to find a Type A for your cooler if you look up the exact model number I gave you. Most shops will probably list it as SCAM4-1000A. Just make sure you get the Type A.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Just now, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

1 minute ago, DJ46 said:

It definitely does exist.

Scythe SCAM4-1000A Mounting kit for AM4 Type A. The important part is the Type A. Type B is for a different set of coolers.

Yes, this.

I tried to email them as I wanted to buy the kit but got no response.

If my cooler is still decent then I'd rather just pay a little for a mounting kit than buying a whole new cooler, especially if something like a 212 isn't any better?

Desktop

Laptop 

2 minutes ago, darklighthim said:

Yes, this.

I tried to email them as I wanted to buy the kit but got no response.

Since I bought mine used so I didn't even try to contact Scythe directly.

A quick search on Ebay shows that these kits are still available. Prices are around $10 but I don't know where you're from, so shipping could easily be another $10.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

1 hour ago, DJ46 said:

Since I bought mine used so I didn't even try to contact Scythe directly.

A quick search on Ebay shows that these kits are still available. Prices are around $10 but I don't know where you're from, so shipping could easily be another $10.

I'll have a quick look on Ebay.

I'm in the UK so not sure how it'll be finding them here or the delivery costs.

Desktop

Laptop 

4 hours ago, darklighthim said:

I'm in the UK so not sure how it'll be finding them here or the delivery costs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-SCAM4-1000-Mounting-System-Type/dp/B06XW2W9TZ/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=scythe+am4&qid=1579126003&sr=8-2

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Desktop

Laptop