R5 3600 On B450

Toxic_Fate
Go to solution Solved by Toxic_Fate,
On 1/16/2020 at 8:46 AM, trevb0t said:

Let us know!

It worked w/o bios update 

My job is letting me build my own pc because the one they provided me day 1 I kill with the processes I run daily. So I put a build together I need to know if Ill need to update the Bios on a b450 to use my R5 3600 in and if so can I use Athlon 3000g to do the upgrade ?

get a msi b450 MAX series board and it will come with the right bios for the 3600. I recommend the msi b450 a-pro Max.

Its Mini Itx the build I already had the parts picked out let me see what mobo I chose.

As boggy said, you can get a MAX board from MSI (I would recommend the tomahawk or the gaming plus if you need to save as much $ as possible). iirc AMD also has a bios update program where they send you a loaner athlon 200g to update the bios for ryzen 3000 on b450 and other motherboards. Although that can be kinda a hastle

4 minutes ago, Retro_R said:

As boggy said, you can get a MAX board from MSI (I would recommend the tomahawk or the gaming plus if you need to save as much $ as possible). iirc AMD also has a bios update program where they send you a loaner athlon 200g to update the bios for ryzen 3000 on b450 and other motherboards. Although that can be kinda a hastle

Both of these are ATX boards I already have a ITX board as well as case ive already ordered the parts I just need to know if I can update the bios with a Athlon 3000g which I have at home.

Just now, Toxic_Fate said:

Both of these are ATX boards I already have a ITX board as well as case ive already ordered the parts I just need to know if I can update the bios with a Athlon 3000g which I have at home.

Probably not.  You want to upgrade the BIOS to be able to use a 3xxx series by using a 3xxx series to do so?

7 minutes ago, Toxic_Fate said:

I'm not sure. I think that those apus can work with b450, but i'm not sure. If you want to make sure something will work, I would look at the AMD bios update program here.

1 hour ago, Lorant said:

Probably not.  You want to upgrade the BIOS to be able to use a 3xxx series by using a 3xxx series to do so?

I figured maybe since that cpu is also 14mm architecture?

52 minutes ago, Retro_R said:

I'm not sure. I think that those apus can work with b450, but i'm not sure. If you want to make sure something will work, I would look at the AMD bios update program here.

This is my part list

15 minutes ago, Toxic_Fate said:

This is my part list

you're missing a gpu. the 660p is quite slow. the psu is bad.

16 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Dont need a GPU for my workstation needs all CPU intensive tasks

4 minutes ago, Toxic_Fate said:

Dont need a GPU for my workstation needs all CPU intensive tasks

the ryzen 5 3600 doesn't have an integrated gpu. so you need a bare minimum gpu to display.

something like this maybe?

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the ryzen 5 3600 doesn't have an integrated gpu. so you need a bare minimum gpu to display.

something like this maybe?

Oh yeah I have a qaudro 600 im taking out of the pc I currently use.

If you go to the manufacturers website and search your board you can download the bios and as long as you have the working cpu in for that version you can usually extract the files on gigabytes or some other way for other manufacturers and put it on a flash drive then spam delete on reboot or the q-flash key and select the drive and click update. You can simply just look up how to install new bios on youtube but sadly i'm on a school chromebook in math right now so you know i can't send the link to the video but i did the bios update on an x570 by gigabyte

Purchase something like this and reuse ur Quadro 600.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($324.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($57.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $808.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-15 22:32 EST-0500

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

9 hours ago, VEXICUS said:

Purchase something like this and reuse ur Quadro 600.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($324.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($57.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $808.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-15 22:32 EST-0500

Like I said above already bout all the parts there in shipping.

23 hours ago, Toxic_Fate said:

Its Mini Itx the build I already had the parts picked out let me see what mobo I chose.

There aren't currently any B450 ITX boards that come stock with Zen 2 BIOS. That said the B450I Gaming Plus ITX is a solid choice if you can find an older Ryzen chip to slap in there for a BIOS update. (AMD does have a loaner program, but that will take a while.)

23 hours ago, Toxic_Fate said:

23 hours ago, Lorant said:

21 hours ago, Toxic_Fate said:

I figured maybe since that cpu is also 14mm architecture?

An interesting question. Athlon 3000G is on the first gen Zen microarchitecture from what I'm reading. So.. Possibly?

That said, the 3200/3400G are also a gen behind on Zen+ and (as far as I know) still require the BIOS for 3rd Gen Ryzen either way. 

So I'd bet that it's not going to take the Athlon 3000G at stock BIOS either. 

I would be interested to see if you're able to do so!

13 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

An interesting question. Athlon 3000G is on the first gen Zen microarchitecture from what I'm reading. So.. Possibly?

That said, the 3200/3400G are also a gen behind on Zen+ and (as far as I know) still require the BIOS for 3rd Gen Ryzen either way. 

So I'd bet that it's not going to take the Athlon 3000G at stock BIOS either. 

I would be interested to see if you're able to do so!

Yeah honestly im just hoping that I dont need a bios update to get things working i will update it after their working ofcourse.

1 hour ago, Toxic_Fate said:

Yeah honestly im just hoping that I dont need a bios update to get things working i will update it after their working ofcourse.

Let us know!