I need some help with a Dell PowerEdge T410 workstation

Hey guys, my dad gave me a Dell PowerEdge T410 and I'm hoping someone would be able to give me a hand with upgrading it.

My main desktop died and I wont have the dosh to build a new rig for quite some time, however, thankfully the 1050ti from my old rig still works and works well with the dell workstation.

So the question I have is, what's the best single/dual cpu to use?

From what I can tell the board supports intel xeon E55 and E56 series CPUs

I don't really game much besides Garry's Mod and Grand Theft Auto V, I'm mainly looking for something that could handle gmod or gta v while i've got firefox in the background.

Get any one of these CPUs - X5650/5660/5670/5680

Here are the prices of processors on AliExpress with free international shipping..

X5650 - $13

X5660 - $15

X5670 - $20

X5680 - $30

You can upgrade the RAM to 16gb. The board takes ECC registered memory. It is pretty cheap these days.

Get a cheapo 250gb SSD and use it as a boot drive.

Poweredge T410 uses 525W/580W power supply, which should be plenty for a 1050ti.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 hour ago, VEXICUS said:

Get any one of these CPUs - X5650/5660/5670/5680

Here are the prices of processors on AliExpress with free international shipping..

X5650 - $13

X5660 - $15

X5670 - $20

X5680 - $30

You can upgrade the RAM to 16gb. The board takes ECC registered memory. It is pretty cheap these days.

Get a cheapo 250gb SSD and use it as a boot drive.

Poweredge T410 uses 525W/580W power supply, which should be plenty for a 1050ti.

Thanks man, I haven't built a pc in years and don't have a clue of what the best xeon is besides "higher number means better" but, often that isn't the case so I thought I'd ask.

What about Dual cpu's?

Although the board doesn't support overclocking, it does however support dual CPUs.

Would it be better to use dual CPUs or just focus on getting the best preforming single CPU?

I currently have a T410 server.

Got 2 X5650 off a computer recycling center for about 15 dollars. Got 64GB of ECC RAM also but only using a older quadro k1000 video card.

The X5650s work great. I was using it mostly as a Virtual Box to test out some things and learning, plus using it as a PLEX/Minecraft server. Check your local business computer recycling centers, you can find a lot of good deals since most times they get bulk machines from colleges and business looking to dispose of older hardware, and will sometimes part out system components.

39 minutes ago, Thatretroaussie said:

Thanks man, I haven't built a pc in years and don't have a clue of what the best xeon is besides "higher number means better" but, often that isn't the case so I thought I'd ask.

What about Dual cpu's?

Although the board doesn't support overclocking, it does however support dual CPUs.

Would it be better to use dual CPUs or just focus on getting the best preforming single CPU?

First of all, what is your budget?

Get the dual x5670's if they are in your budget.

Edited by VEXICUS

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

20 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

First of all, what is your budget?

Get the dual x5670's if they are in your budget.

Well I don't really have a set budget per-se however, I'm trying to keep it under 150.

But thanks for the recomendation man, it really helps me repurpose the workstation.

I thought thought I'd ask about dual cpu setups because I heard that it wouldn't really benefit that much depending on what the machines being used for.

Just checked out the specs of t410. That board doesn't support overclocking. So, I'll recommend a single x5680 as it is higher clocked than the other options. 

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

31 minutes ago, Papabear1977 said:

I currently have a T410 server.

Got 2 X5650 off a computer recycling center for about 15 dollars. Got 64GB of ECC RAM also but only using a older quadro k1000 video card.

The X5650s work great. I was using it mostly as a Virtual Box to test out some things and learning, plus using it as a PLEX/Minecraft server. Check your local business computer recycling centers, you can find a lot of good deals since most times they get bulk machines from colleges and business looking to dispose of older hardware, and will sometimes part out system components.

Hmm didn't think about salvaging cpu's from recycling centres, I might look at doing that one point.

But for now I dont think I could do that at the moment.