2x120 AIO with one fan intake and the other exhaust. Any drawback

Go to solution Solved by Jumballi,
1 minute ago, jafanello said:

Thank you all guys for he suggestion. 

I have a total of 4 fans plus the additional 2 of the AIO. 

Sorry for not being clear. The AIO is a 240 with  two 120 fans. 

It would be in perfect balance if it was not for the PSU fan which is actually causing to have negative pressure inside. 

Maybe I can just remove one of the fans.

you can flip the psu

Hi all, I am trying to balance the intake/exhaust ratio in my build. 

The AIO is a Corsair h100i Platinum mounted on the top. Does mounting the two fans running in different directions have any drawback? 

Thanks

open-grille.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

open-grille.png

Hi DoctorNick,

thanks for the explanatory picture. :D

So i suppose there is no drawback in having the two portions of the radiator with airflows in different directions. 

I wanted just to be sure that I wasn't doing something completely stupid. :)

are you saying you have 2 radiators or and just flipping one of the fans?
im going to assume that you're flipping the fans, which is a bad idea because the most accessible air the fan will get is the hot air the other fan just spit out

just go with some extra pressure on one side, not the end of the world with some lost efficiency, just add a fan in the future if it bothers you that much

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

5 minutes ago, jafanello said:

Hi DoctorNick,

thanks for the explanatory picture. :D

So i suppose there is no drawback in having the two portions of the radiator with airflows in different directions. 

I wanted just to be sure that I wasn't doing something completely stupid. :)

I see.. If you only have one intake fan, just add another one as @Jumballi says. Another draw back from one intake fans vs. 2x out is more dust, because of negative pressure. To combat that you could move your radiator to the front of the case. If you do that mount as shown below:

nbuNpxMl.jpg&key=91bc31017491a68c65f5989

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 fans together.  Having 1 fan on the other side also causes stress on the mounting on your casing as only 1 fan set of screws is holding it up.  The 2nd fan is also blowing hot air from the GPU through the radiator so that's also a no go.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Both fans should be facing the same side, this is what we call a push-pull config (one fan pushes air, another pulls).

But its a h100i (240mm) with 2x fans. So push-pull is not an option.

FS in Denmark/EU:

Just now, DoctorNick said:

But its a h100i (240mm) with 2x fans. So push-pull is not an option.

I edited the entire post when I figured out it was a 240mm rad :P  The title confused me, I only saw 2x120 so assumed it was a single fan rad.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

8 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I see.. If you only have one intake fan, just add another one as @Jumballi says. Another draw back from one intake fans vs. 2x out is more dust, because of negative pressure. To combat that you could move your radiator to the front of the case. If you do that mount as shown below:

the negative/positive thing has shown to make no difference until you're at like 3 fans more than the other, and dust will always find as way.

best solution is airflow from from of case towards the exhaust.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

3 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

the negative/positive thing has shown to make no difference until you're at like 3 fans more than the other, and dust will always find as way.

best solution is airflow from from of case towards the exhaust.

That depends on 1. the case. 2. fans used.

FS in Denmark/EU:

It would be in perfect balance if it was not for the PSU fan which is actually causing to have negative pressure inside. 

1 minute ago, jafanello said:

you can flip the psu

1 hour ago, Jumballi said:

you can flip the psu

That's interesting.

Do you mean opening the PSU and rotate the fan in order to push air in instead of out?

24 minutes ago, jafanello said:

That's interesting.

Do you mean opening the PSU and rotate the fan in order to push air in instead of out?

No you can just install the power supply upside down, it will just get air from outside the case if there are ventilation holes on the bottom of the case

So top mounted 240 rad and you are wanting to put one as intake and one as exhaust?  

Does it matter....negligible.  Would I?  Are you looking to create neutral pressure?  While neutral pressure keeps cases cleaner longer, it also creates hot spots in PC cases.  I prefer positive or negative.  Just curious why you want this balance.

EDIT - I currently have a top mount intake in trial (to see how I like it myself) and I don't.  It doesn't help thermals in my situation, and only adds more dust on the top of the case.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

9 hours ago, Tristerin said:

So top mounted 240 rad and you are wanting to put one as intake and one as exhaust?  

Does it matter....negligible.  Would I?  Are you looking to create neutral pressure?  While neutral pressure keeps cases cleaner longer, it also creates hot spots in PC cases.  I prefer positive or negative.  Just curious why you want this balance.

EDIT - I currently have a top mount intake in trial (to see how I like it myself) and I don't.  It doesn't help thermals in my situation, and only adds more dust on the top of the case.

Hi, 

I was trying to avoid build up of excessive dust, that is why i was trying to get neutral pressure, or at least a bit of positive pressure.

9 hours ago, Jumballi said:

No you can just install the power supply upside down, it will just get air from outside the case if there are ventilation holes on the bottom of the case

Thanks for this. That's great. Itmactually has holes on the bottom that I did not notice when mounting it. 

I am going with this. Cheers