hard drive required if you have an ssd?

firsttobebear

I am going to be building a new pc within a few months and I want to know if I need a hard drive if I have 3 ssds each with 2 terrabytes.

8 minutes ago, firsttobebear said:

I am going to be building a new pc within a few months and I want to know if I need a hard drive if I have 3 ssds each with 2 terrabytes.

why would you think you need a hdd when you have 6TB of ssd storage ? ? 

16 minutes ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

why would you think you need a hdd when you have 6TB of ssd storage ? ? 

idk about him , but a hdd is still a smart thing to have.

three 2tb hdds are cheap and can back up each of his ssd's , or just a single 8tb. And or , he can have a low cost place to store files he may gather in the future.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

idk about him , but a hdd is still a smart thing to have.

three 2tb hdds are cheap and can back up each of his ssd's , or just a single 8tb. And or , he can have a low cost place to store files he may gather in the future.

sure. i still have hdd for important backups. but you dont "need" it. 

2 hours ago, firsttobebear said:

If an HDD is necessary with SSDs, I'm in BIG trouble because I've been using nothing but SSDs for a few years now.

All seriousness (?) aside, you don't need an HDD when using SSDs. However, there are times when using one or more HDDs with one or more SSDs would be desirable. To keep costs down, many people will use a smaller SSD to keep their OS and programs on for more speed when booting the computer and opening programs, then use a less expensive, larger HDD to store data on.

Another scenario is using only SSDs in the computer for OS, programs, and data, then using HDDs for backing up the SSDs. That is also a cost saver.

Btw, I recommend keeping a set of at least two external backup drives for each data drive on the computer--one of each set kept onsite and the other one offsite--to reasonably ensure your data is safe. HDDs are far more cost effective for this than SSDs (this coming from the broad who uses nothing but SSDs ? ).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!