Best Software For Controlling Fan Control & Monitoring System Temps? Recommendations Appreciated!

Alright people. About a week ago, I FINALLY managed to build my dream gaming pc & things have been pretty good so far. However, I have noticed that my Corsair LL120mm RGB fans to tend get only a little noisy when they ramp up. TBH, the noise is only minimal & doesn’t bother me all that much; only at times.

With that being said, I’ll give you guys a little info on my setup. My case has a total of 4 of Corsair’s LL120mm RGB fans. Only the rear fan is plugged into a fan header on my motherboard. The other 3 had to be plugged into a PWM Fan Splitter which was then plugged into a fan header in order to support the rest. For the lighting effects, all 4 fans are plugged into the included Corsair RGB Fan Hub & the Lighting Node Pro. Now, I thought I had heard that Corsair’s Link & iCue software don’t support fan control or something? Let me know if my facts are right on this! Anyway, I’m trying to find some software out there that can provide PWM fan control & hardware monitoring in case you’re concerned about temps. Would the NZXT Cam software be the right choice for my needs or should I go with something else? Do Let me know! And if you need any other details or have questions, just ask & I’ll be sure to get back with you!

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here! :) 

As far as I know, if you want to use iCue for fan control you need to have a Corsair fan controller (i.e. Corsair Commander Pro).

I would just set up a fan curve in BIOS, setup a GPU fan curve in MSI Afterburner or EVGA PrecisionX and monitor using HWInfo64/HWMonitor (I just kinda find HWMonitor easier to use)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

As far as I know, if you want to use iCue for fan control you need to have a Corsair fan controller (i.e. Corsair Commander Pro).

I would just set up a fan curve in BIOS, setup a GPU fan curve in MSI Afterburner or EVGA PrecisionX and monitor using HWInfo64/HWMonitor (I just kinda find HWMonitor easier to use)

I know doing it in my BIOS is an option but I don't really want to do that. So does HWInfo64/HWMonitor provide fan control & temp monitoring or not? I'm just trying to look at other options.

Just now, Kjennings92 said:

I know doing it in my BIOS is an option but I don't really want to do that. So does HWInfo64/HWMonitor provide fan control & temp monitoring or not? I'm just trying to look at other options.

HWInfo64 and HWMonitor are monitoring programs, not fan control programs.

I am not familiar with fan control programs for case fans, as I have always used the BIOS for that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

56 minutes ago, minibois said:

HWInfo64 and HWMonitor are monitoring programs, not fan control programs.

I am not familiar with fan control programs for case fans, as I have always used the BIOS for that.

Oh OK. Thanks for trying tho! :/ If you think of it, just pass this post on to someone who might have more expertise. I would appreciate it immensely! :D 

Edited by Kjennings92

I would recommend using UEFI instead of any software program if you can.

More stable, set-and-forget type of thing.

If you need to use a program, speedfan is pretty commmonly used.

HWinfo is great for monitoring everything possible.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I would recommend using UEFI instead of any software program if you can.

More stable, set-and-forget type of thing.

If you need to use a program, speedfan is pretty commmonly used.

HWinfo is great for monitoring everything possible.

OK, but does it cover BOTH of my needs: fan control & system temp monitoring? Just curious.

1 minute ago, Kjennings92 said:

OK, but does it cover BOTH of my needs: fan control & system temp monitoring? Just curious.

No, only monitoring.

I don't think there's software that is great at both.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

No, only monitoring.

I don't think there's software that is great at both.

I get you. How good is it at monitoring by chance?

4 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

I get you. How good is it at monitoring by chance?

Go take a look at some pictures of it online.

It reads basically every sensor in your system and you can set alarms or graphs for anything you want.

Spoiler

You got an asus motherboard by any chance?  Asus and Corsair recently teamed up with iCUE.  I m not sure you’ll find higher level fan control software.  It may exist I suppose.  I’m not sure why anyone would want it though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You got an asus motherboard by any chance?  Asus and Corsair recently teamed up with iCUE.  I m not sure you’ll find higher level fan control software.  It may exist I suppose.  I’m not sure why anyone would want it though.

Funny you mention that as I DO have an Asus motherboard. But I thought I had heard iCue & Link don't offer fan control, hence why I'm asking.

13 hours ago, Kjennings92 said:

Funny you mention that as I DO have an Asus motherboard. But I thought I had heard iCue & Link don't offer fan control, hence why I'm asking.

They do, but as said, in past you would have required to have either Corsair AIO with USB connection or Commander Pro/Mini controller unit. If Corsair option isn't there for you, there are other options. Using motherboard, as said before, either in BIOS or with desktop software (Asus Fan Xpert). Or you can pay and use Argus Monitor. Or if you would happen to be lucky, Speedfan is free. Though it only work on handful of mobos, mainly AsRock ones. Then there's another software made by one of our members:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv