Have a friend with open walls and old coax

Bombastinator

So I have a friend who has pulled all the Sheetrock off his interior walls and has a bunch of old coax from 1985.  He’s got rg59, rg6, and rg11. He is wondering if any of it will be useful in the present or future.  Which of these can still be used, and will be useful in the future?

Edited by Bombastinator
Derp

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The coax could be used for MoCA but if the walls are down might as well run Ethernet.

Old phoneline...it could be rebadged for short 100Mbit runs but again, may as well install Ethernet now.

Unless he's looking to run Cable TV to a room or a landline I don't see any other benefits to keeping it.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The coax could be used for MoCA but if the walls are down might as well run Ethernet.

Old phoneline...it could be rebadged for short 100Mbit runs but again, may as well install Ethernet now.

Unless he's looking to run Cable TV to a room or a landline I don't see any other benefits to keeping it.

He’s already got cat6 everywhere.  He’s only curious about the coax.  I told him rip it out or abandon it in place.  He wants to update it though.  I’m pretty sure it’s about video.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

He’s already got cat6 everywhere.  He’s only curious about the coax.  I told him rip it out or abandon it in place.  He wants to update it though.

If all he really needs is Internet and all the rooms have it now then I don't see a perk to keeping the Coax. Not unless he gets his Internet via Coax and wants to mount the modem in any variety of rooms but usually you want it in a centralized location.

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So I have a friend who has pulled all the Sheetrock off his interior walls and has a bunch of old coax from 1985.  He’s got rg59, rg6, and rg11. He is wondering if any of it will be useful in the present or future.  Which of these can still be used, and will be useful in the future?

RG6 is the current king. RG11 is generally not used in the home. But Coax can carry cable, internet and Moca signals. So it is useful. Also its useful in OTA TV as well. Your freind might want to invest in some Etherent at this point as well, the walls are open its a great oppertunity to get it in the walls now. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.