Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti Windforce

LinusTech

i would like to see a more graphs and variation of performance. 2nd thing I was wondering was did you guys talk back to Gigabyte about this or did you guys try with a different  card .

I feel that my 680 from gigabyte is a dud like this card :/ When I try to overclock it i usually get worse FPS in games. Im debating on selling it...

When will the prices of these high end video cards drop significantly? I have been wanting to upgrade my GTX 460 for some time now. However, I simply cannot justify spending $500+, let alone the $700+ this is retailing for. It's ridiculous.

It's very hard to predict, but it's not gonna happen without good reason. With the high demand for AMD cards for currency mining atm driving prices up I wouldn't expect a significant price drop any time soon.

If $500 is your budget, you could easily get a 780. For just over $300 a 770. In my opinion both a 780 and a 770 are fairly high end and will be a HUGE upgrade over a 460.

In my opinion $670+ for a 780ti is not ridiculous. If you want the absolute best video card on the market, you should expect to pay a premium.

i would like to see a more graphs and variation of performance. 2nd thing I was wondering was did you guys talk back to Gigabyte about this or did you guys try with a different  card .

Very early 780ti's in November for whatever reason had a very high asic quality in the high 80's which is when Linus got his reference card. Aftermarket cards that came in a few months later haven't been as great getting between a 60%-70% rating on average. I have my DCII Ti set at 1200mhz on the core @ 1.2v, and I could push it more but since I'm running it on air I like it just the way it is with it being so quiet and cool as was the same case with the Gigabyte card in the video.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

@JoeyDM @Flyguygamer It's actually quite easy to flash them to different bios, took me about an hour or so to flash both my 780's to hydrocopper bios, with 1.3v and 130% tdp slider.   But unless you're prepared to sit there and read every step I wouldn't do it, it'd be quite easy to mis-type one thing or miss one step and brick your nice toy.

I dont really want to go past even 103% anyways, due to college I wouldnt have money to pay for a new one if it died within the next 3 years, so im shooting for longevity lol

poor nvidia, no ocing like amd gets

One of my 780 ti's runs at 1300 MHz how's that for OCing, and say what you want but look at the graphs EVERYWHERE. Even OC'd to the max no 290x will beat this  "dud" (there might be a few lucky draws that can, like 2). Yes even at 4k. I have 3 290x's for various reasons, none of them being gaming. Although they are beasts. I've had good and bad from all of them, but from "my" experience "I" have had better luck with clocks and longevity with Nvidia. Which along with AMD are both Proper nouns for future reference.  :P

Flame on

Also if no one has noticed you can't get a 290x for less than $800 US anymore. So much for value card. More expensive, less performance. Hell yeah. Unless used for It's open CL of course where it is the master. Not that this thread has anything to do with that. I just need to amuse myself a little.

Interesting to note, I too received quite the dud when it comes to overclocking my GTX 780 Windforce OC (yes 780 not Ti) I purchased this card back in June and although its base performance is superb in itself I am thinking about sending in for a return from Gigabyte as the card has a 3 year warranty, as there is some coil whine as well. 

• CPU : i7-4770k | Motherboard : Asus Z87 Sabertooth | RAM : 16GB G.Skill 2133 | GPU : GTX 780 | Case : Rosewill Thor v2 | Storage : 256GB Samsung Pro, 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU : Corsair TX650 | Display(s) : 32" LED/27" LCD | Cooling : Corsair H100i | Keyboard : Logitech G510 | Mouse : Razer Naga

Linus,

I have very good reason to believe that this card is either a totally different model or really messed up. Heres why,

I had just brought a 780 ti just like that. EXACT SAME MODEL AND EVERYTHING but yet i have two 8 pin connectors on the card not a 6 pin and a 8 pin. This youtuber has two 8 pins on his like me.

I have the same card with the same 8x8 power adapter, your review and a few others I've seen had the 8x6 pin power adapter.

Either Gigabyte are sending out developer samples to reviewers or there were a batch of 8x6 pin cards, it could explain the crappy overclocks.

It's very hard to predict, but it's not gonna happen without good reason. With the high demand for AMD cards for currency mining atm driving prices up I wouldn't expect a significant price drop any time soon.

If $500 is your budget, you could easily get a 780. For just over $300 a 770. In my opinion both a 780 and a 770 are fairly high end and will be a HUGE upgrade over a 460.

In my opinion $670+ for a 780ti is not ridiculous. If you want the absolute best video card on the market, you should expect to pay a premium.

Haha! It would seem Nvidia has successfully brainwashed people into thinking they're getting maximum value for their money with the kind of prices they have set. I guess have we have the $999.99 GTX Titan to thank for that. Well done.

He is referring to the 106% power limit nvidia imposes on us.Keep in mind I personally prefer nvidia cards but they are voltage limited which limits overclocking.

Ah... custom BIOS etc etc.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

slick/luke spoke about the noise of the cards/coolers now im wondering wich 780TI is the most silenced one? or are the AMD 290x better? hmmm im wondering now..

The quietest card right now is the EVGA ACX 780 TI SC. It also has the lowest idle and load temps. The coolest card is the Palit, but it is also the loudest.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

• 2 weeks later...

Haha! It would seem Nvidia has successfully brainwashed people into thinking they're getting maximum value for their money with the kind of prices they have set. I guess have we have the $999.99 GTX Titan to thank for that. Well done.

I'm sorry that I am replying to this so late, I haven't been on these forums for quite a while, however the content of your comment has compelled me to reply.

For clarifications sake, I do not believe the 780ti at $700 represents 'maximum value for money' (nor indeed a 290x for a similar price), and I personally do not own nor have any intentions to purchase a 780ti. I simply believe that as the 780ti was at the time the most powerful video card available, a high price tag isn't particularly unreasonable.

I even suggested better value high end cards that were well within your budget and were still a huge upgrade on your 460, and yet I was greeted by a sarcastic and ignorant comment..... annoying.