Microsoft to patch NSA reported vulnerability

Bombastinator

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/microsoft-patch-tuesday-jan20

I first saw this reported on CNBC of all places.  According to that report, which I can’t seem to link, it was interesting because the NSA does not normally report vulnerabilities it finds.  It’s possible this is old news.

pasting the body copy from the CNBC article because it’s all I can link.  It’s apparently confirmed at least as to the subject by the tomsguide article.  I can’t speak to the accuracy of either myself.

Microsoft will patch Windows 10 after the NSA quietly told it about a major vulnerability

Microsoft will release a patch Tuesday for a significant flaw in the Windows operating system, according to intelligence officials and a report.

The National Security Agency told Microsoft about the flaw.

The cooperation is somewhat of a departure. In the past the NSA has kept some flaws secret to use them as part of the U.S. tech arsenal. 

The National Security Agency alerted Microsoft in recent weeks to a significant issue affecting its Windows 10 operating system, ubiquitous within corporations and among consumers, two senior federal cybersecurity officials told CNBC.

The flaw affected encryption of digital signatures used to authenticate content, including software or files. If exploited, the flaw could allow criminals to send malicious content with fake signatures that make it appear safe. The finding was reported earlier by the Washington Post.

It was unclear how long the NSA knew about the flaw before reporting it to Microsoft. The cooperation, however, is a departure from past interactions between the NSA and major software developers like Microsoft. In the past, the top security agency has kept some major vulnerabilities secret in order to use them as part of the U.S. tech arsenal.

Microsoft did not immediately respond to request for comment.

According to the Post, the NSA said in a Tuesday morning call with cybersecurity experts that Microsoft will report that it had not seen any exploitation of the flaw. The NSA is expected to announce its findings later on Tuesday.

Follow @CNBCtech on Twitter for the latest tech industry news.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I guess they were hit by the issue, and only reported it as it affected them?

Possibly.  It could also be they found someone else using it.

CNBC article said they find vulnerabilities but. Don’t report them normally.
 NSA is anti spy.  They’re tasked with keeping foreign powers from spying on the USA.  The CIA has extremely limited powers in the USA the NSA has extremely limited powers outside of it.  If they’re reporting something they don’t normally report it may be to stop another problem.  One that may have already occurred.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Possibly.  It could also be they found someone else using it.

CNBC article said they find vulnerabilities but. Don’t report them normally.
 NSA is anti spy.  They’re tasked with keeping foreign powers from spying on the USA.  The CIA has extremely limited powers in the USA the NSA has extremely limited powers outside of it.  If they’re reporting something they don’t normally report it may be to stop another problem.  One that may have already occurred.

considering the poor relations with Iran right now maybe they are doing this as a national security precaution too

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Great timing too, just as Win 7 support ends leaving every non-enterprise insrtallation out there open to this flaw. Anyone else see the "convenience" in this?

11 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Great timing too, just as Win 7 support ends leaving every non-enterprise insrtallation out there open to this flaw. Anyone else see the "convenience" in this?

The article said windows 7 and 8 aren't affected.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

if the NSA reported it rather than hide it and use it themselves it must be such a big problem that ordinary hackers could have figured it out, which is quite scary... 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Twilight said:

if the NSA reported it rather than hide it and use it themselves it must be such a big problem that ordinary hackers could have figured it out, which is quite scary... 

I wonder if they used it to their advantage before they reported it.

19 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

It’s unknown how long they had it.  Their job is to spy on spys.  Might have been useful.  Giving it to Microsoft basically shuts it down though.

21 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Also curious whether or not the "security patch" itself contains a backdoor for the NSA, seeing as they went out of their way to go public with it ("building trust with cyber-security researchers" is about as corny as it gets, when it's all talk and little action).

6 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

Also curious whether or not the "security patch" itself contains a backdoor for the NSA, seeing as they went out of their way to go public with it ("building trust with cyber-security researchers" is about as corny as it gets, when it's all talk and little action).

It would be interesting to know whether they provided a patch or just described the problem.

Well, good it got fixed very soon if it was rellay a sever vulnerability though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

The article said windows 7 and 8 aren't affected.

*cleans monitor*

Not the first time a speck of dust has made a . look like a ,

I'll go hide now

23 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I guess they were hit by the issue, and only reported it as it affected them?

Actually keeping easier to find exploits hidden would lower the security of the USA, remember the nsa is also there to protect the US from cyber attacks.

The really obscure exploits that are unlikely to be found is what they are after.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/01/cryptic-rumblings-ahead-of-first-2020-patch-tuesday/ (First to report on this)

According to sources, the vulnerability in question resides in a Windows component known as crypt32.dll, a Windows module that Microsoft says handles “certificate and cryptographic messaging functions in the CryptoAPI.” The Microsoft CryptoAPI provides services that enable developers to secure Windows-based applications using cryptography, and includes functionality for encrypting and decrypting data using digital certificates.

This component was introduced into Windows more than 20 years ago — back in Windows NT 4.0. Consequently, all versions of Windows are likely affected (including Windows XP, which is no longer being supported with patches from Microsoft).

Microsoft has not yet responded to requests for comment. However, KrebsOnSecurity has heard rumblings from several sources over the past 48 hours that this Patch Tuesday (tomorrow) will include a doozy of an update that will need to be addressed immediately by all organizations running Windows.

The quote above are from the article posted. And it seems it has to do with crpt32.dll which is on all versions of windows. 

On 1/15/2020 at 2:43 PM, lewdicrous said:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 1/16/2020 at 6:09 AM, AlexOak said:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/01/cryptic-rumblings-ahead-of-first-2020-patch-tuesday/ (First to report on this)

The quote above are from the article posted. And it seems it has to do with crpt32.dll which is on all versions of windows. 

The article specifically says it doesn't effect windows 7 or 8.   I would assume the issue is a combination of some other part of windows 10 and crpt32.dll.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.