Tempered glass screw?

Msuni
Go to solution Solved by Msuni,

I've managed to use a screw from a different case that i had lying around from an old pc which works fine. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. :)

So i have a Phantek Enthoo Pro M case and have lost one of the screws that mounts the side tempered glass pannel. Where's the best place to get another. I have emailed Phantek and its a £6 charge. Just wondered if there was an alternative, thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Msuni said:

I have emailed Phantek and its a £6 charge.

For a single screw, or  a set of 4?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

If you don’t care what the head looks like you could take out a similar screw and measure it.  If you do it gets more complicated.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I would probably just pay the sick squid, far easier in my experience 

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

52 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

For a single screw, or  a set of 4?

I'm not sure how many actually, I only need the one but i guess a few spare would be fine. Either way, i don't really feel like paying £6 just for four screws.

11 minutes ago, Msuni said:

I'm not sure how many actually, I only need the one but i guess a few spare would be fine. Either way, i don't really feel like paying £6 just for four screws.

They should be 6/32" thraded scrwws. You can get generic replacement thumb screws for $5 USD on amazon (I'd assume 5 euro as well) but thye wont match so you'd have to change them all. 

For $8 you can get much nicer ones which would probably be better than generic thumb screws for holding on glass, but they're about the same price if not more than what Phanteks is charging. 

https://www.amazon.com/Favordrory-Anodized-Aluminum-Thumbscrews-Computer/dp/B07MYHMB4X/ref=pd_sbs_147_t_2/147-2294331-0150065?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07MYHMB4X&pd_rd_r=eec9a389-8cb1-4ec1-8f5f-a5510eacc033&pd_rd_w=X4Pgc&pd_rd_wg=Jwd8V&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=26QPVVTJHKHPSMF7FYNN&psc=1&refRID=26QPVVTJHKHPSMF7FYNN

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

If 6/32 is diameter and thread pitch all there is left is length.  6/32 is not a metric measurement so it’s real possible the local hardware store won’t have anything that fits.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

They should be 6/32" thraded scrwws. You can get generic replacement thumb screws for $5 USD on amazon (I'd assume 5 euro as well) but thye wont match so you'd have to change them all. 

For $8 you can get much nicer ones which would probably be better than generic thumb screws for holding on glass, but they're about the same price if not more than what Phanteks is charging. 

https://www.amazon.com/Favordrory-Anodized-Aluminum-Thumbscrews-Computer/dp/B07MYHMB4X/ref=pd_sbs_147_t_2/147-2294331-0150065?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07MYHMB4X&pd_rd_r=eec9a389-8cb1-4ec1-8f5f-a5510eacc033&pd_rd_w=X4Pgc&pd_rd_wg=Jwd8V&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=26QPVVTJHKHPSMF7FYNN&psc=1&refRID=26QPVVTJHKHPSMF7FYNN

They would be better but only problem is that Phanteks using rubber pads on them as well to protect glass. 

C547C6BF-27FE-4C2A-9D15-F313AB6E7D0E.jpeg

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

1 minute ago, Whiro said:

They would be better but only problem is that Phanteks using rubber pads on them as well to protect glass. 

C547C6BF-27FE-4C2A-9D15-F313AB6E7D0E.jpeg

Another option for that one is get some rubber washers.  They do help with avoiding glass cracking.  Might or might not be cheaper in the long run to buy them separately.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Another option for that one is get some rubber washers.  They do help with avoiding glass cracking.  Might or might not be cheaper in the long run to buy them separately.

Yup that sounds like really good idea. 

5 hours ago, Msuni said:

Find some cheap thumb screws and rubber washers on ebay and you sorted

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

I've managed to use a screw from a different case that i had lying around from an old pc which works fine. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. :)

On 1/14/2020 at 6:08 PM, TVwazhere said:

Another question, if you'd be so kind to answer. I'm going to remove my optical drive as well (which came with my pc) so i dont have the little panel that fills the gap after it has been removed. Are they a universal panel that will fit? Or will i have to reach out to the cases manufacturer again?

2 hours ago, Msuni said:

Another question, if you'd be so kind to answer. I'm going to remove my optical drive as well (which came with my pc) so i dont have the little panel that fills the gap after it has been removed. Are they a universal panel that will fit? Or will i have to reach out to the cases manufacturer again?

Theoretically any 5.25" bay cover should fit, but some use different methods of retention. My Thermaltake Level 10 GT as as example is retained by clips that are accessible from the outside of the case, something that's not the case with the Enthoo Pro M. Fractal design also uses a clip embedded in the 5.25" bay for it's Define R6 covers. So you will most likely need an Enthoo series 5.25" bay cover if you want that OEM look. Phanteks doesnt have one listed for sale in their spare parts but they might still be able to send you one. The alternative is to ask on places like LTT Classifieds or r/hardwareswap if anyone has an Enthoo Pro 5.25" bay cover that they're not using. 

I had this same problem when I unboxed my Phanteks P350x and noticed a missing thumbscrew like that one. I was mad at first, but then I found it rolling around in the psu compartment for some reason.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Theoretically any 5.25" bay cover should fit, but some use different methods of retention. My Thermaltake Level 10 GT as as example is retained by clips that are accessible from the outside of the case, something that's not the case with the Enthoo Pro M. Fractal design also uses a clip embedded in the 5.25" bay for it's Define R6 covers. So you will most likely need an Enthoo series 5.25" bay cover if you want that OEM look. Phanteks doesnt have one listed for sale in their spare parts but they might still be able to send you one. The alternative is to ask on places like LTT Classifieds or r/hardwareswap if anyone has an Enthoo Pro 5.25" bay cover that they're not using. 

Thanks a lot for the information, I think I'll just contact Phantek and see if they can send me one. Appreciate it! :)

• 8 months later...

https://www.mnpctech.com/products/tg-tempered-glass-pc-side-panel-screws-m4-thread?variant=31390507991106

This is far better than anything anyone else has posted that I've seen anywhere. 

This worked well I have the v71 tempered glass rgb plus edition case so I bought these as replacements to the side that everyone looks at as my build is white blue and purple. 

13 hours ago, Pneuma said:

https://www.mnpctech.com/products/tg-tempered-glass-pc-side-panel-screws-m4-thread?variant=31390507991106

This is far better than anything anyone else has posted that I've seen anywhere. 

This worked well I have the v71 tempered glass rgb plus edition case so I bought these as replacements to the side that everyone looks at as my build is white blue and purple. 

It's also a different threading than what anyone else has suggested.  

So, it may or may not work.

(And 'far better' is very matter of opinion.  And if Phanteks is asking for 6 Pounds for a set of four?  They're also significantly cheaper.)

• 2 years later...

I've been looking on and off for days.  Not for the part but for a place that will ship that isn't China cause I don't want to wait for 3-4 weeks.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/screws/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294870494967

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Computer-Graphics-M3-5x6mm-Knurled/dp/B01MRJX8YO

Neoprene washer/Rubber washer

Most places want to sell a "lot" of these, no pun intended, 100+

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/60747227?srsltid=AR57-fCRQpdmauFcssoLC9dDtKMGINLvBSsWKmWCVzNOz13fkdPW01gVuvQ

I was able to find these and some rubber washers at my local ACE Hardware but the head diameter and height aren't ideal.

https://www.amazon.com/YATENG-Thumbscrews-Personality-Modification-beautification/dp/B07PFL6VXC/ref=sr_1_20?crid=18HKNYCICFHT7&keywords=6-32+thumb+screw+black+oxide+screw&qid=1686199616&s=industrial&sprefix=6-32+thumb+screw+black+oxide+screw%2Cindustrial%2C190&sr=1-20

Ended up ordering the Uxcell screws from a US seller on Ebay 10x for $13 and a 3-5 day ship time.

I'm posting here because this is the only blog post that deals with finding these type of screws and I'm forever buying disused equipment to refurbish and resell.  I hope that the 6mm depth will be ok.  The standoffs on the P400 come up into the glass.  Be careful of things like collared screws which can cause uneven pressure and spend the money on some soft washers 1/16 thk is common but 1/32 thk is what Phanteks uses. 3.5-.06 is about 6-32.  I use a caliper to measure thread and body dimensions but when in doubt go to your local hardware store and see what fasteners fit.  ACE is the best for specialty screws IMO.

3 years late to the party but I tried to bring the goods.