i7-8700k ( cooled with an AIO)

32gb tridentz 3200mhz cl16

Asus Strix Z370-E

Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ OC

PSU Seasonic Prime 80+ Titanium 750W

bequiet! Dark Base 700

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2

Some Samsung Qled 1080p 144hz display VA panel

So here's my problem, that I also had on my Vega 64 Asus Strix OC card that I just removed.

In some games, let's say League of Legends for example. I get like 180 FPS and my GPU variates between 12-22% usage. I know I technically have only 144hz and that shouldnt be an issue but I'm sure sometimes it drops under 144, sometimes over 200...

It's really annoying considering that in between switching the GPU I stayed on the intel HD graphics integrated on my 8700k and I had well over 120-140 fps at most times.

I tried searching the web but still no solution so far.

It's really annoying that it's the second card that has this issue, With my RX 380 and my RX 480 both From Asus Strix OC I didn't have that issue ( I had others but that's a different story). Maybe some of you have an AMD card and can help me with some info on how to fix this. I guess it's an AMD thing.

P.S. Already tried the Power options in windows ( including the Link state power management of the PCI express, that was actually already off)

You are trowing massive hardware at an old ugly non demanding game...the ''bottleneck'' is very likely software related...it's something to do with the game itself and optimization...you're still getting great numbers here.

And before you think about it...NO do not trow a 9900K with a RTX 2080ti at your problem, cause it will not solve anything.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

debloat your windoze as much as possible. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

17 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

And before you think about it...NO do not trow a 9900K with a RTX 2080ti at your problem, cause it will not solve anything.

That's hilarious, but no I won't, I can't afford it ?

I thought of that, you might be right, only that with the RX 380 and RX 480 I didn;t have this problem. and yeah in other games it's ok. maybe I should stop playing s**t games but... I just can't.

8 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

debloat your windoze as much as possible. 

I'm pretty clean with my windows, I avoid installing things as much as possible and clean it regularly I highly doubt it's that. Especially since in other games it runs just fine..

I just wondered if I could hear from someone that had this same issue and fixed it, since from my research I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Just finished a game now with overlay from AMD software and GPU ran at 12% usage most of the time spiking to 20 or a bit more than 20 at times but that's it

21 minutes ago, tyem said:

Especially since in other games it runs just fine..

LOL is CPU bound, you can try forcing some insane AA thru Radeon Settings to wake up the card. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 3:56 PM, i_build_nanosuits said:

You are trowing massive hardware at an old ugly non demanding game...the ''bottleneck'' is very likely software related...it's something to do with the game itself and optimization...you're still getting great numbers here.

Update, sorry to disturb you again

In Destiny 2 I get around 120 fps and the card is maxing out about 65% usage.... This is really annoying.

The card can obviously get 144 fps stable for my 144hz monitor but it just wont crank up the usage at 100%. Turns out it was not only on the not demanding games.

On 1/14/2020 at 3:35 PM, tyem said:

i7-8700k ( cooled with an AIO)

32gb tridentz 3200mhz cl16

Asus Strix Z370-E

Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ OC

PSU Seasonic Prime 80+ Titanium 750W

bequiet! Dark Base 700

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2

Some Samsung Qled 1080p 144hz display VA panel

So here's my problem, that I also had on my Vega 64 Asus Strix OC card that I just removed.

In some games, let's say League of Legends for example. I get like 180 FPS and my GPU variates between 12-22% usage. I know I technically have only 144hz and that shouldnt be an issue but I'm sure sometimes it drops under 144, sometimes over 200...

It's really annoying considering that in between switching the GPU I stayed on the intel HD graphics integrated on my 8700k and I had well over 120-140 fps at most times.

I tried searching the web but still no solution so far.

It's really annoying that it's the second card that has this issue, With my RX 380 and my RX 480 both From Asus Strix OC I didn't have that issue ( I had others but that's a different story). Maybe some of you have an AMD card and can help me with some info on how to fix this. I guess it's an AMD thing.

P.S. Already tried the Power options in windows ( including the Link state power management of the PCI express, that was actually already off)

Leage of Legends is not a very demanding game so it isn't made to take full advantage of your GPU, as that would be stupid because if it did fully use your GPU you would get like 1500 FPS, which nobody needs.

1 hour ago, tyem said:

Update, sorry to disturb you again

In Destiny 2 I get around 120 fps and the card is maxing out about 65% usage.... This is really annoying.

The card can obviously get 144 fps stable for my 144hz monitor but it just wont crank up the usage at 100%. Turns out it was not only on the not demanding games.

DDU the drivers and reinstall. I get about 130fps with my 5700xt

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

The "bottleneck" you're seeing there is most likely very normal. Since those games are optimized for high fps usually the cpu puts out less fps than your gpu could do and that results in gpu usages way below 100% but still high fps. 

Alltho 180 seems a little low for the 5700xt. But then theres also amd drivers and league just beeing a shitty programmed game after all so I'd say its quite normal. 

You can still try reinstalling drivers or ddu them 

The "bottleneck" is not normal at all. You people have no idea what you're typing about. The 5700 XT has issues even in very demanding games where it should be maxed at 99% at all times.

@tyem I've tried everything, believe me, but I'm still having issues in games. Everywhere I look, there are "experts" trying to tell me that I don't need high FPS. Well, I do. I didn't buy this card to experience worse performance than with my previous RX 580. Some people said "do this and that because that fixed my performance" but nothing worked for me. I guess we'll just have to wait for AMD to fix their shit. And yes, I do regret not buying an Nvidia card.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

8 hours ago, rares495 said:

The "bottleneck" is not normal at all. You people have no idea what you're typing about. The 5700 XT has issues even in very demanding games where it should be maxed at 99% at all times.

Since OP only mention LoL, the bottleneck is totally normal. Game is based on DX9 and it only use 2 cores. You're still cpu bound even at 4K res. 

16 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Do you have vsync and triple buffering on ? 

Vsync always off even from Radeon software

16 hours ago, miagisan said:

DDU the drivers and reinstall. I get about 130fps with my 5700xt

But is it at 97%+ usage all the time?

12 hours ago, rares495 said:

@tyem I've tried everything, believe me, but I'm still having issues in games. Everywhere I look, there are "experts" trying to tell me that I don't need high FPS. Well, I do. I didn't buy this card to experience worse performance than with my previous RX 580. Some people said "do this and that because that fixed my performance" but nothing worked for me. I guess we'll just have to wait for AMD to fix their shit. And yes, I do regret not buying an Nvidia card.

I feel you.

With RX 380 and RX 480 I didnt have this issue, I sometimes even got more than 300 fps in League.. 

With the Vega 64 and the 5700XT I have this issue where it just won't crank up to 100%.

4 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Since OP only mention LoL, the bottleneck is totally normal. Game is based on DX9 and it only use 2 cores. You're still cpu bound even at 4K res. 

How do you explain that with my RX380 and RX480 I got more than 300 fps at times and it was around 250, card was working at 100% in the same game with the same CPU.

Also the card sits at 50-60% even in Destiny 2 or GTA 5 or other games. even if it doesnt even hit the targeted 144fps.

It's not normal to have low gpu usage AND LOW FPS. Why would that be normal? Try to think for a second.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

6 hours ago, tyem said:

How do you explain that with my RX380 and RX480 I got more than 300 fps at times and it was around 250, card was working at 100% in the same game with the same CPU.

Also the card sits at 50-60% even in Destiny 2 or GTA 5 or other games. even if it doesnt even hit the targeted 144fps.

Different game patches, different windows security updates, heck even GPU driver update can affect your CPU drawcalls performance. 

Not sure about Destiny 2 because i never play it but GTAV can become CPU bound when you reached >120fps. I gained nice min FPS in GTAV when i overclocked and tightened my system RAM timing. 

5 hours ago, rares495 said:

It's not normal to have low gpu usage AND LOW FPS. Why would that be normal? Try to think for a second.

But it is normal to have low GPU usage in LoL because that game is super old, it use old inefficient graphic API and it only capable to utilize 2 CPU cores.
OP mentioned he got between slightly below 144fps to over 200fps, that is high fps range not low.

<200fps with 2080@1440p

Similar FPS @4K between 1060/1070/1080. Higher FPS than above video at 1440p with 2080.

Explain to me what happened? ?

6 hours ago, tyem said:

But is it at 97%+ usage all the time?

If you have vsync off, yes, it will try to push out as many frames as possible. During transition screens, even though ita not processing much, it will still hit full gpu utisization (while pumping out 300+ fps).  

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Different game patches, different windows security updates, heck even GPU driver update can affect your CPU drawcalls performance. 

Not sure about Destiny 2 because i never play it but GTAV can become CPU bound when you reached >120fps. I gained nice min FPS in GTAV when i overclocked and tightened my system RAM timing. 

But it is normal to have low GPU usage in LoL because that game is super old, it use old inefficient graphic API and it only capable to utilize 2 CPU cores.
OP mentioned he got between slightly below 144fps to over 200fps, that is high fps range not low.

<200fps with 2080@1440p

Similar FPS @4K between 1060/1070/1080. Higher FPS than above video at 1440p with 2080.

Explain to me what happened? ?

Stop bullshitting. Explain how his 5700 XT is getting lower fps than an RX 480. Same thing that I'm dealing with. Explain the low GPU usage in GTA V. I get that as well and my PC is very different than his. Just explain these, please. The rest is just blah blah blah.

By the way, it's usually better to just STFU when you have no clue what you're talking about. We actually own these cards and are experiencing real issues that are not related to anything other than the cards themselves. So stop typing nonsense.

5 hours ago, rares495 said:

Stop bullshitting. Explain how his 5700 XT is getting lower fps than an RX 480. Same thing that I'm dealing with. Explain the low GPU usage in GTA V. I get that as well and my PC is very different than his. Just explain these, please. The rest is just blah blah blah.

By the way, it's usually better to just STFU when you have no clue what you're talking about. We actually own these cards and are experiencing real issues that are not related to anything other than the cards themselves. So stop typing nonsense.

If you dont want any bullshitting and some serious advice then contact amd themselves, ask for a replacement or refund or something we just stated some facts and what options you have. if your unit for some reason is malfunctioning then were not able to help you. 

also just because some folks have problems with a card doesnt mean AMD sucks or the card sucks ^^ look around this forum theres threads about almost every f+cking card having problems sometimes. 

Oh and stay friendly next time.

6 hours ago, rares495 said:

Stop bullshitting and explain how a very miniscule percentage of people are having that issue.

Have you contacted AMD or the Manufacturer?

You are within a warranty period, I see no reason why you havent done so yet? I actually own a 5700xt as well, outside of enhanced sync not working right with certain games, I have no issues. Sadly you are on the fringe, but if its an actual hardware issue, the company will exchange your part.

— Grumpy old man

8 hours ago, rares495 said:

What bullshit? I already explained LoL game engine limitation. Modern GPUs have many power states, it will automatically drop to lower power state when it's not being utilize. 5700 XT being much more powerful than RX480 will definitely drop to lower power state in LoL which already not GPU intensive at all.

Also 5700XT architecture is different than RX480, it focus more on modern graphic APIs like Vulkan/DX12. DX9 is a dying if not half buried, no point for AMD to focus their new hardware for such old and inefficient API. Nvidia Turing also performed worst on older graphic API/ or games compare to Pascal.

What is your FPS in GTA:V? What is your graphic exact settings and what is your PC spec?

You mean the video i posted is bullshit? Find me a video of LoL with midrange GPU that utilized at least 90% of the GPU power.