Scientists use stem cells from frogs to build first living robots

tridy

article: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/13/scientists-use-stem-cells-from-frogs-to-build-first-living-robots

Researchers in the US have created the first living machines by assembling cells from African clawed frogs into tiny robots that move around under their own steam.

Creating the life form that did not exist on Earth before. I think there was a reason that there was a long time for evolution and that brought us.

The only reason why this could have existed, imo, is that it could use other sources of energy other than electricity. Like an army of small robots that go inside a human and (hopefully just) cleans it from the consequences of the bad habits or eventually diseases, and could use biological substances as the fuel. Then there is the military argument that the will use it for evil purposes. And vegetarians who will have an argument here as well.

It's a good thing this is a bout robots, otherwise I'd have to make a nuisance post about it not being tech news.  

Also, I have to get a jump on the obligatory frog joke.  I hope others hop on the bandwagon. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 1/14/2020 at 6:05 AM, Giffany said:

geez this is like some fallout 4 institute synth level of insanity here. this could be interesting in the future.

Was about to say.
There are certainly a lot of moral questions as this becomes more developed, and would certainly call into question on what defines life scientifically.

2 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

Was about to say.
There are certainly a lot of moral questions as this becomes more developed, and would certainly call into question on what defines life scientifically.

for me i dont see a problem with it though. long as its not self aware in anyway its nearly no different than a usual machine from metal and wires and code eheh. even article has mentioned they wouldnt be instead of just metal and plastics its just an organic version. long as they are not actual hurting the life the cells are from as well.

2 minutes ago, Giffany said:

for me i dont see a problem with it though. long as its not self aware in anyway its nearly no different than a usual machine from metal and wires and code eheh. even article has mentioned they wouldnt be instead of just metal and plastics its just an organic version. long as they are not actual hurting the life the cells are from as well.

As I said, when it gets more developed
When it starts getting to be more complicated, and resembling something that is alive, which I'm sure there will be someday in order to create "biodegradable disposable robots" for whatever kinda task, like algae control without using chemicals that could harm fish and other wildlife.

Not saying its a good thing or bad thing, but it is something that will come up someday.

4 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

As I said, when it gets more developed
When it starts getting to be more complicated, and resembling something that is alive, which I'm sure there will be someday in order to create "biodegradable disposable robots" for whatever kinda task, like algae control without using chemicals that could harm fish and other wildlife.

Not saying its a good thing or bad thing, but it is something that will come up someday.

yeah true. i never said it was good or bad either its a neutral point for me over all. but would be interesting plus depending on the use (as in if used in chemical sources then no) the disposable thing could work as a fertilizer as a final end product.

not really tech news seeing as cells do this anyway smh

9 hours ago, WereCat said:

So will we need to vaccinate robots now as well? 

Don't watch A. I. C. O. on Netflix. ;)

Ah shit. 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

Me remembering Eric Cartmam using Stem cells to create another Shakey's Pizza

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:23 AM, tridy said:

article: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/13/scientists-use-stem-cells-from-frogs-to-build-first-living-robots

Creating the life form that did not exist on Earth before. I think there was a reason that there was a long time for evolution and that brought us.

The only reason why this could have existed, imo, is that it could use other sources of energy other than electricity. Like an army of small robots that go inside a human and (hopefully just) cleans it from the consequences of the bad habits or eventually diseases, and could use biological substances as the fuel. Then there is the military argument that the will use it for evil purposes. And vegetarians who will have an argument here as well.

aw hell yeah, we gettin closer to terminator