My computer is running games in poor quality even though I just upgraded.

TUGIBB

I have:

msi ventus 2070 super

2700x 

600psu

16gb g.skill aegis ddr4 3000 mhz

asus b450m a csm

Even with this, I get 46 fps average on AC odyssey on a 900p 60hz monitor. Yes you heard me straight, 46 fps on that!

please help. I am a clown when it comes to pc knowledge, but building this was pretty easy. It is not overheating btw. It is using all of gpu, but it does only use 40% cpu. Idk honestly.

13 minutes ago, TUGIBB said:

I have:

msi ventus 2070 super

2700x 

600psu

16gb g.skill aegis ddr4 3000 mhz

asus b450m a csm

Even with this, I get 46 fps average on AC odyssey on a 900p 60hz monitor. Yes you heard me straight, 46 fps on that!

What kind of settings are you using that it's maxing a 2070 at 900p and only getting you 46fps.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1 hour ago, Samfisher said:

What kind of settings are you using that it's maxing a 2070 at 900p and only getting you 46fps.

I just use max settings if that is what you mean

2 minutes ago, TUGIBB said:

I just use max settings if that is what you mean

That's probably why.  Odyssey is a pretty demanding game.  Not sure if the game has settings similar to "Render target, render resolution etc" and that renders the game at a higher resolution and downscales the result for better graphics.  That's an instant FPS killer.

Just now, Samfisher said:

That's probably why.  Odyssey is a pretty demanding game.  Not sure if the game has settings similar to "Render target, render resolution etc" and that renders the game at a higher resolution and downscales the result for better graphics.  That's an instant FPS killer.

So you are telling me that it is not my hardware, but purely the game rendering at a higher resolution. If this is the case, is the only way that I will play at a better fps to just lower the graphics settings.

Just now, TUGIBB said:

So you are telling me that it is not my hardware, but purely the game rendering at a higher resolution. If this is the case, is the only way that I will play at a better fps to just lower the graphics settings.

Yes.  As you mentioned your GPU is being maxed out, which means your graphics settings are set pretty high, which in turn means lower FPS.

Yes.  As you mentioned your GPU is being maxed out, which means your graphics settings are set pretty high, which in turn means lower FPS.

This makes a lot of sense. I have been wondering all day why this has been happening, but your explaination is perfect if correct(probably is). Thank you.

4 minutes ago, TUGIBB said:

This makes a lot of sense. I have been wondering all day why this has been happening, but your explaination is perfect if correct(probably is). Thank you.

Just did some quick Googling, and you can try turning down Volumetric Clouds, which could boost your FPS by about 20%+.  Depth of Field also causes some performance drops, as does Ambient Occlusion.  You don't have to outright turn them off, just lower them a bit and test again.

Edited by Samfisher

Just did some quick Googling, and you can try turning down Volumetric Clouds, which could boost your FPS by about 20%+

Thanks for going through the effort my man. I really appreciate it.?

4 minutes ago, TUGIBB said:

Technically speaking, 2700x can be a bit bottleneck your pc. 

Just now, TUGIBB said:

Thanks for going through the effort my man. I really appreciate it.?

I've updated the post a little to add more info I found.  I just needed to find screenshots of what graphics settings are available in the game :P

Just now, soluuloi said:

Technically 2700x can be a bit bottleneck your pc. 

Since there is no such thing as no bottleneck....  Anything and everything can be a bottleneck no matter how powerful your PC is even if you spend a million dollars on it.  The only way there is no bottleneck is if performance automatically increases to an infinite value forever.

2 minutes ago, soluuloi said:

Technically speaking, 2700x can be a bit bottleneck your pc. 

I doubt it, it barely gets to 40% usage. EDIT: What Sam said above is more valid.

3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Since there is no such thing as no bottleneck....  Anything and everything can be a bottleneck no matter how powerful your PC is even if you spend a million dollars on it.  The only way there is no bottleneck is if performance automatically increases to an infinite value forever.

This is completely unrelated to the above, but my ram was clocked to 2133 from factory settings and I wanted to get the 3000 mhz as advertised, and I was wondering if this would cause any hiccups if all I did was use xmp/docp to boost it to adverstised mhz.

34 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Thanks for explaining this every single time someone mentions bottleneck, but just gonna add that its almost impossible to have a colloquial error over text, but you've somehow managed. at 900-1080p in most games, the 2700x will not allow the 2070 to run at 100% because it can't keep up. We all know thats what he meant. I hope..

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

42 minutes ago, TUGIBB said:

This is completely unrelated to the above, but my ram was clocked to 2133 from factory settings and I wanted to get the 3000 mhz as advertised, and I was wondering if this would cause any hiccups if all I did was use xmp/docp to boost it to adverstised mhz.

XMP/DOCP should be applied if you have RAM that can take advantage of it, and should boost your performance by a decent margin too.

-> Moved to PC Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Sometimes it's a good idea if you have a spare drive to test if games run better on fresh install of Windows.

I edit my posts more often than not