The easiest way to switch two laptops

denco1

Hi,

I'm about to move to a new flat and I finally decided to do some decent workbench. Now, I'll be using a laptop in a docking station, with two monitors, mouse, keyboard and audio connected (at least those).

From time to time, I'll be working from home. Because of the company policy, I need to use my company's laptop. My personal laptop and company's laptop are completely different.

To the question: What would be the easiest way to switch my personal laptop with the company's laptop, so I can still use my monitors and all the peripherals without disconnecting too many cables? I was thinking connecting all of my USB devices to a USB hub and routing just one cable. That still leaves me with two monitor cables. Also, this forces me to keep my cables little more loose and that breaks my idea of cable management.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Will this be a thing for you? https://symless.com/synergy
Control mouse and keyboard of computer from another computer. (Do need to install software tho.)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Hmm, interesting, I have not thought about software solution. So, if I understand correctly - I would just connect my company's laptop to my network, then run Synergy on both? Would I be able to have my company's laptop screen on both of my monitors? (I will find more time to look into this in the evening)

Few slight issues:

- I would need to check my company's policy, whether they allow me to install such software

- I would probably need a business licence, which would probably need my company involvement and that just raises questions like 'What do you need that' and such

- For now, the laptops would be on WiFi, so I'm afraid, that it would not be not so smooth (it's not slow WiFi, but still... it's WiFi)

- I really just need to use company laptop at that moment, So I guess I would be not taking full advantage of Synergy

9 hours ago, denco1 said:

Hmm, interesting, I have not thought about software solution. So, if I understand correctly - I would just connect my company's laptop to my network, then run Synergy on both? Would I be able to have my company's laptop screen on both of my monitors? (I will find more time to look into this in the evening)

Few slight issues:

- I would need to check my company's policy, whether they allow me to install such software

- I would probably need a business licence, which would probably need my company involvement and that just raises questions like 'What do you need that' and such

- For now, the laptops would be on WiFi, so I'm afraid, that it would not be not so smooth (it's not slow WiFi, but still... it's WiFi)

- I really just need to use company laptop at that moment, So I guess I would be not taking full advantage of Synergy

Its more like adding the notebook as an extra screen and you just move your mouse to it and you can use the mnouse and keyboard.
If you actually want to connect more monitors to it, you might need a hardware solution indeed.
But im not sure if there are KVM's with multi-monitor support.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Yeah, I was thinking more about HW solution. Worst thing is that my personal laptop is little bit older and does not have USB C. I guess that would be much easier to solve.

Anyone knows about KVM switch or something?