Security updates for Windows 7 ostensibly end tomorrow, but also officially continue until 2023

Delicieuxz
On 1/14/2020 at 1:44 AM, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

And... this is news that no reasonable person should care about.

It is loony enough to keep Windows 7 in the consumer space back in 2016. Using it today in 2020, even in industrial settings, is without any good reason, period and end of story.

Im using windows 7 and only now im going to move to nsashitware 10 because im forced to use it for media programs, what can one do.

1 hour ago, Luna.exe said:

sounds like windows 10 XD slow bloated designed to steal your info and clunky cant wait for 10 to lose support but yet again something worse will come out 

XPx64 was Windows Server 2003 with the XP shell on it. It was slow because it was a server OS being used as a desktop OS. And the 64 bit part was kinda shit implemented. 

Microsoft says Windows 10 will be a rolling release. Meaning they will discontinue support for older versions as new versions were released. But Windows 10 won’t ever die. Unfortunately. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

47 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

XPx64 was Windows Server 2003 with the XP shell on it. It was slow because it was a server OS being used as a desktop OS. And the 64 bit part was kinda shit implemented. 

Microsoft says Windows 10 will be a rolling release. Meaning they will discontinue support for older versions as new versions were released. But Windows 10 won’t ever die. Unfortunately. 

thats depressing 

2 hours ago, Luna.exe said:

thats depressing 

That’s why I gave up on Windows. Because I don’t seem them improving it in the future. 

i wish they would destoy 10 and just add driver support form 10 on 7 and we will be set lmao

Lotta hate for a decent OS.  Turn off tracking and it's fine.

1 hour ago, Quinnell said:

The tracking isnt the issue. Quality of the updates are. Every creators update its always fun to read all the issues people are having. If your on older hardware, go fuck your self becuase your at Microsofts mercy and their piss poor quality. Windows 10 never ran on my Ivy Bridge setup right, it had bugs galore. When 1903 refused to work with the intergrated NIC I said fuck this. But the fact is a Ivy Bridge setup is still a valid setup even in 2020, It could do all the games I wanted to play and then some. It was just starting to seem a bit slow, but still very usable. Now my Ivy Bridge setup has Linux on it and does transcoding for Plex and does a great job of it. Guess what? The Intergrated NIC works just fine in Linux...... Something Windows 10 couldnt seem to accomplish. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The tracking isnt the issue. Quality of the updates are. Every creators update its always fun to read all the issues people are having. If your on older hardware, go fuck your self becuase your at Microsofts mercy and their piss poor quality. Windows 10 never ran on my Ivy Bridge setup right, it had bugs galore. When 1903 refused to work with the intergrated NIC I said fuck this. But the fact is a Ivy Bridge setup is still a valid setup even in 2020, It could do all the games I wanted to play and then some. It was just starting to seem a bit slow, but still very usable. Now my Ivy Bridge setup has Linux on it and does transcoding for Plex and does a great job of it. Guess what? The Intergrated NIC works just fine in Linux...... Something Windows 10 couldnt seem to accomplish. 

What NIC is it? My R4BE + 4930K (Ivy Bridge-E) works fine with Intel 82579V NIC. Only issue I had NIC wise was getting super old dual port 10Gb card working, Emulex or QLogic forget which, but the same was true for ESXi as well. Some stuff just isn't well supported.

Just now, leadeater said:

What NIC is it?

Its intergrated on the MSI motherboard. The MSI drivers didnt work quite right. Intel no longer has a driver listed. The Microsoft ones didnt work either, big shocker there. At first the NIC would not reconnect when the computer was woke up from Sleep. Then I tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver and it just wouldnt work period. So I gave Microsoft the big FUCK YOU. This is after one of their shitty updates took out my moms computer, luckly I was able to recover that one. I just took it as Microsoft doesnt care about people runnning older hardware, but like I said, Ubuntu works great on both my older machine thats a Plex server and my brand new daily driver. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Its intergrated on the MSI motherboard. The MSI drivers didnt work quite right. Intel no longer has a driver listed.

Yea the Intel 82579V is the integrated NIC on mine but it does actually have Windows 10 drivers. I guess being Ivy-E which got released after Ivy it has newer chips on that platform.

10 hours ago, Quinnell said:

Problem is you cant, even if you do everything it still sends data back:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qwmg0i9njqvuin/Screenshot from 2020-01-16 18-54-17.png?dl=0

And this is why i still call it a spyware, because in fact it is.

On 1/16/2020 at 10:57 AM, Quinnell said:

You might be waiting a while.  Microsoft has stated Windows 10 is the last version of Windows.  It's supposed to be perpetually developed.

On 1/16/2020 at 12:19 PM, Donut417 said:

While yes, Microsoft did claim that Windows 10 will be the last ever OS (Mac OS X style), frankly, I don't believe them. Eventually they'll put out a new OS, under a new branding (Windows 11, Windows Next, whatever their PR department comes up with).

It might be 10 years from now, but I'm calling it - it'll happen eventually. Probably when they figure that they can't get away from the anti-Windows 10 rhetoric that's ruining their reputation.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Probably when they figure that they can't get away from the anti-Windows 10 rhetoric that's ruining their reputation.

Is there anything left to ruin? :D BTW if their new creation does the same data stealing then they will be at the same spot as they were with 10.

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Is there anything left to ruin? :D

From people like you, who seem to have a borderline irrational hatred of Microsoft? No.

But for the rest of us, while Windows 10 definitely isn't perfect (and believe me, there's plenty that does annoy me), it's largely a solid piece of software. There are major areas they could improve, for sure - no question. And hopefully they go down that route.

But even if Windows 10 was perfectly "fixed", there are plenty of people who would still call it shit simply because Microsoft made it, and as far as they're concerned "10 is garbage".

Just now, jagdtigger said:

BTW if their new creation does the same data stealing then they will be at the same spot as they were with 10.

I have no words (plus, most people don't give a shit about the Windows 10 telemetry, and that's not why they dislike it).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

most people don't give a shit about the Windows 10 telemetry

They just apply otrich policy to anything they dont want to think about but that doesnt mean its alright to do it.

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

irrational hatred of Microsoft

How many times they exactly lied about telemetry? Or how they sneaked in code to other ppl"s softawre through an undocumented """feature" in their dev tool? Or how they bundled the same spíware into security updates for older operating systems? Sorry but they done more than enough to deserve the distrust and disrespect i have for them.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

While yes, Microsoft did claim that Windows 10 will be the last ever OS (Mac OS X style), frankly, I don't believe them. Eventually they'll put out a new OS, under a new branding (Windows 11, Windows Next, whatever their PR department comes up with).

It might be 10 years from now, but I'm calling it - it'll happen eventually. Probably when they figure that they can't get away from the anti-Windows 10 rhetoric that's ruining their reputation.

More likely, they will just drop the 10 and just call it Windows.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

11 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

More likely, they will just drop the 10 and just call it Windows.

My prediction "Windows Series 10"

Well I just heard from a YouTuber that Microsoft has Windows 7 POS Ready 7 for Windows 7.  And it doesn't require you to pay for ESU fees.  So if you find a license key.  You will get security updates until 2021.

https://www.msembedded.biz/en/embedded-software/windows-embedded-posready-7/

Windows Embedded POSReady 7  Mainstream support ended on October 11, 2016[4]
 Extended support ends on October 12, 2021[4]

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Well, I cannot find my spare HDD for trial of Win 10... and my Win 10 laptop does not want to upgrade to 1903... this looks PROMISING.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Other than very specific applications that were designed and optimized to run on Windows 7(usually found in commercial production, CNC machines, and so on), there really is no good reason to stick with 7 at this point. If your PC is too old for Win 8.1 or 10 either keep it off the Internet or run a Linux distro of your choice. There's nothing wrong with running older machines for specific tasks but if you're using a 10 year old machine as your primary then it's time for an upgrade. Data migration and application compatibility is normally the argument made by the more resistant adopters but these are often the same people doing almost nothing to ensure data integrity.   

15 minutes ago, Founders said:

Other than very specific applications that were designed and optimized to run on Windows 7(usually found in commercial production, CNC machines, and so on), there really is no good reason to stick with 7 at this point. If your PC is too old for Win 8.1 or 10 either keep it off the Internet or run a Linux distro of your choice. There's nothing wrong with running older machines for specific tasks but if you're using a 10 year old machine as your primary then it's time for an upgrade. Data migration and application compatibility is normally the argument made by the more resistant adopters but these are often the same people doing almost nothing to ensure data integrity.   

Its not always this simple though. Yesterday I was contacted by a friend who's dad runs his own business, he's a driving instructor. His PC is almost 10 years old, running 7 and when they tried to upgrade to 10 it failed and reverted back to 7 but didn't do this properly so left it in a semi working state.

Unfortunately he simply cannot afford to buy a new PC, he even said it would be a struggle to pay me to go around and get the thing working again (I went round earlier and did it for free) but without the PC his business cannot run. He actually missed an appointment today because he couldn't access his schedule, luckily enough he called the guy and explained he'd had a computer crash and the client was OK with a reschedule.

Not everyone has the luxury of loose change to buy a PC, even a relatively cheap office PC.

He's a hard working 50+ year old guy who relies on his computer to run his business and I felt sorry for him, he was devastated when he thought his computer was dead. Plus he was good to me when I was going through the difficult teenage years so the least I could do was take an hour to help him out.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)