Security updates for Windows 7 ostensibly end tomorrow, but also officially continue until 2023

Delicieuxz
1 hour ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I believe it also affected Linux and Mac as it was a in Samba itself not just the implimentation.

Not the point though, Jagd said that not updating isn't dangerous as long as you're smart. WannaCry needed no user intervention at all and it's not alone either.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

-Snip Win7 Anime-

Don't forget Win10 has an Anime girl too!
Shes acting kinda funny today though....

windows_10_update.jpg

EDIT: Looking up the Win10 tan made me realize... Windows10 is going to be 5 years old in a few months.
Windows 10 is older then XP was when Vista was first announced... in a year Windows 10 is going be older then XP was when Vista came out.
And last I checked, there is no sign of a Windows 11 cropping up.

9 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

Don't forget Win10 has an Anime girl too!
Shes acting kinda funny today though....

windows_10_update.jpg

But I can't my Compaq CQ56-109WM has extremely low specs to run Windows 10

https://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-presario-cq56-109wm-15-6-c-900-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-2-gb-ram-250-gb-hdd-series/

and I upgraded to 4 GB of DDR2 800 MHz like 6 years ago.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Not the point though, Jagd said that not updating isn't dangerous as long as you're smart. WannaCry needed no user intervention at all and it's not alone either.

Except the user had to expose smb to a untrusted network........

[cue Sound of Silence]

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 hours ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

windows_7_tan_nanami_madobe_by_metakin_d

GzQ8Oq3.jpg

Even Burger King in Japan even offered the Windows 7 BK Whopper

38RxaHq.jpg

Sad Day for Windows 7 users....and I will keep using it on my Compaq CQ56 Intel Pentium 900 2.2 GHz single core CPU system.

Sweet Jesus H Christ. That's... Damn it Japan.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

Antivirus software only protects against known exploits that it can defend against.  If it's a zero-day exploit or something the AV software couldn't stop regardless, you're still in trouble.  I'm sure many WannaCry targets were running AV software, too... ask them how well that worked.

Good IT security doesn't involve hoping your anti-malware tools will make up for known vulnerabilities in the underlying OS.  If you actually want an airtight system, you run an OS that's still actively receiving security updates.  No exceptions.

Also, as I told jagd earlier, please don't assume that the world revolves around you.  You might not want your PC linked to your phone, but that doesn't mean others can't appreciate it.  You have a slight point on sending info to MS, but if you're in that kind of situation and genuinely concerned the info could be misused, you can likely either block the transmissions or make arrangements with Microsoft to limit collection.

Great. I still roam around on protected sites. And doing actual classified work you don't want to send telemetry to MS, or have your PC linked with a goddamn MS account. That's so fucking stupid and I hate it. The entire point of high security networks is that no one is supposed to have names assigned to them but MS forces it to go through their fucking account system, which it also names the PC after? Yeah, no fucking thanks MichaelSoft.

And if you want an airtight system, you don't run an OS that auto applies updates and sends telemetry back to the manufacturer, especially when it can just, at it's own volition, re-enable a bunch of highly insecure options like Cortana that will just record conversations and potentially send that shit back to MS. And they have their own gaping back door into your system, like that's something that won't be exploited.

I'm not assuming the world revolves around me. I said I don't like that shit and I don't want it. I don't care that I CAN link my PC to my MS account, I'm pissed that I HAVE to. I don't care that Google, Ubisoft, Steam etc. all desperately want my phone number (Well, it's kind of annoying) but I don't HAVE to give it to them. Because Win10 has these inherent security issues, along with pre-packaging a bunch of apps and shit I don't want, need and am unable to uninstall, have to tie it in with my MS account, force a dumbass volume indicator, made simple processes far more tedious, all while improving for me at least almost nothing, I'm choosing to stick with Win7 for the time being. I'm sure at some point I will be forced to use Win10, but from my experience with my dual boot, I'm just not very happy with it. The only end user bonus it has for me is that snapping works on all 3 monitors properly, but even that has an annoying as hell caveat.

#Muricaparrotgang

Anyone know when if ever they’ll kill off Internet Explorer?

My grandma barely knows how to use her computer and has been using explorer since it came out. I’ve tried to switch her to chrome many times but she just refuses to learn

I’m dreading the day they kill it off and she’s dead in the water, with me being forced to teach her to use chrome

45 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Sweet Jesus H Christ. That's... Damn it Japan.

Here's her built in desktop app

45 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

And doing actual classified work you don't want to send telemetry to MS, or have your PC linked with a goddamn MS account.

If you were doing classified work you'd be doing it on the government edition of the OS. If not it's only sensitive data not classified or you're breaking protocol. There's other measures too but either case I'm pretty skeptical of "classified work" claims because those real situations have real measures to deal with that nature of data.

I just downloaded 4 new security updates for Windows 7 just now...That's weird.

2 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Time to move on to windows 10 to those who's still sticking to windows 71970354729_Windows7EOL.thumb.png.8ae740aa396ad88b2e468d2ad83ddb6f.png

I did some updates I didn't get that screen....

On 1/14/2020 at 8:37 AM, Donut417 said:

Or you do what I did and move to Ubuntu. It runs more stable than 10 ever did for me. It also gives me options for updating and restarting, rather than do it without permission. 

On 1/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, YellowJersey said:

I switched to Linux when Windows 10 first came out as I didn't like the lack of privacy in 10. Check out Linux Mint. It's designed to be pretty friendly to uses coming from a Windows environment; it's what I've switched to.

I made my switch to Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 (I'm now on 19.3) and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner. I'm so through with MS!

For the record, switching to any flavor of Linux (Mint and POP OS with the Cinnamon desktop are the two recommended most for refugees from Windows) will not be a plug and play kind of thing. You can get it up and running fairly quickly but Linux operated under the hood completely differently from Windows (or MAC) so you have to unlearn pretty much everything you learned about Windows and start from scratch with Linux.

Navigating the learning curve went faster for me than I expected, though (and I have various learning disabilities). I've been on Linux only a month and I already use it as my daily driver. So far, it has done everything I wanted to do with it (although it took a while for the first time for many things until I learned how to do it) and I fire up my Win 7 machine only to copy some data onto a USB Stick to transfer to the Linux machine (which will take a while because I have a lot of data and I'm weeding out the Windows only stuff).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

If you were doing classified work you'd be doing it on the government edition of the OS. If not it's only sensitive data not classified or you're breaking protocol. There's other measures too but either case I'm pretty skeptical of "classified work" claims because those real situations have real measures to deal with that nature of data.

And no one doing classified work tells everyone about it on an open forum.   In fact I doubt people doing that kind of work even bother to entertain these discussions, they know the score.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Our alignment machine runs Windows Vista, it's not connected to the internet and it runs ONLY the aligner software/hardware interface and it works fine. If it's not broke then don't try to fix it. Our scan tool however runs Win7 and it is internet connected, but it gets updates through Snap-on so it should keep getting whatever OS level updates it needs passed on to it.

18 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Our alignment machine runs Windows Vista, it's not connected to the internet and it runs ONLY the aligner software/hardware interface and it works fine. If it's not broke then don't try to fix it. Our scan tool however runs Win7 and it is internet connected, but it gets updates through Snap-on so it should keep getting whatever OS level updates it needs passed on to it.

does your scan tool need to be connected to access vehicle data bases? if so do snap on offer a download feature so the machine can run offline?

EDIT: asking purely out of interest, I haven't seen scan tools that require internet access before.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

There really is no good reason to run 7 anymore. Even switch to Linux if you care about the money. 

3 hours ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Here's her built in desktop app

Holy tits! It's like Clippy with jiggle physics!

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Not if you're a small scale independent contractor like my dad happens to be. He's not going to be buying a $10,000 copy of Windows when he can just use standard Win7 and keep the files on a secure PC.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

And no one doing classified work tells everyone about it on an open forum.   In fact I doubt people doing that kind of work even bother to entertain these discussions, they know the score.

Probably not the smartest move, no. But I'm not the smartest person. Either way, it's invasive and I don't like it. I also don't like using Google Maps on my phone and then having it ask me to rate and review anywhere I've been after forgetting to close the app.

But I do find it ironic that my EE buddy at TI does a lot of work with Samsung, Apple, HP, etc. and they do it all on non-government edition standard Win10. Seems like MS could get themselves an advantage there.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

But I do find it ironic that my EE buddy at TI does a lot of work with Samsung, Apple, HP, etc. and they do it all on non-government edition standard Win10. Seems like MS could get themselves an advantage there.

Or maybe the data MS is collecting isn't as nefarious as everyone makes out.  You know all those companies spend up big on security,  not too mention the thousands of security cowboys all after their 15 seconds of fame after finding anything serious in MS intentions or windows releases that is intentional. lets not forget every government agency and consumer group who is also pulling windows apart piece by piece looking for that smoking gun.

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Or maybe the data MS is collecting isn't as nefarious as everyone makes out.  You know all those companies spend up big on security,  not too mention the thousands of security cowboys all after their 15 seconds of fame after finding anything serious in MS intentions or windows releases that is intentional. lets not forget every government agency and consumer group who is also pulling windows apart piece by piece looking for that smoking gun.

I don't care if it is or isn't nefarious. They shouldn't have any of it. And sure, it's old, but according to Barnacles who used to work deeply within MS, it has a lot of inherent privacy issues. And if MS has a backdoor into your PC, I see no reason why other groups also wouldn't.

I'd also just like to see a straight up-front list of everything MS collects. People like to complain about EGS reading into Steam files because they have a minority shareholder in China, but it's fine when MS does it.

If it's perfectly reasonable to use DuckDuckGo, private browsing, a VPN, OpenStreetMaps, etc. why is it not reasonable to not want MS to just have access to... well who knows what really? Especially when it keeps coming out that all these things like Siri, Alexa, Google, Skype, etc. are all recording conversations, without permission, without knowledge of them even being recording, and sent back for manual review.

#Muricaparrotgang

55 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I don't care if it is or isn't nefarious. They shouldn't have any of it. And sure, it's old, but according to Barnacles who used to work deeply within MS, it has a lot of inherent privacy issues. And if MS has a backdoor into your PC, I see no reason why other groups also wouldn't.

I'd also just like to see a straight up-front list of everything MS collects. People like to complain about EGS reading into Steam files because they have a minority shareholder in China, but it's fine when MS does it.

So according to someone who got laid off who makes their money out of such content on youtube...   you guess it might have a backdoor...    yada yada yada

Thanks but I'll stick to the verifiable stuff released by everyone else in the industry who doesn't make money from that shit. 

Also:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/24/windows-10-can-now-show-you-the-telemetry-data-its-sending-back-to-microsoft/

Knock yourself out, but if the DPA, ACCC, etc can't find anything that MS haven't already said they are collecting in their privacy policy (and they have access to the source code), I doubt anyone else is.

55 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

If it's perfectly reasonable to use DuckDuckGo, private browsing, a VPN, OpenStreetMaps, etc. why is it not reasonable to not want MS to just have access to... well who knows what really? Especially when it keeps coming out that all these things like Siri, Alexa, Google, Skype, etc. are all recording conversations, without permission, without knowledge of them even being recording, and sent back for manual review.

I think you are conflating several issues here.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

So according to someone who got laid off who makes their money out of such content on youtube...   you guess it might have a backdoor...    yada yada yada

Thanks but I'll stick to the verifiable stuff released by everyone else in the industry who doesn't make money from that shit. 

Also:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/24/windows-10-can-now-show-you-the-telemetry-data-its-sending-back-to-microsoft/

Knock yourself out, but if the DPA, ACCC, etc can't find anything that MS haven't already said they are collecting in their privacy policy (and they have access to the source code), I doubt anyone else is.

I think you are conflating several issues here.

If MS is receiving telemetry, that's a backdoor.

And I really don't think I'm conflating things. You use the things I listed to prevent things from tracking you and reading data and telemetry. So why is it inconceivable to want to do the same for MS and not send them anything when they didn't need it before?

#Muricaparrotgang

4 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

If MS is receiving telemetry, that's a backdoor.

And I really don't think I'm conflating things. You use the things I listed to prevent things from tracking you and reading data and telemetry. So why is it inconceivable to want to do the same for MS and not send them anything when they didn't need it before?

defined telemetry and a backdoor are not the same thing.   

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

There really is no good reason to run 7 anymore. Even switch to Linux if you care about the money. 

Have you not been reading this thread? Many good reasons have been presented, such as factory machinery, etc. software not being compatible with an OS higher in number than Win 7 that would cost thousands of dollers to replace.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!