Goold old i5-2500k, System freezes under load

iliblabla

Hey Guys,

as you can imagine by the title, I am running a very old System and it always treated me pretty good, but this might be it.

Since one week or so I experience heavy stuttering under light "load" like watching YouTube.

But it's not always a normal stuttering or a freeze where even the cursor don't respond anymore. It's more like Windows not responding to anything while all applications are "on hold", but normal freezes also happen quite rarely with System catching itself after round about a minute.

While investigating this Bug, I ran Cinebench R15 which provokes this behaviour and I had OpenHardwareMonitor, CPU-Z and CoreTemp on my second monitor in the background.

In mids of the benchmark the System freezes and the values on those other programms stopp 

refreshing and I can't even open Windows start. Nothing responds, till Cinebench is done. So it seems, that the rendering still takes place while everything else is put on hold. 

Overclocking the CPU slightly (@3,8 ghz without any voltages) provokes this behavior to a point, where it even happens in idle, but it doesn't crash or anything.

This is what I've done till now:

- Of course stopped overlocking it

- Checked with Aida64 what load causes the stuttering (it's the CPU)

- Checked RAM with Windows Memory Diagnostic (everything's fine)

- Checked Socket Pins (One was slightly of, I fixed it with nice little tools but the faulty behaviour continues)

- Cleaned the CPU from every sides with Isopropanol (99,9% alcohol for cleaning)

- Cleaned the RAM form every sides with Isopropanol

- re-plugged every single power cable

But nothing seemed to work.

Here is my entire Build:

Intel I5-2500k (Noctua NH-D15 for cooling)

Nvidia GTX 1070 Strix OC

Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 (newest firmware)

16 gb (4x4) BallisticX

Samsung Evo 860

Corsair RM 550x

So, it wouldn't be a desaster to buy new stuff, but I like my good old I5-2500k and it would be awesome when I could keep this fellow running for some time.

18 minutes ago, iliblabla said:

Checked RAM with Windows Memory Diagnostic (everything's fine)

This tool is useless. Use Memtest86 if you really want to know if your RAM is good.

Having said that...have you checked your hard drive for failures? A hard drive going south could cause the issues you see

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

This tool is useless. Use Memtest86 if you really want to know if your RAM is good.

Having said that...have you checked your hard drive for failures? A hard drive going south could cause the issues you see

Hard Drive was my first thought too but being a Samsung Evo 860, I think your likelihood is pretty low. I think Angel is spot on with checking your ram. Fingers crossed it is something as easy as that!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Should have known that the windows tool isn't capable of anything. I was surprised that they offer such function at all.

I will run this memtest tomorrow during work. 

Any suggestions what I can use to check the SSD and my other HDD (which is only used for storage)? 

Sadly memtest86 didn't find any errors.

So let's hope it's the SSD, even if I can't imagine it. 

I will be doing some tests later this day. 

14 hours ago, iliblabla said:

Any suggestions what I can use to check the SSD

Typically the drive maker has tools to use.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

So guys... 

I fixed the problem... With reinstalling Windows, which took me like an hour to do and I don't know if I should be happy or cry because of all this wasted time :D

Btw the SSD was fine according to Samsung magician. I'll try to overclock this little fellow a bit and see how it performs.