What is a thing that a first time pc builder should know?

I'm gonna build a pc tomorrow. Is there some extra tricks I should know? 

The only trick you need to know is: sweep the leg!

/s

Depending on how prepared you are (like if you watched a full 'how to build a PC' video you are basically fully prepared), you might not need to know extra tricks.

But one thing I can say, is 'visualize' things before build it. Think about if you should fit in the RAM or CPU cooler first, run the 8 pin EPS cable through the cable management hole before placing the motherboard down (and plug the cable in already too), that just makes it easier. Don't forget the IO shield, properly ground yourself before building, have all you tools handy, get a good building space, build outside of the PC first.

Those are mainly the tips I would give, if you are basically properly prepared already.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Build the system outside of the case first, use the motherboard's box as insulating platform. You'll learn what cables connect to where that way and will help you route cables in the case

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Build the system outside of the case first, use the motherboard's box as insulating platform. You'll learn what cables connect to where that way and will help you route cables in the case

That's actually great advice...last build I did actually assembled the mobo outside the case...then lowered it assembled into the case and used a long, magnetic screwdriver to screw the mobo down.  Maybe it was the only way I could do it with confidence cause of the tall-a$$ cooler on my cpu.  Even connected all the wires to the mobo before lowering it in...made it WAY easier...ymmv.  

Decide your fan intake and exhaust direction.  The side with the brace across it is always the exhaust side, as in air comes out that side.   You REALLY don't want to wire everything up, have everything setup and then find out the fans are the wrong direction and you'll have to remove every thing to fix it.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Shit doesnt break as easy as you think. (Exception: CPU/Motherboard pins)
Honestly, I'd probably troll my friends irl and say they're probably going to break something if they touch it the wrong way.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Screw with confidence.

gpu last. cables first. and for gods sake try to make it look somewhat clean. you get bad karma points for just shoving all the cables in there and leaving it being a mess. also putting on the sidepanel before posting is bad ju-ju as well :D oh and post your results when youre done :) 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

17 hours ago, Ak5u said:

Take your time

Don't rush the build 

do your front panel connections before you put in the GPU 

Defnitionally  let us know how goes 

Try to keep your cables tidy 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Just watch a buildvideos on YT.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

A lot of people in the PC community are full of themselves.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

19 hours ago, Stu_Bear said:

Don't drink alcohol before or during.

19 hours ago, Ak5u said:

But make sure you've got a little bit of the bubbly for afterward.

1076070936_Alittlebitofthebubbly.gif.a142ea13d76fcd54699c4deddb6dfbaa.gif

Just some things I've always been told, so first, you don't need a livestrong, I mean an anti-static bracelet, just be sure to touch any grounded metal and you'll de-static yourself. As it has already been said assemble as much as you can outside the case, Ram, Cooler, CPU,(Not in that order), take your time and be careful with the CPU and the MOBO itself but somethings do take a bit of UMPH to get put in, IE Ram and your graphics card. If you're going dual channel do not put the ram next to eachother do it 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 or else it won't be recognized correctly. Don't use a swiss army knife that "hopefully" has a phillips head screwdriver, don't hammer in the IO Shield, don't cover your CPU in thermal paste, I do a grain of rice some people do that and like an X and a | or something like that, but don't cover it in paste. Less is almost more.

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

RTFM

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Build on a wooden table. Touch the metal on the computer case to ground yourself before you begin.

Leave the SATA and HDD/SSD power cables for last (these ports are more fragile than they seem). 

If you're using an aftermarket CPU cooler, make sure you have memory clearance before installing it.

You don't need more thermal paste than about a rice-sized drop.

The side of the fan with the sticker is typically where the air comes out, and the side without the sticker is where the air comes in. 

Don't forget to install standoffs before installing the motherboard. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Have confidence in yourself. If a 5 yr old girl can build a PC, so can you. 

Click Here

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

13 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

Just some things I've always been told, so first, you don't need a livestrong, I mean an anti-static bracelet, just be sure to touch anything metal and you'll de-static yourself. As it has already been said assemble as much as you can outside the case, Ram, Cooler, CPU,(Not in that order), take your time and be careful with the CPU and the MOBO itself but somethings do take a bit of UMPH to get put in, IE Ram and your graphics card. If you're going dual channel do not put the ram next to eachother do it 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 or else it won't be recognized correctly. Don't use a swiss army knife that "hopefully" has a phillips head screwdriver, don't hammer in the IO Shield, don't cover your CPU in thermal paste, I do a grain of rice some people do that and like an X and a | or something like that, but don't cover it in paste. Less is almost more.

that metal object has to be grounded to ground yourself though, its like wearing a livestrong bracelet, its not actually grounded so neither are you.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

that metal object has to be grounded to ground yourself though, its like wearing a livestrong bracelet, its not actually grounded so neither are you.

Thank you fixed that

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

so some people clearly have a misconception of grounding yourself, the metal object you touch has to be grounded in order for you to be grounded, your pc case is not grounded so neither are you, this is why people recommend you touch the outside of your psu while its plugged in because the outside of your psu is grounded.

the knowledge of electrostatic discharge is not strong in some of you

Spoiler

just a side note static isnt a big concern and as long as your not building on carpet you should be alright.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

This was me just over a year ago.

The things I did are

1. Watch a ton of videos on PC building

2. Define your use case such as Screen resolution, refresh rate, quality settings as set a budget before doing steps 3 and 4

3.Research all your parts

4.Research all your parts again! You learn as you go and probably find something better or cheaper.

5. Don’t wait for the next release a few months away, unless your building a top end rig or want to kid yourself that you can futureproof your PC

6. Think about your upgrade path and make sure you don’t try to futureproof just in case, instead plan for a small set of reasonable upgrades (don’t worry too much about bottlenecks).

7. Watch videos again and research again, you have probably learnt something.

8. Buy your stuff all at once, no over a few months/year.

9. Take your time, read the manuals, it’s not a race against time to build it.

10. Never panic about a problem, address it in a calm manner and ALWAYS put a lot of effort into your question if posting on here.

11. Don’t do anything complex, keep it simple. AIO is fine but don’t go for an RGB watercooled show rig.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

There are some tricks that I usually recommend, two come during the build, the rest are post build for testing and setup.

During the build:

• Always build the components outside of the case to make sure it posts. You do not need to add graphics cards or connect a hard drive at this point. All you are looking for is a working processor and RAM atleast alive enough to POST.
  • Care about your cable management, front and back, like it reflects on your work ethic, skill, and the amount of money you have invested in the build. Really good cable management, even if it's never seen, is really sweet.

After the build:

• Run the most comprehensive test available in the free version of MemTest86. Problems with RAM stability are often very hard to diagnose and can appear in brand new components. This is much easier to find out now than to wait for your OS install to be corrupted.
  • Stress test your machine. You can use whatever stress test application you like here. I recommend Prime95, but not the stress test version, the actual prime number finding version (by doing this you get much more control over how much your machine is stressed)

If you're at this point, you have a stable, working machine. Go ahead and start messing with your overclock/underclock settings and getting your OS install up to speed. Even if you aren't going to do any overclocking/underclocking, I really recommend selecting the highest XMP profile that your machine will natively support, as this is essentially free performance and extremely easy to do.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME