Modem + Router Purchasing Help

John204

Hello, I’m looking to purchase a new modem and router (either separately or as a combo) for a 100/20 cable connection. However, I’m unsure which modem/routers are good.

Requirements:

Minimum 16x4 channel bonding

Does not exceed $200

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

When it comes to the modem you'll want to find one that your ISP says they support. Most ISPs have a list on their website for 3rd party modems they state will work.

As for the router that entirely depends on your needs. What network of computers will it be managing?

Upon doing some research, it appears that I must use a modem provided by Telstra. As for the needs for the router, it would only be for basic home use.

I currently have a router modem combo from Telstra (C6300BD), is it possible for me to use it as only a modem?

14 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

When it comes to the modem you'll want to find one that your ISP says they support. Most ISPs have a list on their website for 3rd party modems they state will work.

As for the router that entirely depends on your needs. What network of computers will it be managing?

13 hours ago, John204 said:

Upon doing some research, it appears that I must use a modem provided by Telstra. As for the needs for the router, it would only be for basic home use.

John, "home use" can be very broad now. Given all the wifi-enabled devices available. How many devices do you have? Reason I ask is, Windows7ge, I am sorta clouded with how to look for a device that is capable to run multiple, like 20+ devices. What factors/features would I look for in a router to handle more devices?

"Soli Deo Gloria"

IT Technician by trade. Computer/Network equipment enthusiast!

Gaming PC: 

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Stock Core Clock)
  • XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8 GB (Stock Core Clock)
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8) kit 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot & Current Games)
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Data)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Backup)
  • Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • 24" AOC C24G1 1500r Curved Gaming Monitor 144hz 1080p
  • Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair K63 10-Keyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX)
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Razor Death Adder
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link

51 minutes ago, Naterr said:

Reason I ask is, Windows7ge, I am sorta clouded with how to look for a device that is capable to run multiple, like 20+ devices. What factors/features would I look for in a router to handle more devices?

I'm not the best person to ask. I don't spend a lot of time with or researching consumer equipment. General rules apply though switching within the network shouldn't be vastly different between low and high end routers because of ASICs. They're all the same. Wireless is about the only gimmick consumer router have going for them and I'm not a high proponent for wireless. I like my reliable/consistent wired connections.

But, tech you can look for when routing traffic is routers that support MIMO. Look for routers with good QoS controls so you can prioritise network traffic. For routing specifically, look for routers with stronger processors. That's the weakest link when piling on clients that need to make requests between networks. Cheap consumer routers operate under the principal that you don't have a lot of devices running at once.

FACT: A Modem Firmware, you cannot upgrade, it is done by the ISP. So choose a modem with the best features that you can get for the price point you have in mind.

Also, try to get a modem with more than 1 Gig Ethernet connections, you may want to run some devices, network directly on the Modem NAT network.

32 minutes ago, The_Geek said:

Modem NAT network.

Modems don’t do NAT. A standard modem offers 2 connections. One from your ISP ( telephone wire, or Coax for example) then a Ethernet out. That you would connect to a router.

What YOUR referring to is a gateway, a modem and router in one box. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Modems don’t do NAT. A standard modem offers 2 connections. One from your ISP ( telephone wire, or Coax for example) then a Ethernet out. That you would connect to a router.

What YOUR referring to is a gateway, a modem and router in one box. 

Correct...