Budget build for 1080p future proof?

Dr Seuss

It's time for me to update my pc build, and with the new Ryzen cpus out I'm thinking about switching to AMD. But my question is, what would be the best build for solid 1080p gaming at 60fps preferably with ray tracing that will last me 5 years? I want to keep the budget below $1000 if I can, but I cannot go above 1200. 

Here's what I came up with:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vCT8HB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($111.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($76.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.94 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.89 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Deepcool RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120 mm Fans  ($32.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1156.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-12 19:24 EST-0500

Another question, AMD is releasing their 4th gen cpu's later this year, is it worth to wait for those? Nvidia is also supposedly releasing their rtx 3000 series gpu's, as well as AMD releasing a ray tracing gpu. Should i wait until later in the year?

this pc will last you about 6 months, lol
I'm joking but that's because there's no such thing as future proofing, sure spending more gets you a bit more time out of the system but how long the system lasts is how long you're willing to deal with it. you could go with cheaper parts and live with lower performance, but if it's to your standards in 5 years time then it lasted you. Also there could be a revolutionary new way the games run in the future which you must have and you might not make it to the 5 year mark.

The best advice is to make a reasonable budget for you can afford and then build the best pc that fits in that budget.

The build you have is really balanced, however you could get faster ram for a few dollars more.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

7 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

I'm joking but that's because there's no such thing as future proofing, sure spending more gets you a bit more time out of the system but how long the system lasts is how long you're willing to deal with it. you could go with cheaper parts and live with lower performance, but if it's to your standards in 5 years time then it lasted you. Also there could be a revolutionary new way the games run in the future which you must have and you might not make it to the 5 year mark.

The best advice is to make a reasonable budget for you can afford and then build the best pc that fits in that budget.

The build you have is really balanced, however you could get faster ram for a few dollars more.

My version of future proof is as long as I can play AAA titles at mostly high 1080p and be 60fps I'm fine. As far as the ram goes, I have the 3000mhz, you mean to get the 3600? I'm not very educated on ram, but I thought that the speed for ram doesn't change much unless you have a high end build, and even then it's only by 5 fps

1 minute ago, Dr Seuss said:

My version of future proof is as long as I can play AAA titles at mostly high 1080p and be 60fps I'm fine. As far as the ram goes, I have the 3000mhz, you mean to get the 3600? I'm not very educated on ram, but I thought that the speed for ram doesn't change much unless you have a high end build, and even then it's only by 5 fps

Well the problem with triple A games is that we don;t know how they will run in 5 years. With the imminent release of the next gen consoles, they might increase the requirements needed to run them at high settings on pc. you're going to have buyers remorse with whatever you go with, so just get the best system you can get now if you need it today.

Intel doesn't scale with fast ram, AMD loves fast ram, some cherry picked cases of up to 50% better performance with faster ram on an AMD platform, though in your case it might be closer to 10% gain max.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Ram and Ryzen is differing to the traditional Ram for High-end Builds.

Ryzen innerCPU backend goes Faster with Fast Ram.

Different to the past, more meaningful today on Ryzen specifically.

Futureproofing seems silly, what do you expect really?

Over 2 years ago, GTX1070 (1080p)

I've not dropped below 60fps at High settings But it wont be long now....

HighEST settings in some games Ultra/Extreme cases (AAA) Its usually 60-120fps range depending on the game.

I can keep her longer...sure..  using Medium and High in say the next 2-3 years is likely..

Buy what you want to do NOW.

In the 3-5 years (spending the same on GPU)

Same #070 Tier and similar Cost for the GPU, Much more performance for the money years later.

You dont know what the future holds and their demands...

Raytracing and Gaming at 60fps or seperate?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

37 minutes ago, Dr Seuss said:

It's time for me to update

thats what i would go for.

from top to bottom:

• get the Tomahawk max b/c it's ready for ryzen 3000 out of the box
  • get the 3600mhz ram. ryzen 3000 feeds off of fast ram, and it's only a few dollars more
  • get a 2070 super. will last you much longer than the 2060
  • 650W PSU 80+ Gold (higher powerdraw from the other gpu)
  • DITCH THE RETAIL WINDOWS! there are plenty of oem keysellers where you can get win10 pro for 5ish dollars

just my 2 cents

EDIT:

or this if you want to stay closer to the 1000$ mark:

ditch the cooler, 3200mhz ram, 2060 super, no original windows

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

29 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

It’s true the future is famously very very hard to predict, and there are a lot of unknowns.

Future proof computers didn’t even used to be a thing at all until the intel i7 series and Turing radically outlasted their projected envelopes.  The standard used to be a computer would last a couple years at most.  As a games machine goes, the question becomes more of what Microsoft and Sony will do.  If a machine can beat them in hardware it is considered by some fairly likely that it will remain usable until the next console update, ina projected 5 years.  It is thought by many that a 3600 has enough MHz,  cores,and threads to do that.  Projecting what is going to happen with the navi21 gpu both companies are going to field is more unknown though.  Estimates continue to vary wildly.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

25 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Raytracing and Gaming at 60fps or seperate?

both? if it's an option? 

29 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Well the problem with triple A games is that we don;t know how they will run in 5 years. With the imminent release of the next gen consoles, they might increase the requirements needed to run them at high settings on pc. you're going to have buyers remorse with whatever you go with, so just get the best system you can get now if you need it today.

So maybe wait until the end of the year?

Just now, Dr Seuss said:

So maybe wait until the end of the year?

That's a decision for you to make. If you wait, will the pc last now for 4 years or do you want it to still last for 5, so on and so forth with similar questions about your situation I don't have the answer to because I'm not you.

I went out and built my pc half a month before the 9900k came out, did I miss out on performance, yes, do I regret the decision to buy and play for the 2 weeks I had my system, no.

37 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

ditch the cooler, 3200mhz ram, 2060 super, no original windows

Aren't the stock coolers trash? I'd rather pay 30$ and keep my cpu under temps than have it burn up. 

1 minute ago, Dr Seuss said:

Aren't the stock coolers trash? I'd rather pay 30$ and keep my cpu under temps than have it burn up. 

unless you overclock they are fine. in fakt they are pretty good for a free cooler. just don't OC

of course you can go for an aftermarket cooler. nothing wrong with that

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

Look back 5 years at an equivalent machine. GTX 960, i5 5th gen. 

You're not going to be pushing 60+ in most AAA games released now at high settings. Future proofing is out of the realm of possibility as we don't know what the landscape will be in 2025.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 hour ago, Dr Seuss said:

The wraith cooler (comes with X processors)  is pretty close in power to the one you got picked out.  Not as good, but surprisingly close.  The 3600 comes with the wraith stealth iirc, which will work on stock.  Ryzen2 doesn’t behave the same way as older CPUs

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Dr Seuss said:

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($111.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($76.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.94 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Best Buy) 

That's not really future-proof by any means. It still amazes me people are doing 16GB ram builds when the CPU's have all supported 64GB since 2016.

Anyway, this is more of a "barely meeting the requirements for 1080p60" build. It may suffice for now, but if you're trying to futureproof, you aim for 7 years. So the CPU and RAM will probably be left unchanged for that entire time, and the GPU may be switched out up to two times, the initial GPU will be sufficient, but the GPU will need to be replaced every second or third generation, due to escalating hardware requirements.

Now, if VR tanks and everyone moves on to RT, expect some rapid changes in RT tech until a standard for it develops. "3D" screens failed (gives people headaches). VR failed again (makes people vomit.) I do not expect RT to fail, as all it does is poke the uncanny valley effect if done wrong. But the system requirements for good VR or RT are substantial.

And realistically, Raytracing should have come before VR, and should have been out a decade earlier, but we weren't going to get it before bare-metal GPU API's. For VR to work without making people sick it needs high frame rates, and very high resolution. Most of what has come out so far is neither. VR seems to be a dead tech now, so other than some niche VRChat-like systems, most of the stuff that supports VR is terrible.

There is nothing totally future proof....

But this should easily last you for the next 3-4 years.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($103.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($63.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($399.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1037.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-13 00:28 EST-0500

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

It still amazes me people are doing 16GB ram builds when the CPU's have all supported 64GB since 2016.

what the board supports =/= what the user needs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

9 hours ago, VEXICUS said:

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($399.99 @ Newegg) 

I'm looking for something with ray tracing, though amd's new cards had me interested, I'd rather get an rtx series card

10 hours ago, Kisai said:

That's not really future-proof by any means. It still amazes me people are doing 16GB ram builds when the CPU's have all supported 64GB since 2016.

I won't need more than 16gb ram for gaming...just because cpu's and mobo's support 64gb doesn't mean I'll just up and buy it 64gb. Remember, I'm on a budget. As far as not really a future-proof build, Im not looking to be more than 4 or 5 years at MOST. I don't need this to last me for life, just last long enough until I get sick of videogames and move on. I think this build is(and those suggested) are good budget builds for 1080p gaming that will last at least 3 years, even if I have to tune down the settings to play at 60fps down the road. I'm fine with that.

I don't like VR, maybe one day I will, but for now I could care less if it meets vr specs or not. I just want 1080 gaming. 

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

7 minutes ago, Dr Seuss said:

I'm looking for something with ray tracing, though amd's new cards had me interested, I'd rather get an rtx series card

the performance hit is still pretty hard with RTX on,so not really worth it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

Yes I know about that, If you saw my original post I mentioned it, But they are also going to be "high-end" which I'm afraid will be out of my budget

3 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

the performance hit is still pretty hard with RTX on,so not really worth it.

How hard? I knew the frames dropped with rtx on but how hard does it hurt? 

Rtx is basically not worth it.

Look at these results. They are with a 8700k + 2080ti

It hits pretty hard on the performance.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

4 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

Rtx is basically not worth it.

Look at these results. They are with a 8700k + 2080ti

It hits pretty hard on the performance.

Wow...I wonder how much it will affect the new gen consoles then. Dang, I really wanted ray tracing in my new build. Maybe it's best to wait and see amd's ray tracing cards and see if they have the same problem.

10 minutes ago, Dr Seuss said:

Wow...I wonder how much it will affect the new gen consoles then. Dang, I really wanted ray tracing in my new build. Maybe it's best to wait and see amd's ray tracing cards and see if they have the same problem.

the issue so far as I can tell is it’s first gen and even if it works it’s nearly worthless because it does so little.  There was a big worry that the AMD console would have a different and much more effective form of ray tracing.  This appears to not be the case right now.  There is still the worry that some not yet released game could use the ray tracing hardware for something else entirely and suddenly make it necessary. That could still possibly happen, but At that point the Nvidia type of ray tracing still wouldn’t help.

1 hour ago, Dr Seuss said:

I won't need more than 16gb ram for gaming...just because cpu's and mobo's support 64gb doesn't mean I'll just up and buy it 64gb.

RAM is easily the one thing that ensures that a system lasts longer. The office I work with are already outstripping their 32GB machines, even ones just running MS Office because they use really large PDF and Excel spread sheets. The Engineers all want >32GB machines.

Sure, you don't NEED 64GB, but that's just one way of making it last longer as the OS updates and game requirements increase.