GPU and cpu overheating, fans somewhat loud on rampup.

thevyper75

I have a i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz (refuses to go past 4.6 without 1.45v) and 2 gtx 970's.

The cpu reaches 96c on load with case closed(for cinabench 20) and gpus around 87(when gaming.), when using 7-zip the noctua fans blare at me, using 3 140's in the front and 1 120 in the back with 2 140's on the cpu cooler. 

Trying to fix the temp situation for the cpu and gpu, and to go back to 4.6 stable on the cpu. Another problem I have is my cpu stays at 4.4 never ramping down when the usage isn't high.

Cinabench 20 with side panel off at 4.4 ghz: 

ETLC3sg.jpgJy5m9ST.png

(This is with the side panel off.) While running GTA V benchmark using both GPU's:

pKB1drX.jpg

GPU gets to 67c on the main menu. (Side pannel is off.)

3bPvhvL.jpg

6A4uCMT.png

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Your air circulation is extremely disbalanced. With dual GPUs and an overvlocked CPU, you need very good airflow. What you have now is not good. Air gets into the case but there is no way for it to get it. A single 120mm at the rear simply cannot keep up with all the heat that is being produced by the system.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

3 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Your air circulation is extremely disbalanced. With dual GPUs and an overvlocked CPU, you need very good airflow. What you have now is not good. Air gets into the case but there is no way for it to get it. A single 120mm at the rear simply cannot keep up with all the heat that is being produced by the system.

going to turn off my pc for now, would you recommend putting the 120 in the front, moving 2 140's into the back and up top so 2 are intake and 2 are outtake? 

I have the push config for the cpu collar i believe.

3 minutes ago, thevyper75 said:

going to turn off my pc for now, would you recommend putting the 120 in the front, moving 2 140's into the back and up top so 2 are intake and 2 are outtake? 

I have the push config for the cpu collar i believe.

Move 1 140mm fan on top as exhaust. That should help a bit with the CPU cooling.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

8 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Move 1 140mm fan on top as exhaust. That should help a bit with the CPU cooling.

alright

1 hour ago, PopsicleHustler said:

didnt really help

r0YbyKt.png 

1 minute ago, thevyper75 said:

didnt really help

r0YbyKt.png 

You said it was reaching 96c. Now its max 87 on CPU package.

What rpm are the fans at when the system is under load?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Missing some key info here. You say that you have had max OC with 1.46V. Whats the voltage you are running this current OC/issue?

Can you post pictures which would show each GPUs temps and fan speed/curve while they reach those high temps?

As said, open-air coolers on SLI setup isn't the best option as the upper card gets very limited airflow. One solution to that, while not pretty, would be to use plastic/cardboard to direct air from fans to cards better. Right now, as you don't have sidepanel, some of the air moved by fans will be lost to room, not making it to fans by card.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Really 96c under load with a D15? Something is fishy here.

I'd say just get rid of one of the cards, SLI is hardly worth it anyway for gaming. Side panel on should allow the CPU and GPU/s to be fed with more direct airflow. The solid front panel on the case will restrict a bit of airflow, so those fans need to run at a higher RPM to compensate.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:49 PM, WoodenMarker said:

What rpm are the fans at when the system is under load?

rpm's for all fans are linked bellow at the bottom of the thread. cpu's fans are maxed all the time tho by default.

On 1/13/2020 at 6:11 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Missing some key info here. You say that you have had max OC with 1.46V. Whats the voltage you are running this current OC/issue?

Can you post pictures which would show each GPUs temps and fan speed/curve while they reach those high temps?

As said, open-air coolers on SLI setup isn't the best option as the upper card gets very limited airflow. One solution to that, while not pretty, would be to use plastic/cardboard to direct air from fans to cards better. Right now, as you don't have sidepanel, some of the air moved by fans will be lost to room, not making it to fans by card.

max oc was 4.5-4.6ghz stable at 1.46v's 

current voltage is i believe 1.345 1.35 at 4.4ghz using thermal grizzly. 

side panel is closed after doing what Popsicle said. and didn't really help with the degrees. I have a corsair h1010i v1 but its even louder then the air solution. 

As for the gpu's let me load up a game and grab screenshots of the thermals for it, for now here are the stock temps with the oc applied.

GPU1:

D1KZqTx.png 

GPU 2:

dSBsfVS.png

FAN CURVE: 

PhcT42J.png

On 1/12/2020 at 2:28 PM, PopsicleHustler said:

You said it was reaching 96c. Now its max 87 on CPU package.

yes, look at the first screenshot tho it was max 87 as well before the swap after a cold reboot. from the original post for reference:Jy5m9ST.png

10 hours ago, thevyper75 said:

@LogicalDrm here is the gpu temps: fans go up to 85%. (had to alt tab to take screenshot.)

So, from all of this, you aren't overheating anything. Not when all things are considered. You have higher-than-average voltages with good cooling. D15 is great cooler, but can't do miracles. So besides dropping with OC/voltages, only thing to improve CPU cooling would be to go for triple-rad AIO or custom loop. On GPU side things look about what I call normal. Sure, you are hitting 80C mark. But thats still normal temp. You would probably get it lower with single card or more aggressive fan curve.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 hours ago, thevyper75 said:

rpm's for all fans are linked bellow at the bottom of the thread. cpu's fans are maxed all the time tho by default.

Are you referring to max rpm with the stock curve due to high temps? Fans shouldn't be at max rpm with default settings. 

I only see rpm at the bios and not at load. What rpm are the case fans at when the system is under load?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.