Unsuported android version, good idea?

Voylinslife

Hey guy's, I've been wondering if I should try to get a newer android version on my phone or not. Right now I have the moto G4 (yes I know quite an old phone by now).
Is it possible to put an android one version on any phone, and would it be smart? Because I don't know how security updates go then ^^"

I use Linux Arch so getting into the programming side of things won't be a big issue for me :p
Anybody has any idea or advice about this?

6 minutes ago, Voylinslife said:

Is it possible to put an android one version on any phone

No, you need a ROM that's specifically made for your phone-model. They are not like PCs, you can't just take some random ROM and pop it onto your phone.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

No, you need a ROM that's specifically made for your phone-model. They are not like PCs, you can't just take some random ROM and pop it onto your phone.

Ahh xD I basically thought I get myself an android version and put that on my phone. I guess there aren't really safe way's of obtaining such roms?

Just now, Voylinslife said:

Ahh xD I basically thought I get myself an android version and put that on my phone. I guess there aren't really safe way's of obtaining such roms?

Sure, there are, it's not about safety per se. Like I said, the ROM has to be specifically made for your phone, ie. the partition layout has to match, it has to include a kernel that's configured correctly for the hardware and it has to include all the drivers, modem firmware and the likes.

LineageOS is a popular 3rd-party Android-distro and they support a large range of phones -- I have LineageOS installed on several old phones myself. Alas, your phone is no longer supported by LineageOS, either. You might find a ROM with a newer Android-version for your phone on the Moto G4 XDA-forums section, so take a look there, but if there's nothing suitable then you're simply shit out of luck.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

..., but if there's nothing suitable then you're simply shit out of luck.

Wouldn't it be possible to just build my own ROM than? Not sure how I would do security updates and such but it sounds like a nice project to get to know how my phone actually works. Still, making sure that the partition layout is matching and configuring the kernel to my hardware with the drivers sounds like that may be a bit troublesome ^^"

1 minute ago, Voylinslife said:

Wouldn't it be possible to just build my own ROM than?

Sure, but that's way easier said than done. Feel free to take a stab at it, see e.g. https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/athene

1 minute ago, Voylinslife said:

Wouldn't it be possible to just build my own ROM than? Not sure how I would do security updates and such but it sounds like a nice project to get to know how my phone actually works. Still, making sure that the partition layout is matching and configuring the kernel to my hardware with the drivers sounds like that may be a bit troublesome ^^"

AFAIK Building your own ROM is a nightmare and is really hard, but if you want to look into it, the XDA forums are the hub for android enthusiasts. Go there.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Sure, but that's way easier said than done. Feel free to take a stab at it, see e.g. https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/athene

It say's that it is no longer maintained, does this mean it won't work anymore or just that it's outdated? :o

Edit: Because honestly, at this time the last security update I received was in 2018 .... Thanks motorola ^^"