Need some help on how to upgrade boot drive to an SSD

MC_MAN

So for Christmas I got a 500GB SSD for the sole purpose of changing out my windows boot drive to it.

I have previously cloned my HDD to a new one and that worked great and I am willing to do it again, but this time around I want this drive to be just for windows and games and a few programs not all the 400 GB of programs/files/games/ I have. I know steam games are easy to move and have already moved games I want to stay safe to another drive.

Basically my question is what is the easiest way to move to the SSD as a boot and game drive without reinstalling programs all day long. (i googled all day yesterday but couldn't find any recent topics discussing this)

8 minutes ago, MC_MAN said:

So for Christmas I got a 500GB SSD for the sole purpose of changing out my windows boot drive to it.

I have previously cloned my HDD to a new one and that worked great and I am willing to do it again, but this time around I want this drive to be just for windows and games and a few programs not all the 400 GB of programs/files/games/ I have. I know steam games are easy to move and have already moved games I want to stay safe to another drive.

Basically my question is what is the easiest way to move to the SSD as a boot and game drive without reinstalling programs all day long. (i googled all day yesterday but couldn't find any recent topics discussing this)

Clone to HDD to the SSD.

You can use Acronis data migration software.

https://www.acronis.com/en-in/personal/true-image-features/data-migration/

Another good program for cloning (which I recommend) is Macrium Reflect Free. I don't use it anymore since I just switched to Linux Mint but, while still using Windows, it worked very well for me.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!