Digitise DVD & Bluray Collection

Hey guys,

I have a bunch of DVD's and Bluray's which I've collected over the years because I really enjoy having physical media of the films I enjoy but recently I've created a NAS and I'm wanting to start digitising my movie collection.

I tried using Handbrake to begin with because it's something I used many years ago for a college project, but it hasn't worked for some films due to licencing restriction, so I've moved on to using VLC to 'Convert/save' which has worked but it has definitely compressed the films visually and audibly. For example Skyfall on DVD is approximately 8GB but the VLC version is just over 1GB and it hasn't kept the 5.1 Dolby Digital audio. What I'm really wanting is a piece of software which will rip DVD's and Bluray's and keep them as close to the original as possible, is that possible with VLC or do I need to use another program? 

I appreciate there will be some compassion but I don't want it to be noticeable downgrade. 

I hope that all makes sense. Thanks in advance, Matt

MakeMKV is another software you can use. There's also way to go around those odd DRMs which I'm not allowed to share here.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

Make MKV to copy and decrypt the disc, Handbrake to encode

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing