JVC HA-RX900 or AKG K52/K72/K92 or Takstar HD2000?

Hi there, this is my second try on trying to get help from those who have tried them.

Tl:dr, my only headphone (iSK MDH9000), it sounds similar to ATH M50X (last time I compared the two). I've saved enough money to get a new one assuming that most don't know about my headphone, the M50 can be used as a reference for comparison instead.

How does these three compare to the M50?

I owned the AKG K92 and briefly auditioned the M50x. I gotta say that the two are really close. The M50 has sharper highs and more detail. But the K92 is just way more comfortable, especially over longer periods. IMHO, you just can’t go wrong with the K92. But they’re not mind-blowing. The K92 are just really comfy and good enough’. 

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I owned the AKG K92 and briefly auditioned the M50x. I gotta say that the two are really close. The M50 has sharper highs and more detail. But the K92 is just way more comfortable, especially over longer periods. IMHO, you just can’t go wrong with the K92. But they’re not mind-blowing. The K92 are just really comfy and good enough’. 

That's probably good enough for me as I don't plan to get another headphone so comfort is important for the long run. How does it holds up as time goes?

6 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

That's probably good enough for me as I don't plan to get another headphone so comfort is important for the long run. How does it holds up as time goes?

It holds up fine after even 1 year. It’s a hard plastic build on a light metal frame. The earpads are quite durable and replaceable. The non-removable cable is the only scary part. So don’t plug/unplug too frequently. 

6 hours ago, kokakolia said:

It holds up fine after even 1 year. It’s a hard plastic build on a light metal frame. The earpads are quite durable and replaceable. The non-removable cable is the only scary part. So don’t plug/unplug too frequently. 

I see. How is it after 1 year? How long does yours last? I can agree on the cable part, I'm trying to get something that has removable cable myself, at this price point however, there aren't that many options.

13 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

The m50x is an often overhyped or overated hated headphone it's not as good as mkbhd makes it out there be but it's not as bad as most of the audiophile community makes it out to be. It has a purpose and does it ok. It's not comfortable. It's a forward sharp agressive headphone with little to no soundstage. It's pretty good s a monitoring headphone but not the best at its price point or even cheaper. It's not comfortable over long periods of time. And it sucks for gaming

The akg k92 is pretty good. But I say the creative aurvana live! 1 and blon b8 are better cans for a similar price points

On 1/13/2020 at 8:28 AM, rice guru said:

The m50x is an often overhyped or overated hated headphone it's not as good as mkbhd makes it out there be but it's not as bad as most of the audiophile community makes it out to be. It has a purpose and does it ok. It's not comfortable. It's a forward sharp agressive headphone with little to no soundstage. It's pretty good s a monitoring headphone but not the best at its price point or even cheaper. It's not comfortable over long periods of time. And it sucks for gaming

That's pretty much what I've heard, and the comparison by other people in head-fi.org (comparing iSK MDH9000 and others like Takstar and iSK products) had said that those cheaper cans are better than the M50X. I felt that way too whilst comparing the two back then in the store, but I don't think anyone else would know said headphone so the M50 was set as a reference point. 

Perhaps I'd go with the K92, since the creative and blon from where I live pretty much doesn't exist.

Unrelated, but I see kaga, I named my truck after the KC Kaga.

Well, the M50 was once upon a time an excellent value. When they were about 75-90 doll hairs. Since then they became widely popular and the price doubled. And I've been salty about that for what will soon be a decade. So Srh440 is comparable and priced better, 7506 is similar, older design tho. Big dick ballers could swing for the hifiman he4xx. 

15 hours ago, EmoRarity said:

Unrelated, but I see kaga, I named my truck after the KC Kaga.

Well, the M50 was once upon a time an excellent value. When they were about 75-90 doll hairs. Since then they became widely popular and the price doubled. And I've been salty about that for what will soon be a decade. So Srh440 is comparable and priced better, 7506 is similar, older design tho. Big dick ballers could swing for the hifiman he4xx. 

Ah, someone recognized my avatar, that sounds interesting that you name your truck after it, what truck is it sir?

I can agree with you on that one, performance wise I can't really tell for I have no wide comparison to give a reliable say about it, but price wise I can highly agree on it. Regarding the 7506, that's been in my wish list for a while already, but unfortunately it cost more than an M50X from where I live. The SRH440 seems interesting, wish I knew it earlier, it seems to be a good one in terms of portability (foldable) and from having a detachable cable (always prefer it this way, although its possible to repair cables in cans). For the HE4XX, I can get them second-hand but the after sale for it is not really preferable so I suppose this ones a pass, it's good though (from what I've heard and read).

5 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

Lots of text

It's a 2019 Kenworth T680, dark blue. Disregard my avatar is also Kaga, tho larger and hairier.

The rad thing about the Shures is all the pads are interchangeable. So if you end up wanting better pads you can buy 1540 pads and they just fit (I own a pair of 1540s)

10 hours ago, EmoRarity said:

It's a 2019 Kenworth T680, dark blue. Disregard my avatar is also Kaga, tho larger and hairier.

The rad thing about the Shures is all the pads are interchangeable. So if you end up wanting better pads you can buy 1540 pads and they just fit (I own a pair of 1540s)

Hmm I see, that seems stunning. I did not expect your expect is also Kaga, I can agree with you that it is larger and hairier, may I know from what show it is from? Interchangeable pads seems to be a must for me since I expect to use cans in the long run and I do not intend to have plenty of them, thankfully there are plenty of interchangeable pads for them although I'd like to know too, whether it is possible to use pads designed for M50s on it?

1 hour ago, iM8Pizza said:

Hmm I see, that seems stunning. I did not expect your expect is also Kaga, I can agree with you that it is larger and hairier, may I know from what show it is from? Interchangeable pads seems to be a must for me since I expect to use cans in the long run and I do not intend to have plenty of them, thankfully there are plenty of interchangeable pads for them although I'd like to know too, whether it is possible to use pads designed for M50s on it?

I don't think you can swap between the two brands for pads. The Shures are slightly bigger and a different shape.

4 hours ago, EmoRarity said:

I don't think you can swap between the two brands for pads. The Shures are slightly bigger and a different shape.

I see. I have mostly used leatherette pads and I can say that they get pretty hot after some time, I've heard about velour pads and would like to give it a try, have you ever had the experience on both pads?

My 1540s have alcantera, my hifimans are velour, my Sony's leatherette. I'm functionally bald so it doesn't get as hot, but I prefer options other than leatherette/pleather

8 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

I see. I have mostly used leatherette pads and I can say that they get pretty hot after some time, I've heard about velour pads and would like to give it a try, have you ever had the experience on both pads?

15 hours ago, EmoRarity said:

My 1540s have alcantera, my hifimans are velour, my Sony's leatherette. I'm functionally bald so it doesn't get as hot, but I prefer options other than leatherette/pleather

I see, between the two (alcantera and velour), which of them in your opinion is the better one comfort wise and do they give out a different audio characteristics?

1 hour ago, iM8Pizza said:

I see, between the two (alcantera and velour), which of them in your opinion is the better one comfort wise and do they give out a different audio characteristics?

Velour = less bass, more treble 

“Leather” = more bass, less treble. 

4 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

I think the alcantera breathes better, it think both are equally durable. I think the material covering the pad makes zero difference for audio. Though the density of the foam used will. 

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Velour = less bass, more treble 

“Leather” = more bass, less treble. 

Mmmmm, wut.

17 hours ago, EmoRarity said:

I think the alcantera breathes better, it think both are equally durable. I think the material covering the pad makes zero difference for audio. Though the density of the foam used will. 

Mmmmm, wut.

I see, very well then. I suppose I'll try getting alcantera and/or velour if given the chance

10 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

I see, very well then. I suppose I'll try getting alcantera and/or velour if given the chance

Which I a point to the Shure headphones, all pads are interchangeable between all srh model.