Corsair iCue to support asus motherboard RGB lighting control

ETHREAL1

So something missed by seemingly everyone at CES 2020 was that Corsair apparently announced that they are working with ASUS to allow for Corsair iCue to control the motherboard RGB lighting including RGB strips connected to the motherboard. (ARGB not currently supported but planned apparently)

Though it’s currently in beta and only supported on certain motherboards. (see links in Corsair forum post)

As a quote from the Corsair forum; (see link 1) 

As you saw from our [Corsair] CES 2020 announcement, we are now in a partnership [ASUS] to allow for their motherboard RGB lighting zones to be integrated in iCUE. This means that Aura Sync compatible motherboards will now appear in iCUE and allow all of their zones of lighting to be configurable together with your other iCUE-support devices. As part of this reveal, we will start the beta so you can get your hands on early access to start playing with the feature.”

This is a massive step in unifying the RGB ecosystem as with this it is possible to make a system where all the RGB can be controlled by one software with the exception of GPU lighting at this point.

Reference;

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=192965

Asus Aura and Corsair ICUE are not reliable all the time, but if I have to pick between these two then I will go with ICUE because Corsair has good customer support and kinda fast in fixing ICUE from my opinion and Asus has potato customer support and slow fixing Aura. 

It is good thing that Corsair support ASUS now. 

I agree, I’ve also felt that out of all the RGB control software out there Corsair iCue has the most flexibility/features, and only until recently has there been really any other competitor to it, namely the brand new thermaltake controller software.

I went with Thermaltake ring fans solely because they have an addon that lets you use all major motherboards built in rgb software.

Not sure why more companies havent done the same.

Great news! Just tested it, works perfectly with my ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Finally! 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

How about instead the motherboard/case/cooler manufacturers get together and make some open standard that they all support going forward? 

Every piece of proprietary manufacturer software I've ever used has ranged from barely functional (Corsair Link) to gaudy and resource intensive (EVGA Precision) to outright broken and impossible to get rid of (Asus Aura). I can't imagine that these softwares are actually a selling point for anyone, and I know that for myself the awful implementation means that I'm going to deliberately avoid Corsair and Asus products in the future. I'm not overly passionate about RGB shit but if it's going to be included, at least have some sort of basic API that is easy for third party clients to hook into and take over. The fact that I need to install an absurdly complex and buggy piece of software like SIV just to properly manage my CLC is kind of embarrassing at this point. 

Spoiler

And go ahead and cue the XKCD comic, but I'm talking about an actual agreement between manufacturers. Not that it'll ever happen. 

13 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

How about instead the motherboard/case/cooler manufacturers get together and make some open standard that they all support going forward? 

Every piece of proprietary manufacturer software I've ever used has ranged from barely functional (Corsair Link) to gaudy and resource intensive (EVGA Precision) to outright broken and impossible to get rid of (Asus Aura). I can't imagine that these softwares are actually a selling point for anyone, and I know that for myself the awful implementation means that I'm going to deliberately avoid Corsair and Asus products in the future. I'm not overly passionate about RGB shit but if it's going to be included, at least have some sort of basic API that is easy for third party clients to hook into and take over. The fact that I need to install an absurdly complex and buggy piece of software like SIV just to properly manage my CLC is kind of embarrassing at this point. 

I agree that there should just be a standard, but I personally have not had any problems with iCue on my builds, and it’s not hard to completely remove aura.... I’ve done it many times before...

but on another note, something that could come to pass is eventually the protocols that are being made by Corsair trying to work with everyone is as a byproduct making a standard everyone will use

7 minutes ago, Demonking said:

I wish my Z270 Strix E board was on the list.

Try it anyways, it’s a beta, and lots of people are reporting there board works even though it’s not on the list

1 minute ago, ETHREAL1 said:

I agree that there should just be a standard, but I personally have not had any problems with iCue on my builds, and it’s not hard to completely remove aura.... I’ve done it many times before...

but on another note, something that could come to pass is eventually the protocols that are being made by Corsair trying to work with everyone is as a byproduct making a standard everyone will use

I had an absolute nightmare with Aura a few years ago, and a friend of mine just built a new Ryzen system and had similar issues with it sucking up CPU and being almost impossible to shut down. I just wound up using the BIOS to set everything the white and called it a day. 

Also I can't trust Corsair after they fucked everyone on the first revision of Vengeance LED ram. The advertised it as having capabilities it didn't have, then said they'd patch it in, then after 6 months they patched Link to support some mainstream Intel motherboards and basically said "yeah we're never going to support X99". So I not overly keen on trusting them to be the saviors of RGB. 

1 minute ago, Waffles13 said:

I had an absolute nightmare with Aura a few years ago, and a friend of mine just built a new Ryzen system and had similar issues with it sucking up CPU and being almost impossible to shut down. I just wound up using the BIOS to set everything the white and called it a day. 

Never said aura was good, I actually think it’s crud, but I’m saying is it’s not hard to kill, I’ve removed it from my machine, and about the machines of 4-5 of my friends, all you need to do is get REVO uninstaller, disable auto start of the program, service, and windows app (if applicable) reboot, then nuke them with revo and then check the registry’s two locations for auto start to make sure there is no aura stuff left and if so remove them.

also that’s one of the things I like, you install aura but don’t launch it, I think it just uses a plugin to contact the aura service, meaning you can disable aura from auto starting if you just let the service be active, witch from what I’ve seen has almost no impact on performance.

1 minute ago, ETHREAL1 said:

Never said aura was good, I actually think it’s crud, but I’m saying is it’s not hard to kill, I’ve removed it from my machine, and about the machines of 4-5 of my friends, all you need to do is get REVO uninstaller, disable auto start of the program, service, and windows app (if applicable) reboot, then nuke them with revo and then check the registry’s two locations for auto start to make sure there is no aura stuff left and if so remove them.

also that’s one of the things I like, you install aura but don’t launch it, I think it just uses a plugin to contact the aura service, meaning you can disable aura from auto starting if you just let the service be active, witch from what I’ve seen has almost no impact on performance.

I never used that i uninstall and delete the files left over 

7 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

Also I can't trust Corsair after they fucked everyone

Also.... just about every company ever

its not working on by asus b450 f.

Is the plugin folder supposed to be filled in with loads of random photos?

2 minutes ago, Demonking said:

I never used that i uninstall and delete the files left over 

I just like it as it looks at change logs and tracks any file made by the program so it can flag them when you uninstall it

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I have no idea.... my new build at the moment is not finished so I can’t check, but reference the Corsair forum???

3 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

i fixed it so i just copied and pasted the crap in the zip in without the folder

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

I do hope they add gpu's such as strix gpu's into this soon

As do I, then everything “can” be controlled by ONE software not 7