On the other side of the scale - VR @CES

williamcll

While everyone is gushing over large TVs and monitors. A few others are showcasing what visuals they can do on a smaller scale. 

jbd25um.jpg

This week at CES 2020, China-based Jade Bird Display (JBD) revealed its latest portfolio of micro LED displays which the company is positioning as an ideal fit for AR and VR devices. Among the company’s miniscule displays is a one that’s smaller than a penny but capable of a blinding 3,000,000 nits.

At CES 2020 this week, the company demonstrated its brightest and most pixel-dense displays to date. The displays, while still just monochromatic, could disrupt the design of AR and VR headsets thanks to their extreme brightness.

On the extreme pixel density side of things, the JDB25UMFHD-B packs an incredible 2,560 × 1,440 pixels into a display smaller than a penny—just 0.31′ diagonally. At 10,000 pixels per inch, the distance between pixels is 2.5 micrometers. Just to remind you, micrometers are one order of magnitude larger than nanometers (there’s 1,000 nanometers in a micrometer) and one order of magnitude smaller than millimeters (1,000 micrometers in a millimeter).

Elsewhere, others have pushed the level of immersion to new levels, starting with full body senses:

IMG_9005-e1578528602506.jpeg?resize=1024

bHaptics showed off the Tactsuit line of wearable haptic accessories, including a $499 Tactot vest that makes you look like a SWAT team member when you strap a set of powerful vibrating actuators on your chest. I tried the system with PUBG, and saw it with music, and there’s no doubt that it brings strong sensations to your entire upper torso in a largely body size-agnostic design. The company’s working on software-level support for an upcoming VR version of PUBG, which could be a big deal later this year.

If you think the pimax 5K is still not enough for you, here is an 8K goggles for all your high end VR needs (high end gpu not included) 

xtal8k-e1577810847567.jpg?fit=400,184&st

Though the new XTAL uses the same name as its predecessor, it’s immediately differentiated by a key spec: 8K resolution, achieved using two high-density 4K LCD screens. The added resolution will enable professional users — including pilots looking for ultra-realistic flight simulators — to actually read text and instrument panels, with software-optimized readability using workstation class GPUs such as Nvidia’s Quadro RTX 8000.

Critically, connected PCs will now need only a single VirtualLink USB-C cable, rather than six cables, for a full power, display, and data connection. Eye tracking running at 210 frames per second will assist with foveated rendering to keep the pixel processing demands reasonable on current-generation GPUs.

On the control side, the new XTAL will continue to use Leap Motion sensors for “highly accurate” hand tracking. Users of the 8K headset will also benefit from improved 180-degree FOV lenses and the optional AR module, both of which should achieve superior results when paired with the higher-resolution displays.

Some have taken a light approach:

ddayit.jpg

Panasonic HDR-capable UHD VR glasses shown this week at CES 2020 showed the world that such devices needn’t look like a boxy nightmare. Where the first several generations of VR headset from companies like Oculus and HTC brought about a new sort of design language with the hunk-on-face look, the Panasonic design looks like they dropped in from an alternate dimension to bring us some VR glasses that’d be right at home in The Matrix.

At the heart of this headset is an optical module developed by Kopin, 3M, and Panasonic. This optical module “allows the display of natural and distortion-free images in super single focus.” As a result of this module, designs like what you see above are made possible. That is “A compact and lightweight design achieved an eyeglass-like shape.”

This headset’s three “main features” are:

• Its micro OLED panel co-developed by Kopin and Panasonic

• Technics original dynamic driver for sound

• Optical module developed by Kopin, 3M, Panasonic

Reply me with a source if you find any other interesting VR products 

Source: https://www.roadtovr.com/ces-2020-jbd-micro-led-ar-vr-absurd-brightness/amp/

https://venturebeat.com/2020/01/09/ces-2020-proved-vr-and-ar-are-thriving-and-moving-into-automobiles/

https://venturebeat.com/2020/01/06/vrgineers-debuts-8k-xtal-vr-headset-with-180-degree-fov-and-ar-add-on/

https://www.slashgear.com/panasonic-vr-glasses-are-a-steampunk-dream-for-5g-09606466/

Thoughts: I should probably hold on to buying a rift S for now, maybe in a few months there is going to be new models right around the block. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I refuse to believe something that small is 1440p, there's just no way you can cram enough pixels in to what is literally the size of a fucking pixel.

Most excited about the Panasonic one. The bigger ones with crazy resolutions and refresh rates are great but I just want something that doesn't kill me with heat and is light on my head. Honestly my biggest complaints with my Explorer 

That's an F in the profile pic

That PPI though. Also the so called 8K VR really a 4K per eye. Either way, definitely for proper VR experience high resolution, refresh rate and fov are crucial. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I refuse to believe something that small is 1440p, there's just no way you can cram enough pixels in to what is literally the size of a fucking pixel.

Micro LEDs are made on wafers, the same as CPUs that have transistors in the nano-meter scale. So, I don't really see how it is impossible to have a high screen resolution in an extremely small package. Cost being the only barrier to entry.

13 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Steve from Gamers Nexus counted the pixels himself, its really 1440p

SmartWatch manufacturers be like:

4k UHD smart watches! 10min of battery life. QuickCharge and QuickDischarge function.

If they can scale that to higher resolutions that could get really interesting. Not necessarily higher density, but make more active area with more pixels. That way, you approach a point where you can fit in an RGB matrix without losing effective resolution. If they can make that at, say, 8k, it could be pretty Retina-like. Before you say there's no chance in hell of VR refresh rates at 8k per eye, look at it more like the CRT days where the pixel resolution is not tied to the display technology itself. You render and send at whatever is possible and the display can scale the output.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Most excited about the Panasonic one. The bigger ones with crazy resolutions and refresh rates are great but I just want something that doesn't kill me with heat and is light on my head. Honestly my biggest complaints with my Explorer 

There's no way no get a good FOV with glasses like that. They might work, but it's going to be like looking through a toilet paper tube. 

0.31'?  Looks like 0.31" to me.  Also why is that one measurement in imperial when the rest is metric, and why are they calling what I guess is meant to be the diagonal size, "display area"?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

0.31'?  Looks like 0.31" to me.  Also why is that one measurement in imperial when the rest is metric, and why are they calling what I guess is meant to be the diagonal size, "display area"?

Some sensor sizes, due to historic reasons long forgotten, can be expressed as a single dimension unit. Some examples in the middle of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

I think I did read at some point what the value relates to, but it isn't an actual physical measurement of the sensor itself (not a side or diagonal). I forgot what it actually means though. Something to do with what it is used with.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Some sensor sizes, due to historic reasons long forgotten, can be expressed as a single dimension unit. Some examples in the middle of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

I think I did read at some point what the value relates to, but it isn't an actual physical measurement of the sensor itself (not a side or diagonal). I forgot what it actually means though. Something to do with what it is used with.

Ah, yes I know of these numbers for camera sensor sizes, but that didn't even come close to crossing my mind in this context.  For one thing it's a display, not a sensor, and the quoted article even calls it a diagonal measurement (and maintains their use of ' for some reason).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ah, yes I know of these numbers for camera sensor sizes, but that didn't even come close to crossing my mind in this context.  For one thing it's a display, not a sensor, and the quoted article even calls it a diagonal measurement (and maintains their use of ' for some reason).

Doh! I was thinking backwards. I was thinking, in a VR application, these would have to be used with optics, and from that point on my brain went into sensor mode. 

Let's work it out. We have the two sides and can work out the diagonal. Convert to inches, we get 0.23", 0.33", 0.40". None of them are 0.31" (if we assume they mean " not '). Could it be a difference between active area vs package size maybe?

On 1/11/2020 at 2:54 AM, TempestCatto said:

They already have 8k or similar like ones. REALLY expensive, and go to CES/shows but the real purchasers of those are really only MOD/defence contracts (heads up displays/goggles etc).

Making the silicon chips/layers is easy now... getting the reliable results/cheap processes (instead of slow long ones) is hard.

On 1/11/2020 at 3:36 PM, porina said:

Doh! I was thinking backwards. I was thinking, in a VR application, these would have to be used with optics, and from that point on my brain went into sensor mode. 

Let's work it out. We have the two sides and can work out the diagonal. Convert to inches, we get 0.23", 0.33", 0.40". None of them are 0.31" (if we assume they mean " not '). Could it be a difference between active area vs package size maybe?

No idea.  I could guess all day but I don't see much value in that.  Hopefully if this actually turns into a useful product at some point, there will be more details and clarification.

I'd love to see what Windows would do hooked up to this.  Recommended 27000% scaling lol

• 7 months later...

Apparently engineering samples and near-term production is now at a reduced resolution of 1920x1080?

ezgif-4-6fe9f371ac0d.png.e6cf3fca29c5bee0455b353dd590b099.png

ezgif-4-87b5ae3770fe.png.a83b37210e4bb7284bd0bd086acfeb8f.png

https://www.jb-display.com/0-22

Current 0.5-inch OLED offerings for comparison:

In any case, this is the kind of stuff that will make half-inch 4K displays possible as well as half-as-bulky VR headsets.

Would love to integrate something like it in an Iron Man or similar robo cosplay without having to worry about the size and weight of the FPV goggles.