Hard Questions for a Computer Science Teacher

The Torrent
Go to solution Solved by Man,
On 1/10/2020 at 11:33 PM, The Torrent said:

Give me a simply worded but hard question to ask him.

Can my toaster run Crysis?

I know a computer science teacher who teaches at a high school claims to know everything.

I got one myself but tbh its more of a separate question for myself.

So firewire is transmitted in a 'stream' not packets, but hes always saying everything is converted into packets so how does that work?

@captain_to_fire can help if your teacher is having to struggle. 

Easy

- What primers to use during Reverse Transcription would be suitable to visualise a Tumour-Suppressor Gene, a trivial example is P53. 

Middle

- What is the function of B-mercaptoethanol in SDS-PAGE?

Hard

- Describe briefly Regulation of Apoptosis by IAPs and anti-IAPs and then structure of these proteins. 

Very Hard

- How is HIF-1-alpha degraded and how is this regulated - more importantly why.  

20 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

What primers to use during Reverse Transcription would be suitable to visualise a Tumour-Suppressor Gene, a trivial example is P53.

That's not a computer science - question.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

11 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That's not a computer science - question.

they are hard questions for a computer science teacher. Although I would imagine any computer science major should be able to answer the first one anyway as RT-PCR automated via computers now. 

Other than normal teaching degree in university I do not know about other parts they would do to become a computer science teacher or a biology teacher. Usually they have a general understanding and a course that they learn from to answer questions. From there they teach the course and assist where needed. Its more the person and how they teach rather than their independent knowledge of the subject. Plus highschool classes are very basic compared to post secondary. Trying to ask smarty questions just to stump someone is kind of mean when they are there to try and show you stuff that can open your eyes to the world of computers. Do you go to the gym teacher and ask them to 1v1 you on the basketball court and if he loses you show your better? they are there to assist with learning a set standard for you to leave highschool with not answer tricky questions to try and show them up lol.

Not much point in playing stump the teacher.  Neither the teacher or your classmates will be impressed.  Usually when someone is asking the teacher a bunch a questions beyond the scope of the class and wasting everyone's time it is not looked favorably on.

people forget the good teachers but the bad teachers we all have had. the best teachers i had didnt always have the answers but got you to question and think about things.

he might be trying to impress you with his knowledge because honestly who else would care? people who are smart dont go around saying they are everyone knows they are.  im not saying he isnt bright but if he was a genius and knew everything he wouldnt be teaching students in high school.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

The trick is to ask the prof about his life so he starts talking and wastes class time

yes, but the side effect could be a whole lot of home work for the class lol

most tests and exams are standard now, and they do have to cover material that will be on the tests 

It is not hard considering he is just a teacher. Teachers, at least in my country, only have to take a limited amount of computer science classes compared to regular cs students.

You will also look like a douche in front of everybody.

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?"

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

16 hours ago, comander said:

"What is an autoencoder?"
"How do LTST networks  work?"
"How does gradient boosting differ from boosting?"

These are a bit machine learning oriented but could conceivably be covered during an undergrad CS class.

They're pretty basic questions. 

These might be basic machine learning questions, but I don't think I know any CS person that would know these answers off the top of their heads.

They could easily research them and understand the basics, of course - but the OP's trying to "catch" them unawares in one fell swoop.

Of course, the entire premise of trying to stump your teacher simply because he pretends to know everything is just childish, at best.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

How and why does Quantum Computing work.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

11 minutes ago, Praesi said:

How and why does Quantum Computing work.

You need to ask physicsts. It has something to do with quantum entanglement. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

ask him who standardize the normal hdd or ssd body

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

8 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Firewire is just another data bus, like USB or your Ethernet port. All transmission is going to be done in serial or parallel, so your question makes no sense. Data over any kind of wire is going to be transmitted in its most basic form: binary. So yes, it's a binary "stream" of data. How else would you send it? Packets don't exist in the physical world; they're just a concept we came up with to organize the binary data we send over wires. This is detailed in the OSI Model. Packets are the in the 3rd layer.

I have read posts over the internet that say specifically:

usb is in packets where as firewire is not

So could you explain how USB 'packets' are different from Firewire DMA 'stream' packets please?

Also does firewire still use ACK/NAK??

Thanks,

Moreover for this entire thread its purpose for the question was actually extremely different than to 'stump a teacher in a class in front of peers' however it has went horrifically off track and not as expected, so just drop the subject of the thread please.

On 1/11/2020 at 7:33 AM, The Torrent said:

I know a computer science teacher who teaches at a high school claims to know everything.

Who cares? It's not possible to know everything and just diving in to specific subject matter expert material doesn't prove anything other than those in the field have readily accessible knowledge that others do not. For all you know the teacher does have a broad understanding on a wide range of things. As long as the information is correct simply learn from it, not that it's a goal but the only time you should really try to 'trip someone up' is if you know the information is not correct in which case that can, not always, warrant a correction.

Fair warning what you are wanting to do from a 3rd party onlooker is the same thing you are complaining about for the teacher.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:33 PM, The Torrent said:

Can my toaster run Crysis?

FYI, this is actually a really good thing to do. Always be interested and asking questions. The more you ask the more you learn, even if unintentional. 

2 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

I don't know and have never need to know.

If we're to get technical, it's transmitted as EM waves and this all gets extremely complicated. You're only ever going to have one bit at one point in the wire at any given moment in time.

do you know where I would be able to find out? This is the question thats been lingering in my mind for months.

I think i've understood firewire stream comes classed under circuit switching, but does that still technically use packets? As its presented as a contrasting method but yet everyone still tells me 'everything uses packets'.

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

I think i've understood firewire stream comes classed under circuit switching, but does that still technically use packets? As its presented as a contrasting method but yet everyone still tells me 'everything uses packets'.

I don't know much about firewire specifically so my explanation here is more general, but a protocol can be described as circuit switched while still using packets.

Old analogue phone networks were physically circuit switched, so there was a dedicated physical connection between the phones and no packets were involved. That's not going to work in a firewire cable though, because there are only a couple of conductors but support for up to 64 devices, so some protocol needs to be used to share access to the medium. If that split is done by just allowing each client to transmit 1/64 of the time in a fixed slot, you don't need any routing or header information so they still aren't really packets. However, that's really wasteful if the connection isn't being utilised 100% of the time, so one optimisation is as follows:

• When a client wants to set up a connection, they agree a minimum level of service for that connection (where the sum of the minimum levels of service of all of the flows ≤ capacity of the link) and are assigned a flow ID
  • When sending data on that connection, they wrap it in a simple packet with the flow ID (and probably some other metadata like length) in the header, and send it on the wire
  • If the link is idle, any flow can send as many packets as they like, but as the link becomes busier the flow rates are limited so that everybody that wants to send at their minimum level of service can do so.

This is still circuit switched because there is a setup phase and guaranteed service, but the data is divided into packets to be sent over the wire.

HTTP/2 203

Is it true that P=NP?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*