Can I install SSD in my laptop as boot drive using caddy ?

suraj ranjan

I am adding SSD to my laptop and making it as my boot drive, so can I install it in my cd port using caddy or should I place it in the original hard disk slot and put my internal hard disk in the caddy??

30 minutes ago, suraj ranjan said:

I am adding SSD to my laptop and making it as my boot drive, so can I install it in my cd port using caddy or should I place it in the original hard disk slot and put my internal hard disk in the caddy??

Shouldn't make any difference if both ports use SATA3 and they most likely do. Unless it really use cd and not dvd, then it's most likely on IDE/SATA1

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Shouldn't make any difference if both ports use sata 3 and they most likely do.

I was worried about speed, I somewhere read that adding ssd to cd port using caddy may lower the speed, so I am confused

Just now, suraj ranjan said:

I was worried about speed, I somewhere read that adding ssd to cd port using caddy may lower the speed, so I am confused

What laptop is it? You have a model?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

What laptop is it? You have a model?

Its dell vostro 15

6 minutes ago, suraj ranjan said:

Its dell vostro 15

You have a P/N? Dell vostro 15 is a wide term. ie:

Vostro 15 7590

FS in Denmark/EU:

Just now, DoctorNick said:

You have a P/N? Dell vostro 15 is a wide term.

uh, where can i find it? i am sorry, i checked belowthe laptop and I dont see any p/n 

3 minutes ago, suraj ranjan said:

uh, where can i find it? i am sorry, i checked belowthe laptop and I dont see any p/n 

Usualy there's a sticker on the back with some info including model number.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

With Dell you usually have to take the service tag and go see on their website what that corresponds to.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On a laptop with a 7th gen cpu it should not matter. All SATA ports on that chipset is SATA 3

On 1/11/2020 at 5:19 AM, suraj ranjan said:

SO CAN I USE CADDY FOR SSD OR SHOULD I PUT IT IN HARD DISK SLOT?

Have you tried?
Cus like said before i don't think the order really does matter as long as you can set boot priority in the BIOS.

ps. the shouting really isn't helping, it usually deters people from responding. So ill just think of it as an accident. :)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

13 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Have you tried?
Cus like said before i don't think the order really does matter as long as you can set boot priority in the BIOS.

ps. the shouting really isn't helping, it usually deters people from responding. So ill just think of it as an accident. :)

yes yes, i changed it to boot priority and installed it in the caddy itelf, the spped is improved..
and yes, I am sorry about all caps in the previous one, that was accidentally typed, thanks for understanding :)

19 hours ago, Selle said:

On a laptop with a 7th gen cpu it should not matter. All SATA ports on that chipset is SATA 3

oh okay, thank you

Thanks to everyone who responded, I installed my SSD on the caddy itself and boot up speed has improved and also I see some other changes in my system as well, like, before the external drive used to make more sound but now the system works silently most of the times, thank you. :)