Samsung hangs on to the cell - new rugged phone with removable battery

williamcll
2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

No. That's simply what older tech was. Efficiencies etc improve as the tech does.

Perhaps.  Radio has been radio and math has been math for a really long time though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

• Wired charging is 85% efficient
  • Wireless charging is 75% efficient
  • The difference between 85, and 75 is 10. Not 15.

10/75=13.3%

"Ten percentage points less efficient" is not the same as "10% less efficient".

Having percentage points as the unit of account doesn't allow you to redefine what "10% more" and "10% less" mean, concepts that still apply when you are comparing magnitudes not measured in percentage points (1133 kilometer would still be "13,3% more" than 1000 kilometers, just as "85%" vs "75%").

Edited by SpaceGhostC2C
LOL wrong math :P

27 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Apparently your reading comprehension needs a little work, so let's dive in to what was said.

I said:

To which he replied:

Pay close attention to the bolded red items.

What's the take away here?

• Wired charging is 85% efficient
  • Wireless charging is 75% efficient
  • The difference between 85, and 75 is 10. Not 15.

Your relying on marketing material to prove a point that I already explained was not significant (at least in terms of making an argument), but not wrong either as I dispute their marketing assertion that cables are only 85% efficient.

Cable losses can easily be calculated using  P=I2R  given a 2amp charging current and 1 metre of 1mm2 copper cable which has a resistance of 0.017ohms, the power loss in  is 0.068watts and the Vdrop is 0.034V.  given you have 5V or 10W that's an efficiency of  99.38%. Moral is don't rely on marketing material for an argument.

If you want I can dig out my electrical principals engineering manual and show you the efficiencies of induction coupling, but it might be easier to watch electroboom instead.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

That was a misread remark, I was simply stating that it's possible to get fast wireless charging in relation to what the general norm is for most cell phones.
I wasn't saying that at the same wattage one is faster.

Yes, but wireless charging as a whole, really, is a relatively new thing. So. It's of course only going to get better, and they'll find ways around the heating issues, just as they have with wired fast charging. That's where the industry will eventually go. Like it or not.

Arrrrre you trying to say that wireless charging isn't improving greatly in efficiency?

It's not that I don't like it. XD

It's that for now, it's not as efficient. Similar with taking out the headphone socket. Some companies make it less a problem by putting in wireless buds/deals etc. Some don't.

I'd love wireless charging. Could have it back on the Note 4. I chose battery life/device life over wireless charging. No phones with it (AFAIK) currently have a user replaceable battery, thus I'll skip!!! Once / if they offer a replaceable battery, I'd be less worried about cooking it when I need a quick (fast) charge.

7 hours ago, redbread123 said:

yeah like pentelope screws and sealed back covers because they want to fucking charge 600$ for it, no wonder they're the first trillion dollar scam

Further information about pentalobe

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentalobe_security_screw

basically it’s a security screw.  There are a bunch of them of different types.  They’re very common on bathroom stall bolts.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 hours ago, 2Buck said:

THEY DESIGNED THIS PHONE FOR US S5 HOLDOUTS, I'M FUCKING CERTAIN!

Yes my therapist is one of those people. I cringe so hard on the inside everytime I see him pull it out. :p

Especially these days when you can get a Moto Z Play for $100 and 4 times the battery life for the same performance as a mint S5: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i66tISjiF83RJDjqdrP68IBjfmK9AB5GSQ-hvH2a9KM/edit?usp=sharing

41 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Yes my therapist is one of those people. I cringe so hard on the inside everytime I see him pull it out. :p

Especially these days when you can get a Moto Z Play for $100 and 4 times the battery life for the same performance as a mint S5: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i66tISjiF83RJDjqdrP68IBjfmK9AB5GSQ-hvH2a9KM/edit?usp=sharing

..Umm I’ve never seen my therapist pull it out.  If it ever happened he would stop being my therapist or possibly a therapist for anyone ever.

I'd love a phone to have a easily replaceable/swapable battery.  I don't replace my phone every 2 years.  The only reason for me to buy a new phone is if a very good x5 optical camera was avaialable for a great price.

And it has a swapable battery.

And it has a head phone jack.

Give me all 3 and I'd upgrade in the summer (assuming TMobile has a great 2 year deal), when my current phone is 2 years old.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:50 AM, dizmo said:

I know, that extra $10 to get the added functionality that not everyone needs is suuuuch a hassle.

Don't most people back up their pictures to their computer then?

I also don't complain about the extra $20 wasted on a front facing camera that I never use.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

46 minutes ago, RetroGeneral said:

removable as in only done at registered certified samsung service points where you pay top pricing for low cost nobody's working your precious multi media device with their dirty fingers and even more rotten minds… though the alternative are arabic service points wich service as white money services at the same time deploying street smart kids who always try to hit on your wife!

The Netherlands sound like downtown Detroit in a Blade Runner movie.