Samsung hangs on to the cell - new rugged phone with removable battery

williamcll
Just now, Bombastinator said:

By adapters I assume you mean Bluetooth or WIFI USB wireless access points?

yup

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

yup

So I'd have to buy an extra cable/adapter because I can't plug my phone into a cable... no thanks.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

6 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

So I'd have to buy an extra cable/adapter because I can't plug my phone into a cable... no thanks.

Not exactly.  You’d have to buy two.  Or three depending on how you counted it.  One would plug into a USB port and provide a wireless pad to charge your phone so the phone would have to sit on the desk and not be used.  The other would be a thing that looks a lot like a USB memory stick which would provide Bluetooth or WiFi to connect the phone to the data system of the computer.  Each cost maybe 4 times what a cable that does both at the same time does.  So 2 USB ports used, 8 times the expense, and you can’t use and charge your phone at the same time.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

35 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not exactly.  You’d have to buy two.  Or three depending on how you counted it.  One would plug into a USB port and provide a wireless pad to charge your phone so the phone would have to sit on the desk and not be used.  The other would be a thing that looks a lot like a USB memory stick which would provide Bluetooth or WiFi to connect the phone to the data system of the computer.  Each cost maybe 4 times what a cable that does both at the same time does.  So 2 USB ports used, 8 times the expense, and you can’t use and charge your phone at the same time.

basically a shit experience all around and with any luck something we won't see anytime soon.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Crap, you're right! My current phone does not support wireless charging so I don't have any of those pads. I do have tons of cables that are convenient to use at home and on the go. I also have my phone in a case so I'm not sure if wireless would even work if my phone supported it. :P Indeed, all in all a crap experience, so I don't think I will ever buy a phone that doesn't have the option of using a cable.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

It's not that wasteful. Is it as efficient? Not right now. But it's not like you're sucking back 5x the power. It's maybe 10% less efficient, and it can be faster than a lot of wired methods, so the efficiency loss is really negated by the time of charge. Funny, there's this thing called wifi and bluetooth, both which allow file transfer. I plug my phone into a PC maybe 3 times a year. If that.

Not quite.

"While wired charging is somewhere around 85 percent efficient, Qi wireless charging started around 60 percent, but has now reached 75 percent and up."

Don't just make things up. That's la la land.

1 hour ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Crap, you're right! My current phone does not support wireless charging so I don't have any of those pads. I do have tons of cables that are convenient to use at home and on the go. I also have my phone in a case so I'm not sure if wireless would even work if my phone supported it. :P Indeed, all in all a crap experience, so I don't think I will ever buy a phone that doesn't have the option of using a cable.

I’ve got an iphone7 and use a mophie case to do wireless charging.  There are a lot of cases that do.  The annoying bit for me is it also converts the iPhone connector to miniIUSB2.  I don’t listen to music much though so the lack of phone jack has never bothered me personally.  I got the mophie case mostly because of the combination of wireless charging and a functional magnet attachment system which makes car charging a breeze.  I have a mophie phone doc for my car.  The non proprietary non mophie magnet system uses magnets that are too close together to make magnets particularly useful for car connectors.  I basically never connect the thing to an actual computer though.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I think I've read about this before. Doesn't this use a resistive touch panel instead of a capacitive one so you can use it with gloves (i.e. if you're a fireman or emergency personnel)?

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve got an iphone7 and use a mophie case to do wireless charging.  There are a lot of cases that do.  The annoying bit for me is it also converts the iPhone connector to miniIUSB2.  I don’t listen to music much though so the lack of phone jack has never bothered me personally.  I got the mophie case mostly because of the combination of wireless charging and a functional magnet attachment system which makes car charging a breeze.  I have a mophie phone doc for my car.  The non proprietary non mophie magnet system uses magnets that are too close together to make magnets particularly useful for car connectors.  I basically never connect the thing to an actual computer though.  

Ah, yeah, cool! Sadly that won't work for my use case as I want a case with a vertically flipping cover over the screen, and there sadly aren't many of those around, let alone ones with a charging thing. I also just want to be able to connect to a cable whenever I can, as I won't always have such a connecting device with me. And I sometimes connect my phone to a computer to transfer files. I've taken over 6600 photos in less than 5 months, transferring those via the internet would be complicated and take ages.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:05 AM, williamcll said:

Thoughts: It's not bad, but a 855/+ equipped galaxy S10 active would be a lot cooler. 

Has no one listed the detailed specs yet? Well here they are: 

iQVjHj9.png

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-introduces-galaxy-xcover-pro-a-sleek-durable-and-enterprise-ready-smartphone-built-for-business

better than apple make proprietary screws and putting effort into making phone and laptops un upgradeable or fixable, so they can charge you for more there "innovation" "we did it first" "genius bar" smh, like 100$ 8 gb more ram? and an i5 in a 1400$ laptop.

anyways my point is this is better than apple just juicing every drop of money out of you and letting the more android users take advantage of this.

10 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

I know, that extra $10 to get the added functionality that not everyone needs is suuuuch a hassle.

6 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Not quite.

"While wired charging is somewhere around 85 percent efficient, Qi wireless charging started around 60 percent, but has now reached 75 percent and up."

Don't just make things up. That's la la land.

Not sure where you got that quote, but I do find it rather amusing. Look at what I said.

It's maybe 10% less efficient, and it can be faster than a lot of wired methods, so the efficiency loss is really negated by the time of charge.

Last time I checked, 85 - 75 was 10. But maybe they teach mathematics differently where you're from.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I know, that extra $10 to get the added functionality that not everyone needs is suuuuch a hassle.

Not sure where you got that quote, but I do find it rather amusing. Look at what I said.

Last time I checked, 85 - 75 was 10. But maybe they teach mathematics differently where you're from.

How is it also faster? A 5w charger is a 5w charger, and a 40w charger is a 40w charger, if it's wireless or wired.

PS, my bad. I was more stating how the catch up (that last 10%) was a recent thing. Wireless is less efficient. And can also cause heating problems. Suggesting everyone just deal with it, is rather amusing.

2 hours ago, redbread123 said:

better than apple make proprietary screws and putting effort into making phone and laptops un upgradeable or fixable, so they can charge you for more there "innovation" "we did it first" "genius bar" smh, like 100$ 8 gb more ram? and an i5 in a 1400$ laptop.

anyways my point is this is better than apple just juicing every drop of money out of you and letting the more android users take advantage of this.

Proprietary screws?  That’s a new one.  Rarely used screw types I would believe, but proprietary?  I want to know more about this one.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Proprietary screws?  That’s a new one.  Rarely used screw types I would believe, but proprietary?  I want to know more about this one.

yeah like pentelope screws and sealed back covers because they want to fucking charge 600$ for it, no wonder they're the first trillion dollar scam

28 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

yeah like pentelope screws and sealed back covers because they want to fucking charge 600$ for it, no wonder they're the first trillion dollar scam

Penelope isn’t proprietary, it’s just hard to get

THEY DESIGNED THIS PHONE FOR US S5 HOLDOUTS, I'M FUCKING CERTAIN!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

What? A phone with a body that doesn't slip off your hand like a soap bar? This must be the first phone designed by someone who actually uses a phone without an added protective case in years!

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

That's not what you said though, you said it was 10% less efficient, not that it caught up 10%.  The quote is from QI, who claim they can get up to 85% efficiency which would equal 15% less efficient than a cable in an ideal situation.

EDIT: so regardless how close you are to the point, his math was not wrong, he was not taught differently.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That's not what you said though, you said it was 10% less efficient, not that it caught up 10%.  The quote is from QI, who claim they can get up to 85% efficiency which would equal 15% less efficient than a cable in an ideal situation.

Apparently your reading comprehension needs a little work, so let's dive in to what was said.

I said:

It's not that wasteful. Is it as efficient? Not right now. But it's not like you're sucking back 5x the power. It's maybe 10% less efficient, and it can be faster than a lot of wired methods, so the efficiency loss is really negated by the time of charge. Funny, there's this thing called wifi and bluetooth, both which allow file transfer. I plug my phone into a PC maybe 3 times a year. If that.

To which he replied:

Pay close attention to the bolded red items.

What's the take away here?

• Wired charging is 85% efficient
  • Wireless charging is 75% efficient
  • The difference between 85, and 75 is 10. Not 15.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Apparently your reading comprehension needs a little work, so let's dive in to what was said.

I said:

To which he replied:

Pay close attention to the bolded red items.

What's the take away here?

• Wired charging is 85% efficient
  • Wireless charging is 75% efficient
  • The difference between 85, and 75 is 10. Not 15.

That 75% may be artificially optimistic.  My memory of wireless charging was it was nearer 66%. Which iirc is near a theoretical maximum. Kind of vague on that one though.

10 hours ago, TechyBen said:

How is it also faster? A 5w charger is a 5w charger, and a 40w charger is a 40w charger, if it's wireless or wired.

PS, my bad. I was more stating how the catch up (that last 10%) was a recent thing. Wireless is less efficient. And can also cause heating problems. Suggesting everyone just deal with it, is rather amusing.

That was a misread remark, I was simply stating that it's possible to get fast wireless charging in relation to what the general norm is for most cell phones.
I wasn't saying that at the same wattage one is faster.

Yes, but wireless charging as a whole, really, is a relatively new thing. So. It's of course only going to get better, and they'll find ways around the heating issues, just as they have with wired fast charging. That's where the industry will eventually go. Like it or not.

11 hours ago, Results45 said:

Or a Type 3 civilization that can bend the laws of math and physics at will. ?

Arrrrre you trying to say that wireless charging isn't improving greatly in efficiency?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

That 75% may be artificially optimistic.  My memory of wireless charging was it was nearer 66%. Which iirc is near a theoretical maximum. Kind of vague on that one though.

No. That's simply what older tech was. Efficiencies etc improve as the tech does.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler