x570 Chipset Fans: Are they as loud as people claim? A little feedback from Ryzen owners appreciated

Short version: If you require a silent running machine, DO NOT PURCHASE a MB with a chipset fan!!!

Long Version: ASRock X570 Taichi here. I keep my PC within 2ft from me on my desk. The SB Chipset fan is groany even at 2,200 RPM; and that is in the "Silent" mode. By default, it's set to "Performance"

So in a totally silent room (no AC fan blowing or anything), at idle, or when casually just browsing the web, the SB Chipset fan is all I really hear. Once the ambient noise goes up from such as when the home AC turns on, the blower from the duct masks the SB chipset sound, so it's a none-issue.

Because I'm running two 140mm fan in the front, I'd like to turn off the SB Chipset fan to see if perhaps it can remain cool without being needed. It will require some experimentation with a full CPU/GPU load, but I'm somewhat optimistic. 

FYI, this is the first time I've purchased a MB with a chipset fan. It was my first, and last time I'll ever do that again.

I have a crosshair viii hero and couldn't hear my chipset fan, but I decided to remove it and put a waterblock on it 😀

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D,  RAM: 64 GB Gskill Trident Z DDR5 @6200 Cl32, GPU: Asus RTX 4090 Strix OC, Pump: 2 Aquacomputer D5 Next @ 60% (~160 l/h), Radiators: 2 Mo-Ra3 360 and 1 XSPC  RX360V3 with 21 fans @650 RPM.

Another reason I wish youtubers and other reviewers would do "check up" videos on their initial reviews of things.  

When I got my Gigabyte X570 mobo back in September, the fan was indeed VERY annoying.  In like, November, of 2019 there was a chipset update and its been silent ever since. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2020 at 4:34 AM, B4Quattro said:

I have a crosshair viii hero and couldn't hear my chipset fan, but I decided to remove it and put a waterblock on it 😀

Which water block did you buy? I can't find one to purchase.  My crosshair hero viii has a chipset fan that makes a buzzing sound when the system is idle. I would return it but that is a lot of bother and my oem windows license probably will not transfer to a replacement. 

16 hours ago, Mark hewitt said:

Which water block did you buy? I can't find one to purchase.  My crosshair hero viii has a chipset fan that makes a buzzing sound when the system is idle. I would return it but that is a lot of bother and my oem windows license probably will not transfer to a replacement. 

I used this one:

https://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WatercooleK/Products/10204

There are two mountings included, the bigger one works fine. Be careful not to overtighten the screws.

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D,  RAM: 64 GB Gskill Trident Z DDR5 @6200 Cl32, GPU: Asus RTX 4090 Strix OC, Pump: 2 Aquacomputer D5 Next @ 60% (~160 l/h), Radiators: 2 Mo-Ra3 360 and 1 XSPC  RX360V3 with 21 fans @650 RPM.

MSI MEG X570 ACE is good..can't really hear it...my aio makes more of a fluid sound at startup or if you turn the pc around when it's running..

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R RGB
  • Keyboard
    MSI Vigor GK80 RED GAMING KEYBOARD
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Router
    Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000

• 1 month later...

Gigabyte Aorus Master with 4 Notura fans I can;t hear, but when the chipset fan ramps up every few minutes I hear it and it is annoying. I am going a fan to mount in my case to point at the chipset to hope and keep it cool enough not to spin up its fan.

Gigabyte X570 UD, can't hear the chipset fan.

On 1/10/2020 at 7:06 AM, slorrin said:

Hey all.

TL;DR

I'm asking you, all the Ryzen 3000 owners with x570 motherboards... how loud is the chipset fan really, in 2020,

Tomahawk x570, its off way most of the time, if its on its inaudible, never headd it wine.

Thing to conskder though is the specific board and gpu; boards that have the fan high (close to pciex16-1) will have the fan (partially or totally) blocked by longer gpus. Gpus now have fan-stop as well, but that means they radiate onto the chipset. So skme clmbos can cause chipfan always spinning or ramping up.

Likewise, a long 3 slot cooler gpu will overlap some bit even when the chipset fan position is lower like on the tomahawk (my 2.5 slot cooler strix 2060 just clears it by like a few mm).

And chipset is not a clockdown component like the cpu/gpu; so expect temps above 50c even when idle. Dependkng on kf you nave high ambient temp environment, it can easkly get close to or at the 60c mark where the fan spins up.

So theres no clear cut answer, it depends on the combination of parts, enviornment etc.

Works fine for me with the tomahawk but for the next guy with a 3 slot cooler gpu in tropical climate might mean high rpm fan more than would be nice (thars speculating, but you get the point).

• 5 months later...

Asus X570-F Gaming, Chipset fan is clearly auditable even when idle. 

Don't buy this board. 

The chipset fan on my ASRock X570 Velocita is literally only ever audible on first boot for maybe 10 seconds. Other than that I have never heard it. It's hard to see under my GPU but I am pretty sure it doesn't even spin the rest of the time. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I suspect this will depend on the manufacturer and the specific fan. I have an Asrock X570M Pro4 and I honestly can't hear the fan at all even with the case open.

The Noctua fans on my CPU are louder and they are pretty quiet themselves.