Is this just a bad recording?

radmanhs

I wass going through some of my old ripped cds and noticed all the songs on one of my albums have a consistent 'issue'.  They all have a cutoff at ~20.5khz, however, there still is a decent amount of data above 20.5.  Obviously, if there was a solid shelf with nothing above it would look like a mp3 transcode, but it obviously isnt.

Is this considered a bad recording from the studio?

Untitled.png

23 hours ago, radmanhs said:

I wass going through some of my old ripped cds and noticed all the songs on one of my albums have a consistent 'issue'.  They all have a cutoff at ~20.5khz, however, there still is a decent amount of data above 20.5.  Obviously, if there was a solid shelf with nothing above it would look like a mp3 transcode, but it obviously isnt.

Is this considered a bad recording from the studio?

Untitled.png

Theoretically a CD should top out at 22.05 kHz, as that's half the sample rate.

It is probably just the studio not bothering with anything above that certain frequency, The studio I work at usually cut off any data above 22kHz, as it's pretty pointless outside of lab conditions. As it's on just one album, I would put it down to the studio, everything above 22.05kHz is most likely noise from the CD player itself, as the CD cannot hold data above 22.05kHz.

Also, the data above the 20.5kHz point could also be aliasing artifacts.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

21 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Theoretically a CD should top out at 22.05 kHz, as that's half the sample rate.

It is probably just the studio not bothering with anything above that certain frequency, The studio I work at usually cut off any data above 22kHz, as it's pretty pointless outside of lab conditions. As it's on just one album, I would put it down to the studio, everything above 22.05kHz is most likely noise from the CD player itself, as the CD cannot hold data above 22.05kHz.

Also, the data above the 20.5kHz point could also be aliasing artifacts.

Not to mention that most people don't get to listen to anything close to 20khz due to hearing damage over the years...

PS.: Dudebro, your audio gear is freaking insane, totally off the chart. I've never seen so much Chord and McIntosh stuff put up together. If I knew where you live, I'd secretly invade your basement to have a taste of it all.

4 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Not to mention that most people don't get to listen to anything close to 20khz due to hearing damage over the years...

PS.: Dudebro, your audio gear is freaking insane, totally off the chart. I've never seen so much Chord and McIntosh stuff put up together. If I knew where you live, I'd secretly invade your basement to have a taste of it all.

Haha thanks, It was originally going to be just the 2.0 system, but I decided to start to work from home, so needed an Atmos system... fml.

And yeah most people can't even hear 20khz, but without hearing damage humans can hear 12hz - 28,000hz under specific conditions.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

• 2 weeks later...

I logged into here a couple weeks later to see this haha.  I didn't know cd's couldn't hold above 22.05khz.  I think I'm one of the 'unlucky' few that can hear really high frequencies that I don't want to hear.  Stuff like electricity on an ugly circuit or when you hear a bad recording in a show when the voice actors mic has an insanely high pitch when they talk.  Maybe I should go to a few more heavy metal concerts without earplugs.

4 hours ago, radmanhs said:

I logged into here a couple weeks later to see this haha.  I didn't know cd's couldn't hold above 22.05khz.  I think I'm one of the 'unlucky' few that can hear really high frequencies that I don't want to hear.  Stuff like electricity on an ugly circuit or when you hear a bad recording in a show when the voice actors mic has an insanely high pitch when they talk.  Maybe I should go to a few more heavy metal concerts without earplugs.

I'm the same don't worry. It's the cat scarers that always scare me.

Due to the sample rate of CD's, they physically cannot hold data above 22.05khz.

Maximum stored frequency = sample rate/2

So maximum stored frequency = 44100/2, so 22,050 Hz