Should I sell my GPU now or wait?

Lumario
Go to solution Solved by Midnitewolf,
17 minutes ago, Lumario said:

Hello folks!

As the wise man named Linus once said (atleast I think he said it somewhere(wan show maybe),

it's smarter to sell your GPU once you start hearing rumours about the next wave getting released.

As far as I remember it should be smarter than buying a GPU to "future proof" your pc for a few years.

Well I started hearing some rumours about Nvidias newest cards,

for example being 7nm and on the new "Ampere" architecture which could give them a huge performance upgrade over the older cards.

Now to my question, should I sell my RTX 2070 and buy the SUPER Model, should I wait for the new cards to arrive or should I do something completely different?

(I would rather spend ~100€ a year for having somewhat current performance than wait 5 years to spend ~500€)

I am in a similar dilemma myself and not sure what to do. I need a new GPU today because mine isn't doing what I want it to any more, but with new GPUs supposed to be out within the next 6-8 months, now is not a good time to buy anything.

For one your not quite in as bad a place as I am so I wouldn't get rid or the 2070 just to buy a 2070 Super, there just isn't enough of a performance increase to justify that.  You would probably need to be jumping to a 2080 Super or maybe even a 2080 Ti for there to be any reason to justify a new card right now.   Honestly if I was in your shoes and had a 2070 in my machine, I would just wait for Ampere or even take a look at Big Navi when it finally rears its head.   I can't think of many reasons aside for maybe 4k gaming where you wouldn't get at least 60 fps on anything currently out or coming out between now and Ampere's expected release.

Hello folks!

As the wise man named Linus once said (atleast I think he said it somewhere(wan show maybe),

it's smarter to sell your GPU once you start hearing rumours about the next wave getting released.

As far as I remember it should be smarter than buying a GPU to "future proof" your pc for a few years.

for example being 7nm and on the new "Ampere" architecture which could give them a huge performance upgrade over the older cards.

Now to my question, should I sell my RTX 2070 and buy the SUPER Model, should I wait for the new cards to arrive or should I do something completely different?

(I would rather spend ~100€ a year for having somewhat current performance than wait 5 years to spend ~500€)

3 minutes ago, Lumario said:

Hello folks!

Whatever you do, dont get the super if you already have a 2070. It'll be hard to get your moneys worth. I'd just stick with what you've got until your graphics card isn't giving you the performance you desire. That'd be the best way to get your moneys worth IMO.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

17 minutes ago, Lumario said:

Hello folks!

I am in a similar dilemma myself and not sure what to do. I need a new GPU today because mine isn't doing what I want it to any more, but with new GPUs supposed to be out within the next 6-8 months, now is not a good time to buy anything.

For one your not quite in as bad a place as I am so I wouldn't get rid or the 2070 just to buy a 2070 Super, there just isn't enough of a performance increase to justify that.  You would probably need to be jumping to a 2080 Super or maybe even a 2080 Ti for there to be any reason to justify a new card right now.   Honestly if I was in your shoes and had a 2070 in my machine, I would just wait for Ampere or even take a look at Big Navi when it finally rears its head.   I can't think of many reasons aside for maybe 4k gaming where you wouldn't get at least 60 fps on anything currently out or coming out between now and Ampere's expected release.

I've read through your replies, thanks guys, won't be upgrading anytime soon!

This is solved now!

5 minutes ago, Lumario said:

I've read through your replies, thanks guys, won't be upgrading anytime soon!

This is solved now!

Usually what I do is wait until 2-3 months before new cards are suppose to launch, I pull out existing card and replace with a older GPU i have laying around.  Hold on to the cash i get from the card i sold and order usually within a few day of release.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's