XBOX360E or XBOX360S?

Hawick

Two consoles I cannot decide between: XBOX360E and XBOX360S (Slim)

First off I already own a lot of consoles and I like them all:

-- PS3, PS4, XBOX ONE

The only thing I'm missing is an XBOX360. I'm not sure which one to buy. I know in terms of performance they're the same. I also know the only reason Microsoft released the "E" model is purely because of money. However, it's stil a different set of hardware, so with that being said:

1.) Which one is less likely to get RRoD (Red Ring of Death)?

2.) Which one runs cooler (both the console and the power brick)?

3.) Which power brick is more robust - which one lasts longer (the one that comes with the "S" model or the one with the "E")?

4.) Which one is less noisy? (It's important to me because I remember using PS3 Slim and it's kind of quiet except for the Blu-ray drive. When it reads the disc it sounds like a goddamn printer and it's very annoying.)

5.) Can I record games through HDMI (w/ capture cards) without being forced to use a splitter to bypass HDCP?

Thank you in advance.

9 minutes ago, Hawick said:

Neither. The RRoD problem was basically resolved by the third revision of the original model.

Either the last revision S or any E. Earlier S revisions used larger process nodes for the chips.

3.) Which power brick is more robust - which one lasts longer (the one that comes with the "S" model or the one with the "E")?

This doesn't really matter.

4.) Which one is less noisy? (It's important to me because I remember using PS3 Slim and it's kind of quiet except for the Blu-ray drive. When it reads the disc it sounds like a goddamn printer and it's very annoying.)

I can't speak for the 360 S, but I have a 360 E and I didn't notice it.

5.) Can I record games through HDMI (w/ capture cards) without being forced to use a splitter to bypass HDCP?

Xbox 360 doesn't enable HDCP by default.

1. None, that was basically solved after the first generation

2. E or late model S

3. Doesn't matter

4. E has been less from what I've experienced

5. It's not enabled as is

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

45 minutes ago, Hawick said:

1. Neither console is prone to RRoDing; if it does happen, it's a very rare occurrence and the hardware is genuinely fucked.

2. Xbox 360 Es run cooler. It's essentially the final die shrink of the Xbox 360, which allows it to output less heat.

3. Never particularly noticed the power bricks of the S or E models prematurely fail. I know older-model power bricks for the bigger Xbox 360 models are a little prone to failure, but by the S, they sorted that shit out mostly.

4. Probably the E. That being said, the S model isn't ridiculously loud, but you're most likely to hear the disc drive doing its thing.

5. Yes you can. Because the Xbox 360 will enable or disable HDCP automatically (basically as necessary), capture cards that can't accept an HDCP-encrypted signal (which is about all of them) will still take an Xbox 360's HDMI signal. This is something I can confirm personally.

I'd personally vouch for a matte model Xbox 360 S. Glossy consoles fucking suck and the matte 360 S is a lot less vulnerable to looking like shit if you can't keep it dusted off all the time.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.