Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flying Sausages

Be careful whose charger you borrow: Phone charging cables can hack your devices, experts say

Recommended Posts

On 1/10/2020 at 4:31 PM, mr moose said:

 

It doesn't appear that you watched the video nor tread the article.   Please tell me exactly at which point in the video there is any insinuation of how common this is or dr phil saying something even remotely alarming about it.

 

 

 

 

"While you might think the technology required to modify a charging cable would be expensive, it’s not, and once you’re exposed, it’s fairly easy for the hacker to get a hold of your information." 

“If you were on a trip and realized you forgot to pack underwear, you wouldn't ask all your co-travelers if you could borrow their underwear. You'd go to a store and buy new underwear.”

 

Language using wording like "fairly easy" can have someone infer that its more common than it is. The article and video play out without giving stats since they do not have the answer but say nothing about the difficulty or training someone would need to do these "hacks". When we can see some stats on how common social engineering attacks are as it has been a point to try and stop the call centers around the world. I guess they dont says "this happens X amount of times a day" but the articles experts talk as though you should watch out for the cable your coworker is using. This is directly related to in the article by saying you wouldn't borrow underwear then immediately talking about a charger. They dont directly link the two but when reading it the first sentence is meant to relate and make a point for the second sentence.

 

So your right they don't directly say this happens X amount of times and its common but lets think about other articles that dont give stats and let the reader imply what the conclusion is *cough Antiv*x *cough...

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is quite old news. When i first heard about it was at a Cisco security event early last year and it was already old news to them. How about that "red" usb key available online for like 25$ than give you root access to virtually anything on a network once you plug into anything with usb connection (even work on printers)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 4:20 PM, redbread123 said:

these days everyone's an expert, i'm a self pleasure expert according to todays standards.

I am an expert in cooking pizza


Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GodSeph said:

"While you might think the technology required to modify a charging cable would be expensive, it’s not, and once you’re exposed, it’s fairly easy for the hacker to get a hold of your information." 

“If you were on a trip and realized you forgot to pack underwear, you wouldn't ask all your co-travelers if you could borrow their underwear. You'd go to a store and buy new underwear.”

 

Language using wording like "fairly easy" can have someone infer that its more common than it is. The article and video play out without giving stats since they do not have the answer but say nothing about the difficulty or training someone would need to do these "hacks". When we can see some stats on how common social engineering attacks are as it has been a point to try and stop the call centers around the world. I guess they dont says "this happens X amount of times a day" but the articles experts talk as though you should watch out for the cable your coworker is using. This is directly related to in the article by saying you wouldn't borrow underwear then immediately talking about a charger. They dont directly link the two but when reading it the first sentence is meant to relate and make a point for the second sentence.

 

So your right they don't directly say this happens X amount of times and its common but lets think about other articles that dont give stats and let the reader imply what the conclusion is *cough Antiv*x *cough...

 

 

I think the issue (I have put in bold) is exactly what you did, you read the first sentence then went on a tirade of assumptions about sensationalism.  You claimed:

 

On 1/9/2020 at 3:29 AM, GodSeph said:

The amount of time and effort + the amount of technical knowhow to do something like this I wouldnt worry. 90%+ of all "hacks" is social manipulation and nothing to do with actual hackers. This includes installing malware or opening links you shouldn't. This also happens on phones and Im baffled that people fall for side loading VERY shady apps just because some website says their phone is hacked lol. Dr.Phil is mostly sensationalizing for views as most of his viewers are probably not tech focused. He also has to explain he was a forensic psychiatrist in every episode like people didnt know this.

1. they never said anyone could do it without training

2. it has nothing to do with social hacks

3. Dr Phil barely shows an interest in the technology let alone sensationalizing anything

 

They did not give numbers because they explained the how the technology works instead, they explained how you have to be targeted in order for it to work.   Everything else is just your assumption.  

 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mr moose said:

 

 

I think the issue (I have put in bold) is exactly what you did, you read the first sentence then went on a tirade of assumptions about sensationalism.  You claimed:

 

1. they never said anyone could do it without training

2. it has nothing to do with social hacks

3. Dr Phil barely shows an interest in the technology let alone sensationalizing anything

 

They did not give numbers because they explained the how the technology works instead, they explained how you have to be targeted in order for it to work.   Everything else is just your assumption.  

 

My original post was to bring up that social engineering is way more prevalent but since its not always brought up as much as it should. For how much money it makes from the NA crowd you think it would be brought up more about how to tell if someone is trying to scam you over the phone/computer. But instead we always hear the new hack about X. 

 

My whole beginning was a IMO but you also took it how most would take the articles and video. I believe DrPhil does sensationalize most of his shows as you cannot deal with the issues he hosts in a 1-2 hour shooting ( could be hours cut down but most are pretty short as I had a friend attend a showing). They usually send the guests off to another place for help but its usually not for a long time and they usually just pay for a support group. You can believe he is saving lives but like most reality shows I question what is actually being presented and how it is being presented. Not questioning it would be silly imo. But you do you and I will do I :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh fuck guess i cant borrow my grandma's cable anymore. She has a cable :o

 

I mean: Dont take cables from anyone you dont trust in the first place.

 

Edit: or anything you dont trust. Common sense honestly

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GodSeph said:

My original post was to bring up that social engineering is way more prevalent but since its not always brought up as much as it should. For how much money it makes from the NA crowd you think it would be brought up more about how to tell if someone is trying to scam you over the phone/computer. But instead we always hear the new hack about X. 

 

My whole beginning was a IMO but you also took it how most would take the articles and video. I believe DrPhil does sensationalize most of his shows as you cannot deal with the issues he hosts in a 1-2 hour shooting ( could be hours cut down but most are pretty short as I had a friend attend a showing). They usually send the guests off to another place for help but its usually not for a long time and they usually just pay for a support group. You can believe he is saving lives but like most reality shows I question what is actually being presented and how it is being presented. Not questioning it would be silly imo. But you do you and I will do I :)

We are not talking about other shows of his, nor are we talking about how critical of the product you or I are, we are talking about the information provided in the video and the article, both of which was rather thorough and frankly quite unsensational.  The article even quoted Charles Henderson (head of security at X-force RED) who explained thoroughly that this wasn't a social hack and wasn't something that would be widespread. 

 

I really fail to see how you determined that either article or video were anything presenting anything other than that.   It's not a case of being misled by dodgy media, anyone who fails to understand this either didn't bother to read the article/watch the video or have bigger problems,  In which case no amount of question will likely help.

 

 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mr moose said:

We are not talking about other shows of his, nor are we talking about how critical of the product you or I are, we are talking about the information provided in the video and the article, both of which was rather thorough and frankly quite unsensational.  The article even quoted Charles Henderson (head of security at X-force RED) who explained thoroughly that this wasn't a social hack and wasn't something that would be widespread. 

 

I really fail to see how you determined that either article or video were anything presenting anything other than that.   It's not a case of being misled by dodgy media, anyone who fails to understand this either didn't bother to read the article/watch the video or have bigger problems,  In which case no amount of question will likely help.

 

 

"fails to understand having bigger problems" glad its gone to derogatory ways to insult someone. Im just going to leave it at that. please stay on topic. as my original was pointing out that the show sensationalises things and that other social engineering is more commonplace for the everyday person? Are you saying its not as that would be the argument? Does the show no sensationalize episodes for its viewers? Then you should check out CNN/Fox they never do anything like this and have a very subjective view on everything :). last post on this topic bc your not going to change ur view as such why argue :)

  

On 1/8/2020 at 10:29 AM, GodSeph said:

The amount of time and effort + the amount of technical knowhow to do something like this I wouldnt worry. 90%+ of all "hacks" is social manipulation and nothing to do with actual hackers. This includes installing malware or opening links you shouldn't. This also happens on phones and Im baffled that people fall for side loading VERY shady apps just because some website says their phone is hacked lol. Dr.Phil is mostly sensationalizing for views as most of his viewers are probably not tech focused. He also has to explain he was a forensic psychiatrist in every episode like people didnt know this.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GodSeph said:

"fails to understand having bigger problems" glad its gone to derogatory ways to insult someone. Im just going to leave it at that. please stay on topic. as my original was pointing out that the show sensationalises things and that other social engineering is more commonplace for the everyday person? Are you saying its not as that would be the argument? Does the show no sensationalize episodes for its viewers? Then you should check out CNN/Fox they never do anything like this and have a very subjective view on everything :). last post on this topic bc your not going to change ur view as such why argue :)

  

 

i just wanna add in here to agree with you, my parents who are not tech savvy at all and can barely turn subs off on netflix, watched this segment and the entire time they were going "wow it's that easy that's so scary it could happen anywhere!!!!!!!!

 

to people like us it's fine

 

to people like them this is 100% sensationalized as a WATCH OUT THE HACKER BOOGYMAN IS GONNA GET YA AND STEAL YOUR DATA ANYWHERE ANY TIME EVEN THE CORDS YOU ALREADY HAVE

Link to post
Share on other sites

< content removed >

 

Hopefully people are smart like you so they understand that it isnt common issue and research what the more common issues are. Mostly when people get called by "Microsoft" or have a website popup/email with a shady link or infected PDF as those are more of an issue than your significant other sharing your micro usb cable :)

Edited by LogicalDrm
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×