Who's going from the UK? - LTX2020

bigheadm

Anyone going from the UK or been before?

Im from the North West, I'm considering going to LTX2020, but I was wondering what sort of prices people have managed to get so far - or paid last year? 

They seem quite expensive - I realise Vancouver is expensive in general, but maybe it is more of a time of year thing this time,as other times of year seem much much cheaper! 

I'm just looking to gauge it before I commit! 

I'm thinking of going this year, but hotels do seem quite pricey so it depends if I can find a good deal or not as to whether I go.

4 minutes ago, Spoontard said:

I'm thinking of going this year, but hotels do seem quite pricey so it depends if I can find a good deal or not as to whether I go.

That's playing into it for me too - wouldn't just want to go for the two days, been looking at the option of air bnb, or to be out a bit from location and get car hire or public transport in. 

It's definitely a high financial commitment to go! :D

Just now, bigheadm said:

That's playing into it for me too - wouldn't just want to go for the two days, been looking at the option of air bnb, or to be out a bit from location and get car hire or public transport in. 

It's definitely a high financial commitment to go! :D

I'm looking to go for around a week as it's an awful long way to go just for a couple of days. I believe public transport is pretty good so I think I'm going to start looking into it a little further and see how much the prices drop the further you get from the convention centre.

7 minutes ago, Spoontard said:

I'm looking to go for around a week as it's an awful long way to go just for a couple of days. I believe public transport is pretty good so I think I'm going to start looking into it a little further and see how much the prices drop the further you get from the convention centre.

Yeah - that's what I mean on the hotel prices. 

Maybe I'll just go byoc and rest my head on my laptop ^_^

I'm not sure what the Pound is going to do if Brexit actually happens.  It might be worth doing some research to see if experts have made any guesses to what the Pound is going to be worth in the near future.  The Pound could be worth less in a few months, but then again it could be worth more.   

As far as Air BnB goes recent laws may make finding a place difficult.  New laws introduced last year make it illegal to rent a property the owner doesn't live in and requires a business permit to list on Air BnB.  There is a risk your reservation could be cancelled if the property is removed from the site because they didn't bother to follow the law.  

For me its worth it is worth staying in a hotel downtown.  I get more out of the city since I don't have to take taxi's or public transportation to and from the hotel. Which is especially nice when I get tired around 1400 - 1800 while I'm getting over jetlag.  It all depends on cost and how much time you have.  I got as much out of the city as I could and walked around 80 miles in my last 7 days.     

It is a long way to go for a couple of days.  It took me nearly a full week to get over jetlag last year.  And last year instead of just going for the event I stayed in Vancouver for 10 days and just made it part of my summer holiday.  This year I'm heading to Las Vegas during my first full weekend in Vancouver and then spending the rest of the time back in Vancouver exploring the city and trying to find restuarants I wanted to try, but never found again. Flying to Las Vegas and getting a hotel cost nearly the same as staying in Vancouver over that weekend since the rates in the hotel I've picked go up to £450/night during that time.   

Edit: last year Dreamhack secured a block of rooms at a discount. I am sure they will do that again. They usually put that info out in February.

Ipaid a little more than $2,000 USD at Pinnacle Harbourfront. For a Harbour view room for 3 people. I really wanted a room with a view that was walking distance. Make sure to check the hotel website before you book off of kayak, trivago, booking, Priceline, etc. The hotel itself had the best deal. I wanted to do Airbnb this year but not finding anything close for less expensive than I paid last year. A lot of people who did byoc just stayed at the convention center. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

• 1 month later...

Last year I spent about £1800 on flight and hotel alone, but this year I have found a much cheaper AirBnb and the flights are currently cheaper. Flying out on the 4th and coming back on the 11th from Gatwick. 
@BobbyPdue Want to go to breakfast and Cafe Jam again?

CPU: i5 3570
Mobo: P8Z77-V LK
Drives: 1TB 850 Evo,1TB 840 Evo
Graphics Card: 970 Strix

On 1/7/2020 at 9:24 PM, bigheadm said:

Anyone going from the UK or been before?

Im from the North West, I'm considering going to LTX2020, but I was wondering what sort of prices people have managed to get so far - or paid last year? 

They seem quite expensive - I realise Vancouver is expensive in general, but maybe it is more of a time of year thing this time,as other times of year seem much much cheaper! 

I'm just looking to gauge it before I commit! 

I'm north east myself and should be flying from Manchester or Newcastle 7th to the 10th all being well but I'm really struggling with hotels £700+ for 3 nights is just too much!! 

22 hours ago, Spartan256 said:

Last year I spent about £1800 on flight and hotel alone, but this year I have found a much cheaper AirBnb and the flights are currently cheaper. Flying out on the 4th and coming back on the 11th from Gatwick. 
@BobbyPdue Want to go to breakfast and Cafe Jam again?

Heck yeah I want to get breakfast again!! I think I'll be there the same days as you.  

22 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

I'm really struggling with hotels £700+ for 3 nights is just too much!! 

Yeah Vancouver hotels are super expensive.