Macbook pro 16" 2.4 i9 5500m 8GB + eGPU RX 5700 XT

SilentRex

Greetings all. 

I've got some questions about my setup so here it goes: 

I received an RX 5700 XT for Christmas to use in my home pc. (i7 6700k 4.6 Ghz, 16GB, GTX 970 SLI) 

This rig is still completely fine for the games I play and I don't see the need to upgrade. 

I also have the new Macbook pro 16" 2.4 i9 5500m 8GB for school. I was thinking about buying the Razer Core X eGPU box and place the new 5700 XT in there to use with my laptop so I can game on that a little better with an external display.(I live in 2 different places). Will this CPU and GPU combination be a good deal or should I get (a lot) more performance when I put the 5700 XT in my home rig and upgrade that down the line which would cost me a lot more. I'm mostly worried the cpu of the macbook pro will overheat resulting in worse performance on there thus leading to me putting the 5700 XT in my home rig and leaving the laptop as is. Putting a GTX 970 in the eGPU is also not viable since I would like to use the GPU for tasks in macOS. 

Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, SilentRex said:

Greetings all. 

I received an RX 5700 XT for Christmas to use in my home pc. (i7 6700k 4.6 Ghz, 16GB, GTX 970 SLI) 

This rig is still completely fine for the games I play and I don't see the need to upgrade. 

I also have the new Macbook pro 16" 2.4 i9 5500m 8GB for school. I was thinking about buying the Razer Core X eGPU box and place the new 5700 XT in there to use with my laptop so I can game on that a little better with an external display.(I live in 2 different places). Will this CPU and GPU combination be a good deal or should I get (a lot) more performance when I put the 5700 XT in my home rig and upgrade that down the line which would cost me a lot more. I'm mostly worried the cpu of the macbook pro will overheat resulting in worse performance on there thus leading to me putting the 5700 XT in my home rig and leaving the laptop as is. Putting a GTX 970 in the eGPU is also not viable since I would like to use the GPU for tasks in macOS. 

Thanks in advance!

It will most likely be limited by the macbook but will give you a nice boost in performance. You can also just keep using the amd 5500m gpu in it and then put the 5700xt in the pc as that would be the best option and then sell the 970's. 

17 minutes ago, SilentRex said:

Greetings all. 

Thanks in advance!

The tunderbolt3 that is required to make an eGPU work will run 40gb a sec.  that’s not enough to run a 5700xt at full speed.  It is enough for a 580.  The other problem you may run into is that Mac may not have written a driver for the 5700xt yet.

is the SLI desktop a gaming computer or are you using that SLI for some sort of compute or art thing?  If yes, the 5700xt won’t do that stuff for beans and it might as well go in an eGPU.  If it’s just a gaming box you will see a huge improvement from the 5700xt.

What you MIGHT be able to do is IF mac has drivers for the Gtx970 (doubtful) you could put one of those in the thing.  Those 970s are EOL imho.  SLI works on very few things now.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.