Strange ISP policy or...?

Raptor_Fawr
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,

Curious that they never thought to block you adding another network device.  Sounds like security there is scarily inadequate with the other things you've said.

I don't get it. 

I'm part of this domain at work but I'm only a normal user, no admin privileges (I have them on C:/ tho)

I can use google chrome firefox explorer and edge to access the internet, some websites are blocked as usual but I can access most of the internet without issues. 

Except that I cannot update windows nor office. I've installed office16 but it's in english and I wanted to change language but I can't. I've downloaded setuplanguagepack and it says "unable to install because you have no internet connection. This issue also happened to me with another software

So I tried to download TOR and use it to somehow bypass this issue since apparently microsoft doesn't provide offline installers for that, but tor is also blocked in some way and it cannot connect to the internet. 

I'm out of ideas ?‍♂️

Sounds like your issue needs to be discussed with the IT department. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

If you're unable to connect to the Internet it sounds like something you need to talk to the IT Dept about. As for everything else it's pretty standard in offices and on Domains to have restrictions on both the computer and web access. Chances are there's a firewall or web-filter in place preventing you from accessing or using the services you're trying to access where again you'd need to consult your IT Dept to ask if it's something you're allowed to do.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Sounds like your issue needs to be discussed with the IT department. 

True but the last time they did someting for me it took them 2 weeks for a 3 minutes issue ? literally the guy entered the door and while saying sorry for being so late he solved the problem and went out. 

Just now, Raptor_Fawr said:

True but the last time they did someting for me it took them 2 weeks for a 3 minutes issue ? literally the guy entered the door and while saying sorry for being so late he solved the problem and went out. 

Without privileges nobody can here help you. Thats whole reason why IT departments exist, thats your only option.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Raptor_Fawr said:

??? Thank you anyway guys

Ask them for temp domain admin privileges for X hours. Install what you have to install, then while your escalated increase your local privileges on that computer to admin that way on that machine your domain account has local admin privileges even after the domain admin privileges expire.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

14 minutes ago, Raptor_Fawr said:

Except that I cannot update windows nor office. I've installed office16 but it's in english and I wanted to change language but I can't.

Updates in a domain are usually managed centrally (Search for WSUS) so that all computers are on the same patch level. Makes support easier and allows IT to vet updates to avoid breaking stuff.

1 minute ago, ddennis002 said:

Ask them for temp domain admin privileges for X hours. Install what you have to install, then while your escalated increase your local privileges on that computer to admin that way on that machine your domain account has local admin privileges even after the domain admin privileges expire.

Yeah, right. No admin worth their salt will do that without supervision. Plus, that is most likely a breach of contract and might get OP fired.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yeah, right. No admin worth their salt will do that without supervision. Plus, that is most likely a breach of contract and might get OP fired.

We do domain admin privileges for 1 hour to allow user to self install programs. This is on a per request basis and the user has to call in to verify identity and provide computer name and information ect.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

3 hours ago, Raptor_Fawr said:

I don't get it. 

I'm part of this domain at work but I'm only a normal user, no admin privileges (I have them on C:/ tho)

I can use google chrome firefox explorer and edge to access the internet, some websites are blocked as usual but I can access most of the internet without issues. 

Except that I cannot update windows nor office. I've installed office16 but it's in english and I wanted to change language but I can't. I've downloaded setuplanguagepack and it says "unable to install because you have no internet connection. This issue also happened to me with another software

So I tried to download TOR and use it to somehow bypass this issue since apparently microsoft doesn't provide offline installers for that, but tor is also blocked in some way and it cannot connect to the internet. 

I'm out of ideas ?‍♂️

The thing about enterprise Windows is IT departments have a greater level of control over updates. You will need to contact IT and have them push the update. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Unfortunately I work in a place where they don't really care about that stuff and that's why I've asked here... My company is big but relies mostly on outdated stuff to get it going, in my office alone (which consist on 10-15 people and it's less than 5% of the company branch I work in) there are two people working with WinXP, one of them has Vista, four have Win7 and the others have Win10 (some have pro, some others have enterprise) so it's a complete mess. I had to reinstall windows recently and everything works fine except I have some language issues (some coworkers still ask me why some software in my computer shows an english interface when they notice) 

6 hours ago, ddennis002 said:

We do domain admin privileges for 1 hour to allow user to self install programs. This is on a per request basis and the user has to call in to verify identity and provide computer name and information ect.

Hm, interesting. Wouldn't a local admin account be enough though? That sounds like a good way for an employee to get access to things they should never have.

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Hm, interesting. Wouldn't a local admin account be enough though? That sounds like a good way for an employee to get access to things they should never have.

You can set the Domain Admin privileges for just one machine, that is why we collect the computer name. Yes a local admin account would be enough and there is one built into every machine but that would require giving out the master admin password which would work on every pc on the network. We promote to domain admin cause we can control that at the server level and restrict that privilege to a given machine.

I believe we give them domain power user privileges not admin, but its almost the same.

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

9 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Wouldn't a local admin account be enough though?

What I remember from my Windows 2003 server course from a million years ago. IT departments sorta create their own update servers. So when you try to update Windows or other Microsoft software it hits the internal update server. This is so IT departments can test updates before they are deployed. Not sure if its still done this way, but Id imangine it is. Keep in mind that Pro/Enterpise Windows can connect to a domain. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

What I remember from my Windows 2003 server course from a million years ago. IT departments sorta create their own update servers. So when you try to update Windows or other Microsoft software it hits the internal update server. This is so IT departments can test updates before they are deployed. Not sure if its still done this way, but Id imangine it is. Keep in mind that Pro/Enterpise Windows can connect to a domain. 

Yes this is very much how it is still done.

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Yep, that's what I mentioned above, "WSUS" (Windows Server Update Services).

This topic is still interesting even if it will not help me... I always wondered how things were done in the IT department, I've configured a lot of local machines (I've just switched my main home computer to windows10 like two hours ago lol, win7 was perfect for me but I also needed some software that it's not supported anymore for that OS) but I've never worked with servers

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I was able to update my language etc by using a usb wifi dongle, I guess it was just a firewall issue that I had no control over ?‍♂️

Curious that they never thought to block you adding another network device.  Sounds like security there is scarily inadequate with the other things you've said.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 1/7/2020 at 4:40 PM, Raptor_Fawr said:

Unfortunately I work in a place where they don't really care about that stuff and that's why I've asked here... My company is big but relies mostly on outdated stuff to get it going, in my office alone (which consist on 10-15 people and it's less than 5% of the company branch I work in) there are two people working with WinXP, one of them has Vista, four have Win7 and the others have Win10 (some have pro, some others have enterprise) so it's a complete mess. I had to reinstall windows recently and everything works fine except I have some language issues (some coworkers still ask me why some software in my computer shows an english interface when they notice) 

Why did you have to reinstall Windows? Why didn’t IT take care of that for you?

Speaking as someone who works in IT, you want to try to work with them as much as possible. Trying to bypass them isn’t a good long term strategy. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 1/8/2020 at 7:12 AM, Eigenvektor said:

Yep, that's what I mentioned above, "WSUS" (Windows Server Update Services).

TBH a lot of SMEs are moving away from the WSUS model now.  I know the last few companies I've worked at have.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

11 hours ago, Samfisher said:

TBH a lot of SMEs are moving away from the WSUS model now.  I know the last few companies I've worked at have.

What exactly are they replacing that model with? Just let the workstations download updates directly from Microsoft?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

What exactly are they replacing that model with? Just let the workstations download updates directly from Microsoft?

Yeah, just direct internet download from MS.  I haven't given it much thought why they're doing it tho.  Must be some reason I just haven't thought off, considering I've never thought about it much in the first place :P

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

54 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Yeah, just direct internet download from MS.  I haven't given it much thought why they're doing it tho.  Must be some reason I just haven't thought off, considering I've never thought about it much in the first place :P

It kinda makes sense for SME's  (which I use that term for ~50ish or less staff) if they don't need strict version control for compatibility or compliance. WSUS/SCCM can be a pain to maintain. Just put a policy in place to disable feature updates and let them do it themselves from the internet. Just as long as theyre aware if their machine breaks its a reimage, far less hassle to reinstall the OS than to muck about with endpoints, packages, failed updates, etc...for a relatively small number of people. 

Enterprise and servers, SCCM is still the way to go. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 4:48 AM, dalekphalm said:

Why did you have to reinstall Windows? Why didn’t IT take care of that for you?

Speaking as someone who works in IT, you want to try to work with them as much as possible. Trying to bypass them isn’t a good long term strategy. 

In my country there are some real issues with technology. Some companies have very old and outdated hardware with no intention to replace it. My computer specifically have a 2007 motherboard and 2gb ram, company antivirus and windows alone use 1,5 gb and our main enviroinment is based on google chrome...